• RMweb Gold

Correct - there are several versions with multiple levels of detail. Even the best Hornby offering has the incorrect brake rigging and a mediocre rear spectacle plate. It's also fun to do so well worth a try in my opinion! The running qualities of the model are excellent aren't they? I'm sorry you are struggling elsewhere with loco performance - I hope you get it sorted as it looks the business!

I also put my 2807 on the rolling road as it was another I realised I hadn't had out yet. Not sure how much mechanism it might share with the 4200 , but it's another smooth runner, so much so that when I set it to a crawl test, I forgot about it as it was so quiet and suddenly realised it was still going an hour later without stalling! :D I'll be contacting the relevant authorities for the other loco and hope the replacement is ok as it does look nice despite my misgivings on certain details. :) 

• Like 1

I did the tour last year, it was my nephew that got covered in filth ☺️☺️ I think one of the family days this year.

Ahhh - so he enjoyed himself then! Of course, I remember now! We are about on every other Saturday from next, working on No. 4079. Please come on one of those days if it fits and say hello! That goes for any RMWEB member visiting us too - it's always nice to put names to faces!

All the best,

Castle

I also put my 2807 on the rolling road as it was another I realised I hadn't had out yet. Not sure how much mechanism it might share with the 4200 , but it's another smooth runner, so much so that when I set it to a crawl test, I forgot about it as it was so quiet and suddenly realised it was still going an hour later without stalling! :D I'll be contacting the relevant authorities for the other loco and hope the replacement is ok as it does look nice despite my misgivings on certain details. :)

I agree on the 28XXs and 2884s - my little No. 3822 is a good one too! Having had them both apart, not a lot of similarities I seem to remember...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Cow!

Hi All,

The closest thing to a complete and fully original GWR designed cattle conveyance is squirrelled away at the back of the carriage shed at Didcot Railway Centre. This is the Diagram W17 BEETLE Special Cattle Van (SCV) No. 725 built in 1952 as part of lot 1774. The only thing that makes this one a little less Swindon is that it wasn't built at Swindon. It was built to a Western Region design by the works at Ashford. Apologies for the less than stellar prototype photo but the light at the back of the carriage shed is quite poor...

post-14393-0-58468700-1493394614_thumb.jpeg

The first prize cattle wagon dates back to 1888 and was in fact one of the first goods vehicles to be given passenger vehicle equipment but remained in goods train formations. This vehicle had Mansell wheels and safety chains and other such period items. A compartment for a groom or attendant was not provided and in truth it was just as open as the typical unfitted cattle wagons. As time went on, the special cattle wagons became more enclosed, looking a bit like a cross between a cattle wagon and a SIPHON. The W6 & W7 types from 1907 began to resemble the Didcot example in that the space for the individual animals was increased and the centralised attendants compartment had been added. Inside, there was a water tank in the roof which supplied water troughs and fodder racks to supply the cargo with sustenance. With a series of modifications up to the W14, the GWR vehicles were constructed up to 1937. The biggest difference between the older GWR types and the Didcot W17 is obviously the centre wheel set. This is not braked but of course improves the distribution of weight over the vehicle.

The model required that I buy two of the Parkside Dundas kits for the 1927 Diagram W7 version of the BEETLE. These are very close to the W17 apart from the chassis of course. I started here as if this bit didn't work, I would have to think again!

post-14393-0-56886500-1493394682_thumb.jpeg

Chop, chop, chop (as Alice Cooper once sang!)...

post-14393-0-11222300-1493394750_thumb.jpeg

I added the two modified sole bars to the floor moulding and tried it through a bit of pointwork and it seemed to go very well!

post-14393-0-12937700-1493394822_thumb.jpeg

The secret here is the old 'oversize tube axle' dodge. The wheels were pulled off their axle. The plastic centres were then carefully reamed out to fit the plastic tube which had been cutting width. The wheels were stuck in place with thin superglue. The axle was put in the tube and then the axle was clipped into the axle boxes. The floor was cut away above the wheels to allow the wheels to go all the way up on their new axle.

post-14393-0-57831200-1493394887_thumb.jpeg

A tray was made in styrene to hold the liquid gravity and this was glued in with the same thin superglue.

