Kev's 7mm Workbench (Scorpio M2 Shunter's Truck)

Kev_Lewis

Having been a member on here for a bit and a long time lurker, I think it's time to start a workbench thread to show what I'm up to. On the desk at the moment I have a Scorpio Models GWR 14XX/58XX kit, which I bought at Reading last year.

In the kit you get a nice selection of nickel silver and brass etches, a large amount of whitemetal castings, a few brass castings and rather helpfully, prerolled smokebox and boiler.

Here's my progess on the chassis so far:

post-12902-0-35313600-1328656383_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-83988300-1328656418_thumb.jpg

Still to add are the brakes and associated bits, the dummy inside motion, the ash pan and a few other bits.

And finally a photo of the chassis with the motor and gear box fitted having a spin on the rolling road. The screwdriver won't be part of the final build :D

post-12902-0-79633400-1328656997_thumb.jpg

Always like, and get tempted by, the Scorpio Models stand at Reading.

They do make a nice range of kits, which are very competatively priced. In the background of the first photo above is one of thier outside framed Siphon G kits which I built before xmas. Now I just need some nice weather to finish painting it.

It looks very good. Were the any problems with the construction so far? It always feels good when you get the chassis underpower.

It all went together very well. The only issue was stiff running once I put the coupling rods (from Premier Components) on the wheels. This turned out to be caused by the driving axels being a bit to close together, so a little fettling and it was running perfectly.

Kev,

I'm a beginner in O gauge. I have built and will soon be painting a few wagon kits, both in plastic and brass.

I plan to progress onto a G.W.R. tank engine in the not too distant future, as my first venture into locomotive building.

My question I'd like to ask: would you recommend this 14XX to me as a newcomer?

Hello Kev,

before you go to far into the build, how about putting some photos of the etches and castings up on your thread?

I've got a Scorpio tender kit due to arrive next week for my Bulldog build.

OzzyO.

I don't know what the brass was like for this 14xx kit, but some/all of the wagon kits I have done and the Dean 060PT and other wagons pending in the queue have all required a very thorough clean before starting. I think it is some form of etch resist or perhaps the quality of the brass but without an attack with Cif/Vim they just resist the solder. But must add the frets so far have been well laid out - the castings in general are ok, though just ok. But when you remember what you pay (from £25 for a 7mm wagon kit) I think they are still good value.

would you recommend this 14XX to me as a newcomer?

You might be better off with a Connoisseur Models starter kit for a first loco.

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/Starter%20Loco.html

I built one 18 months ago and I learnt a lot from it.

Who's kit?

Mike

Opps.... must take note of the title properly, obviously too early in the morning!

I know the feeling. I use that excuse right up to midday!

I don't know what the brass was like for this 14xx kit, but some/all of the wagon kits I have done and the Dean 060PT and other wagons pending in the queue have all required a very thorough clean before starting. I think it is some form of etch resist or perhaps the quality of the brass but without an attack with Cif/Vim they just resist the solder. But must add the frets so far have been well laid out - the castings in general are ok, though just ok. But when you remember what you pay (from £25 for a 7mm wagon kit) I think they are still good value.

I don't go as far as washing everything before I start, but I do give all my etches a good going over with this:

http://www.eileensemporium.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=eny_fly_default.tpl&product_id=4092&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=9

Hello Kev,

before you go to far into the build, how about putting some photos of the etches and castings up on your thread?

I've got a Scorpio tender kit due to arrive next week for my Bulldog build.

OzzyO.

That's a good idea. Here we go.....

Most of the chassis whitemetal castings on the desk.

post-12902-0-13425900-1328822159_thumb.jpg

Remaining etches.

post-12902-0-02912800-1328822200_thumb.jpg

Body castings.

post-12902-0-56455000-1328822211_thumb.jpg

Pre-rolled boiler and smokebox.

post-12902-0-23060500-1328822222_thumb.jpg

Dummy inside motion and backhead fittings.

post-12902-0-22046400-1328822228_thumb.jpg

Brass castings.

post-12902-0-55951700-1328822238_thumb.jpg

I've been watching your workbench thread for a while OzzyO, your fantastic work is very inspirational.

• RMweb Gold

Kev,

I'm a beginner in O gauge. I have built and will soon be painting a few wagon kits, both in plastic and brass.

I plan to progress onto a G.W.R. tank engine in the not too distant future, as my first venture into locomotive building.

My question I'd like to ask: would you recommend this 14XX to me as a newcomer?

Keep saving your money and buy the Modern Outline Kits one its by far better and it may be a fair bit more expensive but you get what you pay for the casings are 2nd to none and the kit comes with excellent instructions.

Mark J

Yep the brass looks just as bad! Dull rather than shiny.

Try one of these garryflex.jpg far less painful than shards of glass.

Thanks for the tip. I've ordered a couple, one each of medium and fine grit.

