Dapol 2012 Catalogue

DapolDave

Naaah, leave them out as there are dozens of kits of all sorts of qualities around. The MK3 is untouched bar one awkward to construct on not hugely accurate kit. :P

Not all O gauge modellers are great kitbuilders though - myself included - and often the price of the kit, plus wheels, couplings, paint, glazing, transfers etc doesn't work out that much cheaper than an rtr one would. My biggest problem though is painting - I can build the things usually but grind to a halt when it's time to paint, and I'm reluctant to spend £150 on a kit that I'm either never going to finish, or ruin trying to paint it. If an rtr version was available for not much more then I'd buy it.

I know, learning etc etc but if you just aren't confident, don't have a steady hand etc then that's enough to not start in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason I felt Dapol wouldn't duplicate the Hornby OO range but seeing as the announcement of the class 73 has blown that out of the water would Dapol use some of there n gauge research for new OO products therefore could we see classes 86 ,92 and 156 in the new catalogue? Along with mk 3 coaches? Might have been mentioned earlier in the thread but I can't remember and aint going back 23 pages to find out?

I know, learning etc etc but if you just aren't confident, don't have a steady hand etc then that's enough to not start in the first place.

Sorry, but not in my book. Confidence is something that can be gained and will increase through experience. Plus there are aids and techniques for painting to give a 'steady hand'. IMO you're just making excusses - but I'll accept that you just can't be bothered to do any modelling. :no:

G.

I was once taught how to engrave metal and was given this advice '1) Take a 4" cube of steel and fill one surface with engravings, doesn't matter what the design is. 2) file off the engraved surface and make it good. 3) Repeat 1 & 2 until you are about half way down the cube. By the you will be a reasonably competent engraver."

Applied to painting I would say a second hand loco body and a bucket of paint stripper could be substituted, once the stripper stopped working you'd be confident enough to tackle something you'd want to keep.

the problem with O is that each of your learning experiences costs £40 - £500 8), in N they start at about £4 !

To learn, practice and get proficient in painting, which was the posters major concern, doesn't have to be done on expensive, or even O gauge, models. Using cheapies and throw out stuff will be just as effective. And it looks like Dapol are going to be bringing down O gauge prices with their new inexpensive O gauge models (neatly returning the thread to Dapol)

G.

• RMweb Premium

Excuse me (and feel free to have me carted off to a sound proofed padded cell to be smacked around the head with a wet kipper by balaclavered Mods if I have missed the obvious answer!!) but when is the 2012 Dapol catalogue likely to make an appearance?

but when is the 2012 Dapol catalogue likely to make an appearance?

I think you can be forgiven for not trawling through the preceeding 23 pages looking for the last mention of a date. ;) Dapol Dave's last mention implied he was aiming to get it out some time during April but nothing more specific than that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

The new 2012 catalogue is still being fine tuned and hopefully it will be with us in mid to late February.

Now there is only 1 day left of April, any update when we might see the catalogue Dave?

just had a thought over the last few days. With N gauge Mk3's is there any chance of a sleeper? I cant imagine Farish being in a rush to renew the tooling considering the work Dapol has done for the rest of the fleet

I hope not! I'm just about to produce some etched overlays to make the Caledonian Sleeper for my layout :O

Sods law says I'll finish the train and think it looks rather good then Dapol will launch the MK3 sleepers as a secret release.

Cheers

Martin

• RMweb Gold

I hope not! I'm just about to produce some etched overlays to make the Caledonian Sleeper for my layout :O

Sods law says I'll finish the train and think it looks rather good then Dapol will launch the MK3 sleepers as a secret release.

Hi Martin

Hurst already do etches for the sleepers if that is any help. Not sure how easy they would be to fit to Dapol Mk3s.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin

Hurst already do etches for the sleepers if that is any help. Not sure how easy they would be to fit to Dapol Mk3s.

You'd need to shrink the Hurst ones as they are 00 and the mk3's are n gauge.

• RMweb Premium

And very nice they are too!

They are designed for the Farish Mk3 though so might take some fettling to fit correctly on the Dapol model. They also don't include the doors.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Errr no you don't - Hurst do N gauge etches as well!

Fair enough. When I looked at the Hurst website this morning it only came up with the 4mm stuff for me. Now I look again I find that the 2mm is there but if you first enter through the 4mm pages it is very hard to find.

Hi Stuey,

According to Joel, who is doing the catalogue, late May might be the best bet.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the update, Dave. I have been waiting to place an order from either a shop in Liverpool or Sheffield until the catalogues were available (overseas p+p is cheaper on a few big orders than on many small ones) but It's daft to put it off for another month so this information is useful to me.

Oh - briefly OT - would Dapol please stop issuing Class 26s in new liveries for a little while? It's become one of my absolute favourite locos and my pocketbook and wife are not happy... :)

Matt

Oh - briefly OT - would Dapol please stop issuing Class 26s in new liveries for a little while? It's become one of my absolute favourite locos and my pocketbook and wife are not happy... :)

DapolDave - Please ignore Matt and crack on :locomotive:

No offence Matt but I'm loving the 26s

Archived