I don't think Leigh even gets a look in on the 2040 Metrolink plans, they do mention Atherton for Tram Trains between Wigan and Manchester.

Would be an awfully big diversion of the line to go from Atherton to Leigh and then back to the Wigan line again.

Edit: if they wanted another route to Liverpool they could reopen the like to Tyldesley and past Bickershaw and over to St Helens, but Leigh still looks out on a limb

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 08:46, rodent279 said:

Not yet a ghost in the machine, the footbridge over the WCML at Leighton Buzzard is scheduled for demolition over Easter. Here's a couple of photos.

IMG_20190217_160820.jpg

IMG_20190217_154609.jpg

Footbridge has now been demolished, although what happens next seems unclear. The fences each side of the line have been made good quite neatly as if for permanent use. But the closure order on the public footpath is only temporary and expires in July. A quick scan of google found minutes of the local council from February where it is stated that the county council are unaware of any request to close the right of way permanently. Which leaves the possibility that come the end of July when the closure of the right of way expires it will be legal if somewhat dodgy to cut your way through the fence jump off the platform cross the tracks climb onto the middle platform jump off that climb onto the far platform and then cut your way out through the far fence. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Trog said:

Footbridge has now been demolished, although what happens next seems unclear. The fences each side of the line have been made good quite neatly as if for permanent use. But the closure order on the public footpath is only temporary and expires in July. A quick scan of google found minutes of the local council from February where it is stated that the county council are unaware of any request to close the right of way permanently. Which leaves the possibility that come the end of July when the closure of the right of way expires it will be legal if somewhat dodgy to cut your way through the fence jump off the platform cross the tracks climb onto the middle platform jump off that climb onto the far platform and then cut your way out through the far fence. 

In theory, if there is no bridge by the end of July, Network rail should be fined heavily for obstructing the footpath.  More likely they will just apply for an extension of the temporary closure, then another and then another........

Edited by eastglosmog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Welcome to my Manor!!!  It seems to have only become visible since a couple of chaps finally fixed the lights a few months back after several years of darkness. 

Littlehampton is the same except the Red Star Parcels panel is still fully visible!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

Welcome to my Manor!!!  It seems to have only become visible since a couple of chaps finally fixed the lights a few months back after several years of darkness. 

Littlehampton is the same except the Red Star Parcels panel is still fully visible!

I was on a 5.30 am rail replacement spare and saw it lit so i thought i ought to grab a picture. It shows pretty well through the white paint when lit doesn't it lol

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Ah .... Red Star Parcels - another useful service demolished in the name of progress. 

( Better if Amazon would resurrect Red Star than fill sky with droning drones.)

• Agree 3

43 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

Ah .... Red Star Parcels - another useful service demolished in the name of progress. 

( Better if Amazon would resurrect Red Star than fill sky with droning drones.)

The Red Star office at the Central Station (Newcastle) is still the chosen pick up point for Taxis even though it ceased to exist many years ago!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Still clinging to life probably a good 50 years after its purpose ended...enamel sign on the brickwork of Mirfield Viaduct at Back Station Road.

2003446154_PrivateroadtothestationsignMirfield24052019-RMweb.jpg.6da96617b14dbaaf94a5bba3a00179a0.jpg 

Mirfield, West Yorkshire.

• Like 13

13 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Closed in 1989 Portobello terminal and the crane is still there!

Portobello.JPG

In the sidings to the east of the former terminal there is an electrification train of converted Mk1 stock that has lain there since the completion of ECML electrification in 1990, mouldering away quietly!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, melmerby said:

As regards the above:

https://www.elsecarrailway.co.uk/index.php/about-us/our-extension

Newly installed. To be an automatic barrier crossing operated by track circuits.

2009 and they weren't there: https://goo.gl/maps/ZDFDmydo14pb1N5e9

Someone's ghost resurrected then

Looking at their proposals it looks as if it is intended to be Traincrew operated full barriers with auto raise when  the train has cleared the crossing. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Bon Accord said:

In the sidings to the east of the former terminal there is an electrification train of converted Mk1 stock that has lain there since the completion of ECML electrification in 1990, mouldering away quietly!