Nice set of part. I have done a couple of the 14XX but not this one. They were very similar and built into lovely engines, Keep up the good work. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks, I should have an update in a couple of days.

I really didn't expect to have any progress to show so soon, but the addition of some modelling fuel.......

post-12902-0-15619000-1329082949_thumb.jpg

........ and a couple of good sessions I've managed to complete the dummy inside valve gear.

Before fitting the inside valve gear I fitted the hornblock castings and springs. The hornblocks on the middle axle needed to be reduced in depth by about 1mm each to allow enough room for the gearbox. I'm only using a simple 40:1 worm and gear which is quite wide, there are other narrower gearboxes out there, but once the model is completed the hornblock butchery shouldn't be visable.

The dummy inside valve gear was interesting to assemble. All the castings needed a little cleaning up and assembled pretty well in the end. The instructions aren't brilliantly clear about how it goes together, so a quick Google search turned up this: http://www.joenemeth...m/new_build.htm a fantastic 10 1/4 inch gauge 14XX build, with some excellent photo's.

More cutting down was required to leave enough room for the gearbox, but hopefully this also won't show once the body is on.

From above.

post-12902-0-87962600-1329084805_thumb.jpg

From below.

post-12902-0-37585400-1329084795_thumb.jpg

Now I will admit that the white metal castings aren't the best I've seen and my modelling skills don't do them the best justice possible. All that aside they do IMHO give a good representation of the prototype.

You may have noticed that I have also made a start on the brakes and the sandboxes. FInishing these is next. I've also got to fabricate a second ashpan side, as oddly only one side is included in the kit.

• RMweb Gold

I.You may have noticed that I have also made a start on the brakes and the sandboxes. FInishing these is next. I've also got to fabricate a second ashpan side, as oddly only one side is included in the kit.

I'm sure there was a note in the instructions about having to make a couple of parts in this kit it used to be one support bracket and the ashpan side if I rememeber right it was a long time ago when I built one of these.

Mark J

I'm sure there was a note in the instructions about having to make a couple of parts in this kit it used to be one support bracket and the ashpan side if I rememeber right it was a long time ago when I built one of these.

Mark J

Yeah, it's all mentioned in the instructions. I would have thought that they could just put an extra etch in for the parts they missed off.

Yeah, it's all mentioned in the instructions. I would have thought that they could just put an extra etch in for the parts they missed off.

Perhaps showing the age of the kit ... and of Mark J :D and perhaps, more sadly, the number that they sell?

Perhaps showing the age of the kit ... and of Mark J :D and perhaps, more sadly, the number that they sell?

Well the etches have 1/8/96 on them, over 15 years old. I'm not really sure if 15 years constitutes an old kit.

At £125 I feel that this Scorpio kit is excellent value for money. I would have thought it would be a reasonably popular kit.

Hi Kev, this was the first etched loco kit I built. It took me quite some time and was a very steep learning curve and I enjoyed the whole process. I found the white-metal castings a bit of a trial as some of them were a little difficult to identify, particularly the inside valve gear and I can remember being very suprised by having to make one of the ash-pan sides. It lead me on to doing a great deal of research and beginning to scratch build. A great start to 7mm loco building at a fantastic price (it was £95 when I bought it). And all those rivets!

Here's No. 1405 from above, showing some of the extra detail I added.

post-7598-0-97385800-1329299392_thumb.jpg

Good luck, it looks like you've made a great start!

Simon

• RMweb Gold

At £125 I feel that this Scorpio kit is excellent value for money. I would have thought it would be a reasonably popular kit.

IIRC it's gone up to £140 now, but still excellent value.

They have a good range of GWR tank engines at great prices. I've been plodding through one of their 850 class kits for a while now.

Hi Kev, this was the first etched loco kit I built. It took me quite some time and was a very steep learning curve and I enjoyed the whole process. I found the white-metal castings a bit of a trial as some of them were a little difficult to identify, particularly the inside valve gear and I can remember being very suprised by having to make one of the ash-pan sides. It lead me on to doing a great deal of research and beginning to scratch build. A great start to 7mm loco building at a fantastic price (it was £95 when I bought it). And all those rivets!

Here's No. 1405 from above, showing some of the extra detail I added.

post-7598-0-97385800-1329299392_thumb.jpg

Good luck, it looks like you've made a great start!

Simon

Thanks for your kind comments Simon. I'm glad I wasn't the only one surprised by the unexpected scratch building. My work is certainly a long way off yours, the Earl is looking exqusite. Your 14XX looks really great too.

Not a lot of modelling has happened this week. I have had a go at making the second ashpan side from some scrap brass.

post-12902-0-62947500-1329421243.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality picture, I struggled to get a good close up. It's not far of the original one, the top is a little wonky, but that won't show once it's attached.

Archived