Farish N gauge buses - now out

bmthtrains - David

• RMweb Gold

I'm happy with the Leyland National as looking "close enough" but will probably keep the VR and Lodekka as display models - not that they are too suitable for by London Country collection.

If the Atlantean is similarly messed up, i wil not be a happy bunny!

During my nine-to-five I'm employed to buy artists materials from Chinese OEMs, so I can certainly empathise that things do get 'lost in translation'! However, I would have thought from experience here that the OEM would have provided fully dimensioned drawings that would have to be signed off by the commissioning party where such scaling issues should have been picked up. I certainly know of another model railway manufacturer who recieved the CADs back from their contractor at HO scale (rather than 4mm/ft) so it does happen, however they were found before any tools were cut. There have been situations I've been involved in at work which has seen products produced outside of the agreed specification - the usual route is for the contractor to recieve back all the goods and supply replacements at spec ASAP (usually via airfreight) or if the the goods can be corrected here in the UK, the OEM is charged for all materials and labour involved.

I'm not trying to point the finger at Bachmann or their contractor here, just saying there can be a lot of variables that those outside of the issue are unlikely to know.

Pix (Who's got 2 containers of dud artists notebooks to deal with!)

When Ixion/Dapol owned up to producing a British N gauge model (GWR steam loco) to the wrong scale (due to a communication mix up) they withdrew them and re-made it to the correct scale; exchanging customer bought models at no further cost.

Will Bachmann match that I wonder?

G.

I strongly doubt they will. The Manor was an expensive bit of kit and as a loco was at the front and center part of our hobby. I think Ixion as such a small company really had no choice but to take the tack they did in order to salvage their corporate goodwill.

By contrast, these buses are selling for a fiver (and hopefully for less soon!) and are one of the "supporting cast of players" part of our hobby. Bachmann as a larger company has also developed sufficient goodwill (and generally well earned, too) that they can afford to turn its back on this particular fiasco. I think the best we can hope for is for the problem to be corrected on future models.

I simply returned my buses to Hattons for a refund, which was promptly issued. If other people cannot live with the error in scale I'd think returning them to their retailer is probably their best recourse.

Matt

If Bachmann indeed was told 3 years ago when the engineering prototypes went on show at Coventry Arena that the buses were the wrong scale, then I'd say it's time to resurrect the nickname we gave Bachmann here in the States during the 1970s and 1980s when the stuff it sold was just a hair better than complete rubbish: Botch-man.

Matt

If Bachmann indeed was told 3 years ago when the engineering prototypes went on show at Coventry Arena that the buses were the wrong scale, then I'd say it's time to resurrect the nickname we gave Bachmann here in the States during the 1970s and 1980s when the stuff it sold was just a hair better than complete rubbish: Botch-man.

Matt

Hi Matt

I have read this elsewhere, but in the fog of a busy day at Leamington maybe the comments never got through to the people they needed to.

While I find it strange that this has happened, especially if they DID know they were to 1:160 when the vast bulk were likely to be bought by 1:148 modellers (and udoubtedly very frustrating for those who have been waiting so keenly for them) I do not think that this necessarily justifies the label you suggest.

Look at the rest of their new products, like the B1, Class 24 Diesel, new 08, Mk1 coaches, to name just a few. The products are of excellent quality and to a standard us long time N Gauge modellers would never have dreamed of ten years ago.

Yes, a shame this has happened, but give them a break, the business is run by people not machines, and we are all prone to make mistakes occasionally.

Roy

I agree completely with your sentiment, Roy, and I can see that I was misunderstood. I was trying to say that only with regard to these buses had Bachmann botched it.

In general I have been very pleased with their products and - some spotty QC aside - as I posted elsewhere in this thread, the people on Moat Way in Barwell have genuinely earned the corporate goodwill they presently enjoy.

Given how right they seem to have gotten so much else, that such a basic error was made with the buses is, as you have put it, strange.

Matt

• RMweb Premium

I'm still going to buy a Leyland National and I'm still going to use it on my layout - I doubt I could get one of the kits to the same standard so I'm not going to try.

One question I do have though: Can I get the top off to add passengers?

Metrorider next please Bachmann!

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Given the number of legless passengers riding round in N-gauge stock adding passengers to these buses wouldn't be an issue- just use the bulk Continental ones rather than the bulk British ones to avoid having to cut the heads off too...

Strange N-gauge passengers get legless without the aid of alcohol- or does this reflect the owner's desire for an odd tipple?

(almost teetotal) Les

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

On the Bachmann website tonight they are saying a new batch of these have arrived, including the Leylend PD2 in Stockport Corporation livery. Does anybody know if these new arrivals are to 1:148, 1;152 or 1;160 scale?

Cheers

Alastair

On the Bachmann website tonight they are saying a new batch of these have arrived, including the Leylend PD2 in Stockport Corporation livery. Does anybody know if these new arrivals are to 1:148, 1;152 or 1;160 scale?

Cheers

Alastair

Still 1:160 I'm afraid

• 1 year later...

I have now got two of the Guy Arab II Utility buses and can confirm that they are almost exactly 1:160 on length and very close to that on height and width. So no good for 1:148 if placing near other vehicles. But the quality of the mouldings is very good, and the finish is good apart from the crests on the Birmingham buses which seem to have missed some stages of the printing process so are just dark blue/black blobs. There are two main compromises - the nearside front bulkhead window pillar on the outside appears over thick because it is adjacent to the thickness of the side moulding, and the nearside rear bulkhead window and panel are too narrow. They will be fine for me to re-livery and convert for a standalone project where 1:160 will not be a problem. I was astounded at the number of parts which go to make up these models - at least 17 - and can see why they were not re-tooled to get them to 1:148 scale. I still hope that they will continue to release the final basic moulding - the Leyland PD2 - as I have some conversion plans for that too. It will be interesting to compare the Farish models with the forthcoming Oxford Diecast version of the same bus which I am confident will be closer to 1:148 scale.

Have to agree Mike.

The quality of the models is certainly superior to the offerings from both Oxford and BT, but comletely undone by the fundamental issue of being the WRONG scale...

:senile:

There is a photo of the Oxford Diecast Guy Utility in Southdown colours on Facebook along with the Plaxton Panorama in National Express livery. The Utility is decidely chunkier than the Farish model. The Panorama has flush glazing and follows the pattern of having glazing printed on to a clear plastic section. There is also some comment about Oxford Diecast's tooling costs - £4500 for an N car, £9000 for an N bus, £10000 for a 4mm scale large van, and upwards from £8500 for a 4mm scale van.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/282491821467/ yesterday contained a vast number of posts on the new items including a lengthy dialogue with Lyndon Davies the MD (and owner) of Oxford Diecast, who stated the typical tooling costs and confirmed the tooling investment in N as over £250000 so far.

Mike

• RMweb Premium

I know I'm referring to a very old comment now, but my god, the hand wringing from a certain poster on this thread seems ridiculously excessive! Puts me right off reading this forum.

The latest Oxford models look great!

Archived