Hi All,

+

The ModelMaster set does not appear to provide for a

running pair of the POLLEN C.- enough for only one

wagon is present

I have a rub-on sheet, with GWR Gray backing as carrier

for small print items; for the POLLEN C and with numbers

for the 3 sets produced. (per Tourett)

I have artwork for the "E" but have not had it printed.

Noel

Thanks for the update on the POLLENS Noel - it was the trickiest bit of the whole build of the BR sets that I did to cobble together the transfers for both sets so that is really useful. I presume these are in GWR livery? How do we get hold of them as well?

Reading that last post has brought on my hayfever!

There's always one who MEX a GWR telegraphic code joke isn't there? I guess this time it MITE B you...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Flying Circus!

Hi All,

Snakes alive! It's PYTHON time. Actually, it's the second PYTHON I have built. The first one I did, I was never that happy with. What made me less happy with it was dropping it on the floor so I either spent a lot of time fixing up something I wasn't that pleased with or I cut my losses and start again... What a Gumby I am!

The PYTHON is a covered carriage truck (CCT) or, in GWR parlance, a brown vehicle (although this term covers more than just CCTs on the Western). The PYTHON code name refers to a set of usually 4 wheel, 18' wheelbase vehicles that were built originally in the early decades of the twentieth century. They were built to the limit of the loading gauge and had both small side and large end doors making them very versatile. There was a legendary member of these vehicles that was the last of lot 1238 of 1914. No. 580 had a specially strengthened floor and this was done for the conveyance of circus elephants of all things! Another, No. 560, was converted for use during the Second World War as part of a 'Fire Train'. Coach No. 7995 was used for crew and their gear and the PYTHON had a set of specially enlarged doors which could open up to reveal a small derrick that could swing out a Coventry Climax fire pump.

post-14393-0-71613100-1498067597_thumb.jpg

The last surviving PYTHON is No. 565 at Didcot. It was built in 1914, just at the start of the Great War. It is part of Lot 1238 and is constructed to Diagram P19. It was preserved as part of the GWS collection but, due to its use by the Heavy Freight Mob as crew accommodation and its subsequent immortalisation as the inspiration for the name of the DRC pub, The Black Python. It WAS painted black for a long time but is now slowly returning to a more suitable livery.

The model is a lump of best quality and fully Whizzo Parkside Dundas! It's a great little kit and doesn't need a huge heap of work to really make it pop. The bits missing from the kit are the hand rails from the sides, the lamp irons and the end steps. These will all be etched items. I have also added my customary LMS buffers. Nothing to confuse-a-cat here!

post-14393-0-01922300-1498067728_thumb.jpg

It's a straight forward build, so no funny stuff - nudge, nudge, wink, wink!

post-14393-0-31913400-1498067896_thumb.jpg

A couple of brake etchings from the scrap box found a home.

post-14393-0-29673700-1498068072_thumb.jpg

I also found a few other etchings for the beastie...

post-14393-0-20849900-1498068140_thumb.jpg

...and a couple of bits of styrene to do the buffer rests on the lower door. That is little No. 565 materially complete.

post-14393-0-30654500-1498068213_thumb.jpg

Not wishing to be Ron Obvious but I painted it in the same colours as I did before - BR maroon.

post-14393-0-98307800-1498068329_thumb.jpg

Transfers.

post-14393-0-96205900-1498068391_thumb.jpg

Then weathering and final assembly of the roof and windows to complete! Steps and vacuum hoses were added at this stage as I had run out and I was awaiting a Dart Castings order.

post-14393-0-99328400-1498068443_thumb.jpg

Well that's it (again!) for this one. Mind you, I have always enjoyed PYTHON re-runs! So, I had better go and do something completely different. Come along Patsy!

All the best,

Castle

PS: What happened to the other one? It's not pining, it's passed on! This PYTHON is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker!* This is a late PYTHON! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed it to the siding, it would be pushing up the daisies! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex - PYTHON!

*You will be pleased to know I haven't actually sent the wreckage back to those fine kit makers in Kirkcaldy...

Edited by Castle
  • Like 19

Welcome to the Flying Circus!

Hi All,

Snakes alive! It's PYTHON time. Actually, it's the second PYTHON I have built. The first one I did, I was never that happy with. What made me less happy with it was dropping it on the floor so I either spent a lot of time fixing up something I wasn't that pleased with or I cut my losses and start again...

It's only a flesh wound...

Well done RJS!

I was trying to get the Black Knight scene in there somewhere and couldn't get it to fit! I did get the parrot sketch in though...

All the best,

Castle

• 4 weeks later...

Little Didcot - Poetry in Motion?