post-14393-0-49065500-1493394952_thumb.jpeg

The body was made up...

post-14393-0-25606000-1493395063_thumb.jpeg

...and added to the chassis. LMS castings for the GWR self contained buffers were added.

post-14393-0-89677600-1493395115_thumb.jpeg

The kit's brake mouldings were added and a few etchings from the scrap box were adapted to form the rest of the detail of the brakes and brake levers. The roof is just resting in place as we are doing BR(W) maroon livery and the roof needs to be a different colour.

post-14393-0-27115100-1493395306_thumb.jpeg

Steps, couplings and a few other last details go on.

post-14393-0-08357700-1493395365_thumb.jpeg

A splash of paint next!

post-14393-0-65606200-1493395436_thumb.jpeg

Then a few transfers from the CCT range went on too.

post-14393-0-50907900-1493395491_thumb.jpeg

After weathering and final assembly, we can call this one finished!

post-14393-0-47349400-1493395537_thumb.jpeg

That was a fun little build that doesn't require a huge amount of work to bash the already interesting kit subject, into an even more unusual prototype. I could have spent less by simply ordering the kit parts I needed and the extra wheels and bearings directly from Parkside but there is a nice pile of bits in the scrap box now so this is a good thing!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi All,

A lovely project and very nice finishing. Those steps are tricky at times and even more so to keep on after completion.

Thanks No. 46! I am really enjoying your build of Hercules so I'm glad you have enjoyed some of my work too!

Oh dear.  I have a 4 wheel Beetle part completed and have realised that it is not too late to add the middle axle ...

Chris

Go on Chris - you know you want to...

Join the exclusive club - there can't be that many people out there with one in 4mm scale!*

All the best,

Castle

*and here comes 300 pictures from people that have models of the 6 wheel Beetles!

Ahhh - so he enjoyed himself then! Of course, I remember now! We are about on every other Saturday from next, working on No. 4079. Please come on one of those days if it fits and say hello! That goes for any RMWEB member visiting us too - it's always nice to put names to faces!

All the best,

Castle

Does this happen to mean you'll be there on the 27th of this month? Dad and I are flying over on that day and making a trip up to the Cotswolds and had talked about making a visit to Didcot on the journey up there.

Stuart

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Thanks No. 46! I am really enjoying your build of Hercules so I'm glad you have enjoyed some of my work too!

Go on Chris - you know you want to...

Join the exclusive club - there can't be that many people out there with one in 4mm scale!*

All the best,

Castle

*and here comes 300 pictures from people that have models of the 6 wheel Beetles!

Think I have a beetle lying around somewhere waiting to be built, think it will certainly now end up as a 6 wheel example...

• Like 1

Hi All,

Does this happen to mean you'll be there on the 27th of this month? Dad and I are flying over on that day and making a trip up to the Cotswolds and had talked about making a visit to Didcot on the journey up there.

Stuart

Hi Stewart,

Sadly not - 20th is the next one and then 3rd June. I will be doing RAILEX on the 27th... If this ties in at all please stop and say hi!

Think I have a beetle lying around somewhere waiting to be built, think it will certainly now end up as a 6 wheel example...

That's another member of the 6 wheel club - well done Rich!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Northroader,

No, the wheelsets supplied are quite heavy so I didn't add any more weight. It floats around on its own and seems to not have a problem on my test points. I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Going against the GRAIN?

Hi All,

The next exciting (?) instalment do the wagons of Didcot is with the V20 convertible grain wagon. The construction of bulk grain vans started in 1905 with the V10 version. This was a variation on the V5 van with a sliding door on the roof and a hopper in the floor. This van was truly convertible in that it had a fold down floor so that it could also carry other types of merchandise.

The later versions of this idea was the V20 which were much longer that the V10 at 21' 6" over the head stocks. These also had the convertible fold down flaps to seal off the hopper for optional normal van usage and the roof hatch. In the early 1930s the V20s were converted to bulk cement carriers as the bulk grain imports they were built for had reduced dramatically. This involved the lining of the interior with galvanised steel which cut across the doors and interfered with their operation so the were screwed shut. The glass windows in the ends were also plated over and the only external modification was a roof of a slightly shallower pitch.

