Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

I just hope that all the hype surrouding your new releases is worth it - because there could be a lot of disappointed people having waited so long to find out what they are only to find that they're actually no good for what they are planning on modelling.

We get what we get - unless someone else is prepared to put up the time/commitment/money to produce what THEY want.

I was never going to get a panelled Mk1 BG barrier coach, so guess what - I went out and designed/sourced the parts myself. That's "modelling".

How does it go?

"You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.........."

Good luck (and thank you) to Dapol and ALL the other manufacturers for their endeavours.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

For one, none of the other manufacturers appear to be considering sensibly priced O gauge ready to run...

So now you're saying that Dapol are doing something right?

Cheers,

Mick

so damned if we do and damned if we dont produce something for everyone eh? :fool: :banghead:

That's not what I meant. Clearly you can't cover everyone's tastes in all 3 scales in one go, but let's just say for the point of discussion a lot of people are hoping you do some modern-ish wagons to go with your blue 08 that has already been revealed, then you reveal that you're doing another 50 different 5 plank private owner liveries to add to the ones you're already doing - something which is of absolutely no use to someone who wants to model the 80's onwards - then that's going to be a disappointment to some of us that were hoping you were going to do something that was more suitable to our era. Or, let's say you decide to produce one of your 4mm items in 7mm and not 2mm, then the 2mm'ers that were waiting and hoping are going to be disappointed.

I know it's a difficult decision as to what, commericially, you can commit yourself to - and that's fine, but from how I understand it those decisions have been made many months back and we're just waiting for a designer to finish making the catalogue. Hence the broad outline of 'what is planned this year' could have easily been made available back when it was due to be.

Nope,

Sorry no broad outline at all, you know as much as is necessary before the catalogue is released.

This is why the catalogue is coming out to show you what we are producing.

better to see some progres at the same time i think, not just words on paper. God knows weve been guilty of that in the past.

As for the hype, I don't really think Dapol can be held responsible for our frenzied frothing.

I think I would respectfully disagree with that, Kar, IMO they should take some of the responsibility and - more to the point - accept the consequences. Dave has often made posts and status updates along the lines of 'ooh, what's next, an XYZ for the BDP', or 'who knows, we might have to see if this one will scale up/down' - this is quite a good example from just a few days ago:

http://www.rmweb.co....100#entry687775

Now there's nothing wrong with that per se, I'm sure there are folk who like to play along with these teasing/guessing games, but I think it's valid to observe that in a forum environment, it does kinda raise folks' expectations.

Dapoldave, please don't at the end of the day it is just a little bit of fun!

I'm not entirely sure why people are getting their knickers in a twist about something that hasn't happened.... The catalogue is delayed, we don't know the content of the catalogue so now we have to wait. We'll get the information eventually and surely it now means that there is much reduced time from the catalogue being published to the first items appearing on the shelves? Silver lining and all that!

Hi M0rris,

Yeah i know, but i dont want to antagonise people, as life is waaaaaay too short for that.

However you are correct as it does leave little time from the catalogue coming out some models.

In fact 1 model should be hot on the heels of the catalogue by a few weeks, and no i'm not saying. So at least we will have something tangible i suppose.

Cheers

Dave

Long announce to release dates are definitely a bad thing - and that's applicable to any manufacturer. So it's good to hear that something - whatever it is - isn't going to be far behind the catalogue. Is it fair to assume that this is not the O gauge "08" previously announced?

It was, having waited for at least 2 years since announcement for Bachmann to produce something in OO, then realising that Farish already made it in N, started me modelling in N gauge of which I've amassed quite a collection over the years and had several (not particularly well known) layouts at small exhibitions some years back.

• RMweb Gold

Poor old (well not too old) Dapol - at this rate they'll have to change their name to Hornby and start imposing embargo dates and create proper seasonal frothing sessions; the rights & wrongs of which can then be debated ad nauseam. Don't get me wrong - a bit of frothing is fun as is a guessing game but none of that is necessarily a guide to what will or won't be announced and its pointless moaning about it or the fact that rumours might say something different and then let you down because you've just built a layout to match them.

When the catalogue arrives we will all know what's in it and we can express boundless joy or interminable misery according to our individual tastes and interests - until then if we want to clap cheerfully we can celebrate what Dave has already promised us and if we want to moan there'll no doubt be something somewhere to cheer up those who are at their happiest when they're miserable.

And to put all this in context just think about this - long ago in a place not far from many of us who can remember it the only indication of what was planned for the following 12 months appeared in the March issue of a well known magazine, sometimes with a bit more added in the April edition. No frothing, no guessing, only a tad of published wishing, and only one short period of announcements - for a whole year. I can't even remember all the locos in one scale, let alone everything else, which has been announced so far this year for the coming 18 months or so, and I have been waiting for nearly 40 years for a couple of them notwithstanding there being a couple of kits available that long ago. The hobby has come along way in that time, I don't think it pays to knock it.

• RMweb Premium

. I would love to see a GWR 4700 in N gauge but I am not holding my breath as no one has even done this in 00 yet.

And dont I wish someone would , it would make a perfect addition to the 2-8-0 fleet .