Hi All,

Here is a quick post to display a recently finished wagon and load from the Little Didcot stable. The subject is from the G Diagram...

Diagram G covers a series of flat and well wagons for the conveyance of road vehicles and road vehicle components. Within this diagram are the covered ASMOs, DAMOs, MOGOs and BOCARS. Also included are the HYDRAs, SERPENTs and the subject of this model - the LORIOTs. These latter vehicles were mainly designed to easily load and unload road vehicles and as such tended (although not always) to follow a well wagon format with end ramps and buffers arranged to facilitate loading.

post-14393-0-58690700-1500220418_thumb.jpeg

No. 42271 was built in 1934 as part of lot No. 1142 to diagram G13. There was a previous use of the Diagram G13 but this was a series of 4 ton capacity passenger train well wagons built between 1887 and 1890 and received the telegraphic code name HYDRA. 4 were built. The second use of the G13 diagram referred to the 15 ton LORIOT L unfitted wagons of which No. 42271 is an example. They were built between 1926 and 1934 and a total of 7 were built, this one being the second to last to be completed. Another of these vehicles is also in preservation with the 813 Fund and is in fact the last one to be built, No. 42272 and currently lives on the Severn Valley Railway. Didcot's example is in use as a boiler trolley and although it is lacking its wooden deck, it basically sound in structure. A restoration is sure to follow some day...

Little No. 42271 arrived at Chez Castle fully formed! Having searched unsuccessfully for a copy of the old D&S kit of the vehicle, I put in a topic on the Wanted area of RMWEB and 81C Bob answered the call and a deal on a pre constructed version was agreed - cheers Bob! When it got to my home shed, it was in GWR livery and was missing it's brake handles (which Bob had told me about) but was otherwise in good condition. BR(W) unfitted grey - here we come!

post-14393-0-52195300-1500220295_thumb.jpeg

I stripped the paint off the brass and had a little go with some filler and a few other tweaks. The eyes for mounting the chain loops were on the ends but one of the ones on the lower side beams was missing. These were replaced with Alan Gibson Workshop handrail knobs and links from a scale chain. A pair of etched brake leavers finished it all off. The paint scheme is based on a best guess scenario from the images on the erstwhile Mr Bartlett's photo site. Cheers Paul!

post-14393-0-17508100-1500220192_thumb.jpeg

One early description of the LORIOT type described their use as 'agricultural implement wagons". As a nod to this, the load on little No. 42271 is distinctly agricultural! It also has further meaning in that two of my fellow Didcot modellers are represented here. The tractor is the classic 'Grey Fergie' and one of my friends owns one of them so he was able to advise! The other friend has family history whereby a great grandparent up sticks and transported their farm, lock, stock and barrel, to Oxfordshire. Hence all the other equipment on the wagon! The 'Grey Fergie, plough and Tasker trailer are all products of Langley models and very nice they are too! Almost shake the box type modelling (usual disclaimer).

post-14393-0-93911300-1500219858_thumb.jpeg

We even have a picture of a farm being moved on ex GWR metals at some time in the 1950s although they are using CONFLATs and OPENs to move the equipment. Arguably the LORIOT, with its 15ton capacity, is little bit 'overkill' for this load but perhaps it's a cost effective way of using a return trip?

post-14393-0-37547700-1500219789_thumb.jpeg

The usual Ambis components were used to make up the chains but there were one or two to do. Each of the 8 load securing chains took 8 etched adjusters, 16 etched hooks and 24 connector links. I think Blackadder said it best when he said "Wibble"...

post-14393-0-75918500-1500219668_thumb.jpeg

In other news, an interview with yours truly and a few members of his team about a certain Mk. 1 Castle project is now available in August's issue No. 469 of Steam Railway so if you would like to read a little on where we are with Pendennis Castle and a little on our philosophy, methods and future plans then grab a copy! SR journalist Toby Jennings spent a day with us, met the team and saw what we were getting up to so its a nice little read.

post-14393-0-76234100-1500219624_thumb.jpeg

Plug over...

Well (wagon), that's a load off my mind!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 16

The effort on the chain-age has been rewarded in the added WOW factor.

Cheers Tinker!

It's worth doing but I did have to psych myself up to do it - the chains took a long time to do with frequent breaks otherwise it drives you completely nuts!

All the best,

Castle

Cheers Tinker!

It's worth doing but I did have to psych myself up to do it - the chains took a long time to do with frequent breaks otherwise it drives you completely nuts!

All the best,

Castle

Breaks in the chains, or from the chains? We have to know.

Either way, the results are impressive.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Cheers Tinker!

All the best,

Castle

Did you listen to Fleetwood Mac (or watch the Grand Prix) while you were doing it?