In 1939, the first of the V20s (No. 42243) was converted back to grain traffic and the other 11 vehicles followed suit by the end of 1940 - presumably for the war effort. This final rebuild did away with the original convertible nature of the wagon and also finally did away with the side doors once and for all.

post-14393-0-34193800-1494153174_thumb.jpg

The example at Didcot is another that is owned by our friends in the 813 Fund. It is currently hiding round the back of the carriage and wagon works and has a tarpaulin over the top to prevent water ingress via the roof hatch. It is overall in quite good condition however and should make a fine display piece one day.

On to the model, which is the time honoured kit bash of the LNER Parkside vehicle. The panel layout is a bit different and the braces change but the overall dimensions and look of the thing is spot on. I toyed with the idea of modifying the sides but on reflection, I figured that it was just as easy - if not easier - to make new sides. LMS buffers complete the look.

post-14393-0-76787500-1494153254_thumb.jpg

I scraped off the L angle from the end panels and then added my own blank sides from pre scored styrene and new L angles from appropriate sections.

post-14393-0-73148600-1494153447_thumb.jpg

This is where the award for 'King Stupid for the Month' comes into play. I spent a couple of hours producing the sides you see below. Which is great if you are doing them in their first incarnation. However, I'm not. I don't know quite how I did this having already read the chapter on the wagon in the big book and realised that in their rebuilt form, there are NO SIDE DOORS... This early version is clearly more work and having go as far as I did, I was quite annoyed. Needless to say, one or two choice word were uttered and we started again. Thankfully, the wagon came apart again fairly easily...

post-14393-0-32745500-1494153381_thumb.jpeg

That's better - and a great deal easier! I also put the hopper and the under frame detail together mostly as per the kit and added the panels that hold the control for the hopper door too.

post-14393-0-30291900-1494153585_thumb.jpeg

Brass was then thrown on in the form of an etched step in opposing corners and handle on the sides and on the roof. I also threw on a bodge to the axle boxes to make them more to the GWR flavour.

post-14393-0-99630200-1494153722_thumb.jpeg

I also remade the roof as there was a lot of detail that needed changing and it was just simpler to start again.

post-14393-0-48441900-1494153856_thumb.jpeg

Once the roof was done, the end hand rails were made with 0.3mm wire from MSE which is intended for signal use but it was lovely to work with. I shall be using this for handrails again!

post-14393-0-60898800-1494153947_thumb.jpg

A few bits to suggest the hopper operating mechanism was added to finish off.

post-14393-0-53528000-1494154236_thumb.jpeg

Paint, transfers and weathering later and Little No. 42239 lives!

post-14393-0-80954900-1494154273_thumb.jpg

Well, that took longer than it should due to incompetence on my part. It is a well trodden path so I claim no originality here but this is, I think, at least my own version of the project. If you get it right, it's not too taxing and well within most people's skills to do. I think the new sides made it far easier as refinishing the planked sides would have taken far longer.

I only need the one but I can see that a short production line would be more than possible and could be finished in a fairly short time.

All the best,

Castle

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Very nice build, Castle. I liked the early side with the door too - when you've run out of current stock to model you can do earlier versions of them all :) I'm only partly joking, we don't often use models to illustrate the historical evolution of a particular prototype. 

Another thanks from me for the MSE wire tip - reminded me that I have some of it somewhere but never used it! I bet I stored it somewhere really safe :rolleyes:  

Slightly OT, but an enquiry about the various "Castles" currently resident at Didcot. As far as their sets of driving wheels are concerned, are they "early" (non-webbed), "late" (webbed), and do any of the engines run on a mixture of both?

Hi All,

Thanks to both Siberian Snooper and Lofty for the kind words!

Very nice build, Castle. I liked the early side with the door too - when you've run out of current stock to model you can do earlier versions of them all :) I'm only partly joking, we don't often use models to illustrate the historical evolution of a particular prototype. 