Dave , pretty please . :mail: :paint: :sungum:

I think part of the issue is that it was stated at the start of the thread the catalogue should be here in february so we have had too long to froth and get frustrated when we don't find out!

I appreciate delays and other things happen outside dapols control but it feels like it is taking an age to get here.

As long as it's worth the wait though I won't complain.

cheers

mark

but it feels like it is taking an age to get here.

It is and I know Dave is as frustrated as anyone that it's not out on the loose already. The impatient or self-centred approach of some though doesn't make it come any quicker.

Guest jim s-w

Hi all

Can I ask what people are doing while they wait for Dapol's catalogue? Is thier world on hold until they know what's coming out or are they just getting on with it?

Let's say for a moment that the Dapol catalogue comes out in a couple of months and what you want isn't in it? Oh well not long to warley then. No announcement there? Not long until christmas let's see if Hornby do it? No? Well traditionally the Bachmann announcement isn far off. No joy there either? Well surely Dapol will do it in 2013 then...

You can spend forever waiting for the next big thing but ultimately it gets you no where. It's a creative hobby so CREATE something! Just because you are the first to post a pic on a forum of the newest piece of shopping doesn't make you a modeller.

Cheers

Jim

Yawn........

............ wake me up when it is finally published someone.

On second thoughts, only wake me up when the models I actually want are available in the shops. ;)

Can I ask what people are doing while they wait for Dapol's catalogue? Is thier world on hold until they know what's coming out or are they just getting on with it?

Since you asked, for my O gauge project then yes it is on hold until I find out what the range are. Yes, I know about the 08 and yes I will most likely be getting a blue TOPS one.

But I need wagons for it to move. Yes, I can get Slaters or Parkside kits at nearly £40 each, plus glue plus paint plus time. If Dapol release something that fits my needs and they're £25 each - and perfectly good standard - then I'm not going to waste my time messing about spending more money to build a kit that is more than likely not going to turn out as good (due to my kitbuilding skills, or lack of).

Until we hear what is happening with the O gauge releases then I can't progress much with my track planning as what might work for one type of wagon might not work for another - think of box vans needing a loading deck, open wagons needing a crane or pit, or tanks needing a gantry of some kind. That will of course affect siding lengths or spacings, which mean buildings may or may not fit, and of course with Peco points at nearly 2ft long you don't have the "play" in a plan that you might have in smaller scales unless you have plenty of space to play with.

It may also be that something announced doesn't quite fit in with what I had hoped but is of a slightly different era, but grabs my imagination and that changes my plans completely.

In other scales it's a lot easier as most things have been done - but if you're looking for RTR O gauge at a reasonable price, then really there's nothing much to compare with on the market, particularly if the private owner wagons like Skytrex don't suit your era.

Am I stupid to wait "just in case" Dapol announce this year something I want? Perhaps. But given that O gauge is new to me it's not something I want to rush into and regret, particularly with the much higher price of everything. I know "its my layout and if I want a 66 pulling private owner wagons then I can" but as many of us build with exhibitions in mind I want to try and get it right from the start.

If that makes me wrong for being a little irritated that it's now mid May and in post one of this very thread by DapolDave himself on 4th January 2012 he states that the catalogue will be here in mid to late February then I'm sorry if anyone doesn't like my opinion. But that's life.

• RMweb Premium

For one, none of the other manufacturers appear to be considering sensibly priced O gauge ready to run...

Are you including the Ixion Hudswell Clarke loco in that statement or not - available soon for £235.

• RMweb Gold

Until we hear what is happening with the O gauge releases then I can't progress much with my track planning as what might work for one type of wagon might not work for another - think of box vans needing a loading deck, open wagons needing a crane or pit, or tanks needing a gantry of some kind. That will of course affect siding lengths or spacings, which mean buildings may or may not fit, and of course with Peco points at nearly 2ft long you don't have the "play" in a plan that you might have in smaller scales unless you have plenty of space to play with.

While I can see your point you aren't exactly as 'infrastructure tied' as you seem to think. You don't need a loading deck to deal with vans, opens don't necessarily need a crane or pit, and tank cars don't need a gantry (although things changed over the years with tank traffic I do accept). So you could do without those things as did many (most) smaller goods yards and still have a variety of wagons fora variety of traffics.

Are you including the Ixion Hudswell Clarke loco in that statement or not - available soon for £235.

I'll admit I had forgotten that one, but as it's steam it isn't something I had considered for this particular project. I'm not really "into" steam generally.

Im waiting in anticipation for Dapols new release in O. I think its great that a major manufacturer has taken the plunge to produce RTR models at a reasonable price.

So well done Dapol for that.

One thing though two green 08s both without wasp stripes, Could we change it to black early crest and green late crest with wasp stripes. I wouldnt mind the pair then.

I cannot quite believe we have people here moaning and taking sideways swipes at Dapol just because they are planning and/or building new layouts based (so it would seem) on the hopes and dreams of what may or may not be released in the new catalogue of one manufacturer!

So I guess using the same logic if Dapol went bump in the night there would be a few layouts going straight in the bin..........

Archived