Dummmm..... diddle-um diddle-diddle-um-pom!

Hi All,

Breaks in the chains, or from the chains? We have to know.

Either way, the results are impressive.

Cheers,

BR(W).

Both! In order to make the chains, you have to break and then rejoin them and this in and of itself is a bit intense so it requires breaks. I think...

Thanks for the compliment!

Did you listen to Fleetwood Mac (or watch the Grand Prix) while you were doing it?

Dummmm..... diddle-um diddle-diddle-um-pom!

You might say I was working in a chain gang?*

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

*With apologies to Sam Cooke.

Edited by Castle
  • Like 1

An Odd Corner of the Great Western...

Hi All,

I have been aware of this odd part of history for years but I wonder how many others are. There is a sad but interesting tale to be told in a hidden corner of Reading Station. It is tucked away on platform 7, attached to the early station building that has survived the recent redevelopments there. I thought my Little Didcot readers would appreciate seeing it.

post-14393-0-12729300-1500836856_thumb.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for sharing that, Castle. Is anything known about what happened? I suppose not since it's so long ago. I don't connect Reading whirlwinds with anything particularly life threatening, but they were different times and maybe something collapsed.

Hi All,

Here we go Mikkel. An enquiry to the Great Western Trust revealed a link to this website:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/reading-station-175-years-marked-8928946.amp

This explains what happened to poor Henry. This text is from www.getrading.co.uk

"Trains have been running through Reading for 175 years and the first year was marked with a bizarre fatal accident.

On Tuesday, March 24, 1840, the death of Henry West caused a sensation in Reading .

A journeyman carpenter, aged 24, hailing from Wilton in Wiltshire, Mr West was at work putting the finishing touches to a raised lantern adjoining the newly-built railway station house when, at about 3.30pm, the whole neighbourhood was alarmed to hear the noise of crashing timber.

It was soon discovered that a violent whirlwind had torn the roof off the lantern, taking poor Henry West with it and leaving his broken body in a ditch, some 200 feet away.

Mr West was taken to the Boar’s Head pub in Friar Street where an inquest was held that night.

His funeral at St Laurence’s Church the following Sunday was attended by more than 40 of his fellow workmen, who clubbed together to pay for a memorial board to be erected over his grave.

Since restored on three occasions, first by his brother, then by his niece and subsequently by the town council, the memorial stands to this day, a poignant reminder of a life cut short by a horrendous industrial accident."

So there is the full, sad story of Henry West. I raised it as I think it is something of a local matter and one that really highlights how dangerous the Industrial Age truly was - despite the somewhat freakish nature of the underlying cause.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Giants Refreshed - Swindon Style?

Guess what the team and I have been doing this week? All in preparation for the Flying Scotsman weekend here at DRC

post-14393-0-79333300-1502544708_thumb.jpeg

No. 4079 will be on show in Didcot Locomotive Works alongside the other under overhaul locomotive's for the entire bank holiday weekend with my team and myself on hand to answer questions and show people around. If you can make it, it will be great to see you there!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 6

Hi All,

Giants Refreshed - Swindon Style?

Guess what the team and I have been doing this week? All in preparation for the Flying Scotsman weekend here at DRC

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

No. 4079 will be on show in Didcot Locomotive Works alongside the other under overhaul locomotive's for the entire bank holiday weekend with my team and myself on hand to answer questions and show people around. If you can make it, it will be great to see you there!

All the best,

Castle

Very impressive Castle... Looking more like I knew & loved it at the beginning of the Century... Well done ( more pics. would not go amiss) Peter

Hi Peter,

I will take a few more when she is a bit more finished. This is only undercoat as the engine will need to be stripped down again to remove and certify the boiler. She is moving closer though...

post-14393-0-93016500-1502551213_thumb.jpeg

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 8

Giants Refreshed - Swindon Style? Part II

Hi All,

Well, there we are another work week at Didcot Railway Centre nearly over and bar one tour that I have to do tomorrow for a few fellow modellers, it's all done. So, what is work week? It's a week (no - really?!) that we volunteers at DRC put aside for those tricky or long and involved jobs that really are best done with few breaks in between. I guess painting a Castle class locomotive could well be one of those tasks! It means that the stuff you have carefully cleaned of doesn't get mucky again and make you have to clean it again, you can get all the kit out and leave it out as you are coming right back to it in the morning and you really get to see the progress happen day by day. Also, the Heavy Freight Mob's 'Black Python' bar coach is open of an evening and it gives you a chance to catch up and have a chat with all those friends you haven't seen in a while - most convivial!