Another thanks from me for the MSE wire tip - reminded me that I have some of it somewhere but never used it! I bet I stored it somewhere really safe :rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words Mikkel! I know what you are saying about showing a vehicle through its life. A friend at Didcot who is one of the team involved with No. 3650 has a series of Bachmann 8750 models that shows the pannier throughout all the various phases of its life. I think the total number is about 6 or 8 different versions from shirt button right through to Stephenson Clarke blue!

Slightly OT, but an enquiry about the various "Castles" currently resident at Didcot. As far as their sets of driving wheels are concerned, are they "early" (non-webbed), "late" (webbed), and do any of the engines run on a mixture of both?

Hi Horse. I haven't done a full survey on the wheels - No. 4079 has the later, webbed type and I think No. 5051 has at least one set of the earlier type but I will need to take a look and a few snaps at the weekend when I turn spanners yet again on Pendennis Castle!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

Hi Horsetan,

The theory is correct, No. 5051 has earlier non - webbed, small balance weight wheels and No. 4079, as I said, has the later, webbed type.

I hope this helps!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Horsetan,

The theory is correct, No. 5051 has earlier non - webbed, small balance weight wheels and No. 4079, as I said, has the later, webbed type.

I hope this helps!

Thanks. I can add the following to the database as well:

4003: NW, NW, W

5043: NW, W, NW

NW = non-webbed

W = webbed

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

A Mink A (x2)

The Mink series of vehicles is a telegraphic code that covers a huge range of different vehicles in the V diagram. Even within just the short wheelbase 4 wheel Minks, there is huge variation. Different heights and brake set ups were experimented with early on so this whole area is a potential minefield for modellers and historians alike! The design gave rise to several vehicles in other diagrams and conversions to workshop (CC diagram) vehicles were done too.

The pair at 81E were built within the years of 1924 & 1925 to Dia. V14. The V14s were built over a long period between 1912 to 1927. Those built before 1923 were, as built, rated for a 10 ton load and those after went up to 12 tons. A total of 3,841 vehicles inhabited this diagram in the end so they must have had something going for them! No. 101836 has lead a fairly anonymous life but No. 101720 has carried the distinctive livery of a vehicle caught up in the trade of flour delivery. This van is currently undergoing a very thorough restoration by 81E's wagon team and should be done towards the end of this or the beginning of next year.

attachicon.gifIMG_1613.jpg

The new Parkside Dundas kit can be employed here and what a great little kit it is too! There is a massive range of different options that are open to the builder in terms of brakes ends, etc that gives a the opportunity to build in Diagrams V12 (I have an extra one of these kits to bash into 81Es Pooley van), V14 and V16.

attachicon.gifIMG_1445.jpg

The additional ends with the closeable vents look like very useful castings. Safely into the box of 'extra, unused but I will definitely use at some point in the future modelling bits' with these I think!

attachicon.gifIMG_1463.jpg

I built up the body first...

attachicon.gifIMG_1461.jpg

...and then fettled and trial fitted the roof.

attachicon.gifIMG_1462.jpg

With judicious use of a grind stone on my Dremmel, I nibbled out the original under floor location tab made by Parkside and created my own with some Evergreen strip styrene section.

attachicon.gifIMG_1467.jpg

Then it was under frame time and the usual careful reaming with a 2mm drill so the bearings sit snugly into their seats is the opening salvo.

attachicon.gifIMG_1468.jpg

The under frame is then assembled on the glass sheet and tested for the all important free running and straightness.

attachicon.gifIMG_1470.jpg

Then, after a trial fit with the body and roof, we have a delve into the sprues to get all the detail parts out for the brake gear, etc.

attachicon.gifIMG_1471.jpg

Then the styrene rod is cut to size and fitted in place and the tie bars are removed and replaced in brass wire. I know they should be flat section but I want something fairly durable here.

attachicon.gifIMG_1474.jpg

We then go for one, final trial assembly where I failed to notice the obvious mistake with the position of the brake handle or the fact that I haven't put the lamp irons on - d'oh! I also applied some liquid gravity, scale couplings and a nice set of white metal buffers at this stage.