Here it is:

https://goo.gl/maps/7mr3EuLM5rgLnBH18

https://goo.gl/maps/HwwVymrodxMekbPv5

https://goo.gl/maps/ctxGskgGJo4ciLRK8

Edited by melmerby
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

NAH ! ............ that's most definitely NOT Mk1 stock : probably of LMS origin - the one retaining window openings looks like a ( so called ) Period II vehicle.

It is mark 1 stock and there are six vehicles all told. Better photographs of two of them here:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975686-1

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975682

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bon Accord said:

It is mark 1 stock and there are six vehicles all told. Better photographs of two of them here:

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975686-1

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975682

OK - that definitely IS MK1 stock ( The square window grilles threw me ! ) .......... I stand corrected  -  b****r it I can't be bothered to get up and will remain seated.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Most if not all of the pre-grouping stock had gone by 1980. My bedroom when I lived in Romford overlooked the overhead engineers yard and I remember the converted Mk1 stock arriving in one batch fresh out of the paint shop about 1978.

3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Most if not all of the pre-grouping stock had gone by 1980. My bedroom when I lived in Romford overlooked the overhead engineers yard and I remember the converted Mk1 stock arriving in one batch fresh out of the paint shop about 1978.

After 41 years or so I reckon those things are due back in the paintshop ..........

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Wickham Green said:

After 41 years or so I reckon those things are due back in the paintshop ..........

The one on the far right needs a bit more paint than the rest:(

• Funny 1

• 1 month later...
On 04/01/2012 at 17:28, noiseboy72 said:

Not railway related, but up in one of the upper levels of Peterborough Cathedral there is still an ARP warden's post, complete with tin helmets and fire buckets. Not sure about the warden himself, but in that place, anything is possible...

Taken just near that location - one of the templates used during the 1880s restoration of the tower. All four are still in storage, and show the profiles of the four supporting columns - none of which are either internally symmetrical, or match any of the other three! 

78A4CFE3-2BF8-49E8-91B9-29C34C89EAEE.jpeg.df169b363585456dba2130832884eaf6.jpegr

• Like 3

On 03/02/2014 at 15:57, melmerby said:

Rather like all the retro at Birmingham Moor St. (some original GWR some new copies.)

Keith

Moor St is a little gem though, isn’t it? There can’t be many such complete stations available for refurbishment. 

• Like 1

On 12/05/2016 at 08:37, Nearholmer said:

Some of the best "ghosts" that I've encountered were underneath Waterloo station. In about 1977, I spent a month assisting a chap who had the task of cataloging all of the "non-traction" electrical equipment at Waterloo, down to the last 13A socket, and producing a proper routine inspection/test/maintenance schedule - this was an absolutely massive task.

Under the station was (still is, but different) an incredible warren, on multiple levels. My favourite parts were the theatre, a tiny affair of about fifty seats, but fully-equipped, which had been the base of the SR Dramatic Society; the uniform store arch, which had odd leftovers dating back decades; the BTP rifle range, where the sergeant in charge taught me handgun target shooting during lunch breaks, using an impressively heavy thing that fired .303 ammunition (I sort of can't imagine this being allowed now!); and, the poster store, from which I took home "flyers" for the introduction of the Atlantic Coast Express, and smaller "handouts" which gave details of the schedule before it even got named, dating from the early 1920s.

Needless to say, we found lots of cWW1 electrical kit,dating from when the station was rebuilt, most of which we, sadly, had to condemn.

Kevin

The warren under Waterloo was an amazing place. During the early 90s I was scratching along doing what’s now euphemised as “a portfolio of contract work” and I did some settlement monitoring in the Waterloo and City Line. There was, and probsbly still is, an astonishing patchwork of ad-hoc repair work dating from the Blitz and still in situ due to the cost and complexity of doing anything about it. 

• Like 1