We started not far from this point here. This was taken a month or so ago when No. 4079 was taken out the from the works for her roof to be lifted back on by a crane. About two weeks ago, the cosmetic restoration of No. 5051's tender was completed so No. 4079's was returned to her as well. As you can see, lots has been done to the locomotive but she was looking a little sad and a bit like a patchwork quilt so it was time for us to do something about it. The stage was set for a makeover...

post-14393-0-60485500-1502575853_thumb.jpeg

First things first. This really is just a skin deep make over. The paint we are using is all undercoat so it has little gloss to it and is not quite the right shade of green - I know you would all point that out! We also have to remove the boiler again for the last few jobs and certification so any paint we put on now has a high likelihood of being scratched as the loco is disassembled. However, layers of paint, even if the odd bit of fine surface filler has to be applied to fill the scratches, is a good thing as it builds up a surface that can be cut back to give a very smooth surface. We also have Flying Scotsman turning up at DRC so we can't let the side down either so on with the paint! Here we have applied the first layer of green to the barrel and firebox and our sign writer is prepping the buffer beam. He works when he can do we may not get it numbered and lettered for the event but it's best to let him do this bit as he has to line it out!

post-14393-0-18568500-1502576294_thumb.jpeg

As the green hadn't completely covered the boiler, we rubbed it back a bit to prepare for a second coat. We also had to clean all of the surfaces we were going to paint black over the next couple of days, removing all dust, grease and oil. On a real locomotive this is NOT an inconsequential task...

post-14393-0-98120600-1502576389_thumb.jpeg

Then you start working down the locomotive. Green bits first as you don't stand on them once you have done the top of the firebox. Think about GWR livery and this will make sense... Then, you work through the various black bits, not including the running plate as you have to stand on it!

post-14393-0-25237500-1502576781_thumb.jpeg

Then you start painting all the bits you MIGHT stand of if you weren't thinking.

post-14393-0-51265400-1502576885_thumb.jpeg

You may want to add the nameplates of your project requires them. These are not etched brass. They are also not genuine. The real things are far too valuable to leave out on the locomotive. Sadly an estimated five figure price for the originals that have letters that date back to the original Duke class loco is too tempting a target so these will suffice on a day to day basis. On special occasions however, when there is constant monitoring of them, perhaps... There is obviously a moment of joy when fitting the plates to your project! There is also a bit of relief in getting these quite heavy items in place without scratching the brand new paint while the project manager is watching AND taking pictures!

post-14393-0-66527200-1502576999_thumb.jpeg

Then paint the bits you definitely do stand on!

post-14393-0-97954600-1502577210_thumb.jpeg

Last few touches...

post-14393-0-07493900-1502577311_thumb.jpeg

One handy reminder later.

post-14393-0-39920200-1502577406_thumb.jpeg

It was then we saw the headboard on the wall next to the engine - I bet you would do what we did given half the chance. Here is the Cambrian Coast Express!

post-14393-0-28161900-1502577639_thumb.jpeg

Looking round, we saw the Cathedrals Express head board and figured that was a good idea too!

post-14393-0-22938500-1502577784_thumb.jpeg

post-14393-0-12075800-1502577912_thumb.jpeg

A bit more like the Cuneo original in reverse here with Nos. 7202 and 4079. The current boiler fitted to the 72XX is the Swindon special experimental invisible type...

post-14393-0-89005800-1502577996_thumb.jpeg

And finally (as they say on the news), an amazing photo by our society photographer, Frank Dumbleton who always pops in at the end of a work day to take a few snaps of the progress made.

post-14393-0-92321000-1502578097_thumb.jpeg

Well, as I said, just a tour to do tomorrow and I'm putting my feet up for a couple of days. Perhaps a little less 12":1' modelling and a little more 4mm:1' instead? Please come and join us at Didcot over the bank holiday weekend and enjoy not only our great rival's visit but also the charming No. 813 on the branch and tours of the loco works and many of the other facilities that are on the site. Tickets can be booked via ticket master here:

http://www.ticketmas...uk/venue/436300

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Looks like you need to crack out the milliput again on that smokebox door. Looks like your knife took off a bit of the door with it when you were removing the moulded on BR smokebox plate....

Actually that said, if lends a prototypical air to my last BR to GWR conversion which suffered the same problem (and still needs that extra coat of filler!)

Hi Rich,

Too true - the smokebox door damage is actually due to Australian head lamp brackets - but it is life imitating art perhaps! We didn't tackle it as will need to strip all the paint off the smokebox as large quantities of the old stuff underneath are attempting to escape... We can remove the smokebox as it is only bolted on at the moment. We had to do a dry extension repair to the boiler and it is more comfortable to work on the front tube plate with it off. Once the out of frames tests are done we will fix it on permanently.

All the best,

Castle

Edited by Castle
  • Like 2