attachicon.gifIMG_1478.jpg

Then I did it all over again, this time still forgetting the lamp irons but at least getting the brake handle in the right place. The guy who built these was obviously an idiot! It was at this stage that I decided to do one in late GWR livery and one in BR fitted wagon bauxite. Which means I didn't have to separate one of them into 3 parts for painting. Oh well... To this end, I fixed the vacuum pipes to the GWR example as I wouldn't have to paint the buffer beams black and I find that these vertical stand type ones can get in the way a bit if you fix them on before hand.

attachicon.gifIMG_1494.jpg

I am now thinking of marketing my latest sensation - Mink A on a stick! Available in a range of yummy flavours! Such as:

Primer Grey!

attachicon.gifIMG_1522.jpg

Matt Black!

attachicon.gifIMG_1524.jpg

Bauxite AND GWR Grey!

attachicon.gifIMG_1525.jpg

Hmmmm, anyway... A coat of gloss varnish and then a mix of Modelmaster, CCT and Fox transfers produced the correct decals. Then it is time for matt varnish and assembly.Once weathered we ended up with No. 101836 in GWR grey (with fixed brake handles)...

attachicon.gifIMG_1683.jpg

...and No. 101720 in early BR bauxite and ready for the road.

attachicon.gifIMG_1684.jpg

Castle

A very timely revisit to this thread Drew. Can you remember the codes for the transfer packs please particularly the CCT ones.

Hi Robin,

Errr, yes - that was a while ago... The likelihood is that the Fox transfers general GWR wagon sheet was used for the Grey one and the Modelmaster general BR wagons one for the bauxite version. Both are still available I think! I hope this helps.

All the best,

Castle

Hi Robin,

Sorry it has taken a while to get back to you with a full and proper answer! The CCT stuff were sets S1 and S2 as these deal with the Parkside and Cambrian vehicles. The Modelmaster stuff was mainly from the very useful large sheet that had lots of wagon markings from post nationalisation on it but I can't seem to se it on their current website and I don't have the packet any more. The Fox sheet was their basic GWR wagon selection which is obvious on their website.

I hope this helps good sir!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

A Mink A (x2)

The Mink series of vehicles is a telegraphic code that covers a huge range of different vehicles in the V diagram. Even within just the short wheelbase 4 wheel Minks, there is huge variation. Different heights and brake set ups were experimented with early on so this whole area is a potential minefield for modellers and historians alike! The design gave rise to several vehicles in other diagrams and conversions to workshop (CC diagram) vehicles were done too.

The pair at 81E were built within the years of 1924 & 1925 to Dia. V14. The V14s were built over a long period between 1912 to 1927. Those built before 1923 were, as built, rated for a 10 ton load and those after went up to 12 tons. A total of 3,841 vehicles inhabited this diagram in the end so they must have had something going for them! No. 101836 has lead a fairly anonymous life but No. 101720 has carried the distinctive livery of a vehicle caught up in the trade of flour delivery. This van is currently undergoing a very thorough restoration by 81E's wagon team and should be done towards the end of this or the beginning of next year.

Primer Grey!

attachicon.gifIMG_1522.jpg

Matt Black!

attachicon.gifIMG_1524.jpg

Bauxite AND GWR Grey!

attachicon.gifIMG_1525.jpg

Hmmmm, anyway... A coat of gloss varnish and then a mix of Modelmaster, CCT and Fox transfers produced the correct decals. Then it is time for matt varnish and assembly.Once weathered we ended up with No. 101836 in GWR grey (with fixed brake handles)...

attachicon.gifIMG_1683.jpg

...and No. 101720 in early BR bauxite and ready for the road.

attachicon.gifIMG_1684.jpg

Transfers are also available from Parkside for the BR version [fitted and unfitted]  here.

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/B.R._1948-65_Livery_-_Wagon_Transfers.html

M4691 code.

Edited by gwrrob

+

The ModelMaster set does not appear to provide for a

running pair of the POLLEN C.- enough for only one

wagon is present

I have a rub-on sheet, with GWR Gray backing as carrier

for small print items; for the POLLEN C and with numbers

for the 3 sets produced. (per Tourett)

I have artwork for the "E" but have not had it printed.

Noel

Edited by Dazzler Fan
  • Like 1