Farish N gauge buses - now out

bmthtrains - David

I bought one of these today, with the view to see how easy it is to 'modernise' it, so thought I'd post some photos before I took it apart and resprayed it.

Very nice little model it is too, finely moulded, with very clear printing. For £7, good value as well I think. A long time waiting for these, but worth it I think.

David

post-6666-0-77432400-1323964693_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-78910300-1323964720_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-66358500-1323964745_thumb.jpg

I bought one of these today, with the view to see how easy it is to 'modernise' it, so thought I'd post some photos before I took it apart and resprayed it.

Very nice little model it is too, finely moulded, with very clear printing. For £7, good value as well I think. A long time waiting for these, but worth it I think.

David

post-6666-0-77432400-1323964693_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-78910300-1323964720_thumb.jpg

post-6666-0-66358500-1323964745_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting pictures. I had the same idea about modernising this one, will be interested to see how yours turns out.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

Its a shrunk EFE Leyland National Mk1! The printing looks to be very fine. The wheels need tidying up so they fill the wheel arches properly.

I'll be heading to my local retailer tomorrow to pick some up (assuming they have some!) along with the Bristol VR and Bristol RELH ECW 1964 style coach :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

The glazing particularly the windscreen looks to be a letdown. Obviously the photos are much enlarged from the real thing but even so.

The windscreen moulding looks like it needs to be pushed inwards to be more flush at the sides. The Leyland National Mk1 front is a subtle shape and minor positioning errors like this shout loud. Conversely the side windows are recessed too much. These may be features of individual assembly and possibly correctable.

Hattons have a picture of the Bristol VRT which looks slightly better assembled and captures the prototype well to my eye.

• RMweb Premium

It has been established in the discussion mentioned in post 2 of this thread that these models are not to scale. They seem to be approximately 1:160 though with some variation within individual vehicles. :(

• 3 weeks later...

It has been established in the discussion mentioned in post 2 of this thread that these models are not to scale. They seem to be approximately 1:160 though with some variation within individual vehicles. :(

Yes, the VRT and RELH which I just recieved and just measured with a PECO British N Scale rule are both noticably underscale. The double deck VRT is about a foot and a half too low in scale height, and the RELH is about 3 scale feet too short in length. Extremely disappointing and a waste of money. It is too bad because they are nice models, but they really aren't suitable for a British outline layout given how noticably underscale they are. They would be much more appropriate for a 1:160 layout. But who does a 1:160 British outline layout?

IMHO, Bachmann/Farish really dropped the ball here.

I should mention that although the packaging for both buses states "N Scale Buses," nowhere on either package (or on the buses themselves) does it state the actual scale.

I was really looking foward to getting these but having received them am frankly quite disappointed. I cannot recommend them and will be returning them. Looks like I will stick with Oxford Diecast for now.

Matt

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warning about the scale, I already have some Oxford Diecast buses so the discrepancy would be even more obvious if the 2 scales were placed side by side. What a shame, they look like nice models. May look ok towards the back of the layout with some 1/160 figures at the bus stop.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

These buses wouldn't be too bad put at the back of a layout where their small size could be used with forced perspective.

It is a bit disapointing though - I was looking forward to building LEV and the Leyland bodied Mk1 too.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Hey.

Could anybody recommend if GF have done a bus/coach that might be suitable of a North Wales layout circa late 70's / early 80's?

I'd like a vehicle for my backscene, but I know nout about em.

Regards

Lee

Hey.

Could anybody recommend if GF have done a bus/coach that might be suitable of a North Wales layout circa late 70's / early 80's?

I'd like a vehicle for my backscene, but I know nout about em.

Regards

Lee

The Bristol RELH lasted in to the late 70s and the VR and National are mid 1970s- early 80s production, and Crosvile had examples of all those three.

(I'm just curious where you are sourcing the 1:160 scale UK rolling stock to match though... :diablo_mini:)

Perversely, this may be the one use where the undernourished models come into their own.

If Lee wants to use for back-scene, a 1:160 bus will force perspective a wee bit, so won't be as bad as using at the front of house or, dare I say it, posed on a bridge!

Well, when I sent the buses I bought back to Hattons for a refund, I enclosed a letter wherein I suggested Hattons might wish to tell Bachmann Europe PLC that because of the wrong scale the entire inventory of Farish buses Hattons had purchased was defective. They certainly are not suitable for purpose!

Does anyone from Bachmann read this board? I know Dapol Dave from Dapol does, but I've never seen anyone post here who has identified himself as an official representative of Bachmann.

When you consider the number of person-hours spent on concept, design, marketing, and manufacture, not to mention the capital spent, I think these wrong-scaled buses will go down as one of Bachmann's more costly screw-ups. I mean, it's not just one bus - it's a complete series of them. What a complete waste.

When I think of the first Ixion Manor, and now these buses, I have to ask how such basic errors in scale can happen. I have no product design or engineering background, but surely getting the scale right must be the first thing that is considered and solved before basic design work begins when your business is the making of SCALE models?

Matt

Has anyone raised the scale issue with Bachmann?

I'm reserving judgement until I see one in the flesh when I'm over visiting family in April.

The real pity would be that if sales are poor due to the scale issue, whether Bachmann/Farish would consider any further models in this range, especially given the long lead time experienced with these.

Well, when I sent the buses I bought back to Hattons for a refund, I enclosed a letter wherein I suggested Hattons might wish to tell Bachmann Europe PLC that because of the wrong scale the entire inventory of Farish buses Hattons had purchased was defective. They certainly are not suitable for purpose!

Similar feedback given when I cancelled an order (via a different retailer). Hopefully they will feed back to the Bachmann reps...

Archived