Kev's 7mm Workbench (Scorpio M2 Shunter's Truck)

Kev_Lewis

• 3 weeks later...

5815 is getting really close to being finished now. This update has been a little bit longer coming than I had planned because my bottle of Roket Odourless, which I planned on using to glue the glazing is no longer odourless. So, eventually I got around to ordering a new bottle. Here's the result, glazing fitted and coal in the bunker.

post-12902-0-32929900-1342122945_thumb.jpg

post-12902-0-91300300-1342122956_thumb.jpg

As the weather was nice today I took the chance to weather a few wagons. The next time the weather is nice it'll be 5815 infront of the airbrush.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening all,

It's been a few weeks since my last update to this thread, but I've not been away from modelling. Mostly I've been working on some of my nearly finished peices of rolling stock, photo's of which will most likely appear on my blog in the future.

Now, about 18 months ago I had a bash at building a Just Like The Real Thing 57XX Pannier Tank and although I did a reasonably good job building it I was never quite happy. The main issue being the chassis, which wasn't quite square and I was never able to get it to run to a standard I was happy with. Last winter I aquired a replacement chassis which ran very well, but I wasn't happy with the level of detail.

After pondering what to do, even considering selling it, the solution came to me. Strip down both chassis' and rebuild one good running, well detailed chassis.

Here's a photo of the rebuilt chassis. This is not intended to be a "super detailed" peice of modelling. I just used the bits I had at hand to make something that looks about right.

post-12902-0-35126600-1344201970_thumb.jpg

Managed to get a coat of primer on it today. I've run out of black etch primer so I used Acid 8 which I bought to use on one of my wagons. I'm very impressed with Acid 8, it leaves a very smoothe finish.

post-12902-0-20171400-1344201977_thumb.jpg

And finally just for reference here's a photo of the body of the 57XX. It's not perfect, but I think with a bit of tidying up (and a dust!) it'll be passable.

post-12902-0-65105100-1344201963_thumb.jpg

Hi Kev,

" Passable " it's much more than passable you have done a nice job there, it will be nice to see some pics when the body and chassis come together. There is something I would like to reccomend with reference to blackening the buffers and couplings and that is Birchwood Casey " Brass black ", I have tried quite a few blackening agents in the past and none of them gave an overall colour and were a bit flakey. But Brian Daniels of this parish put me on to Brass black and it works a treat, once the buffers are blackened I rub a small amount of pencil lead onto the buffer heads to give it that worn look.

ATB,

Martyn.

Thanks for a great thread!

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete.

Hi Kev,

" Passable " it's much more than passable you have done a nice job there, it will be nice to see some pics when the body and chassis come together. There is something I would like to reccomend with reference to blackening the buffers and couplings and that is Birchwood Casey " Brass black ", I have tried quite a few blackening agents in the past and none of them gave an overall colour and were a bit flakey. But Brian Daniels of this parish put me on to Brass black and it works a treat, once the buffers are blackened I rub a small amount of pencil lead onto the buffer heads to give it that worn look.

ATB,

Martyn.

Thanks Martyn. The bunker of the pannier is the bit I'm least proud of, hence the picture showing it's good side!

There will be lots more photo's as the work progresses. I sprayed the chassis black tonight. Tomorrow I hope to weather it.

The buffers and couplings are on the list of things I need to fix on the body. Cheers for all the tips.

Hi Kev,

I know where your coming from concerning the bunkers I have built a couple of the jltrt panniers and if you think they are tricky, keep away from their 42xx class.

ATB,

Martyn.

I'd really like to have another got at one of their panniers. Hopefully, with the experience I now have I should be able to produce more satisfactory results.

keep away from their 42xx class.

Hmmm, I've had my eye on the 56XX kit and that has a very simular looking bunker to th 42XX.

Hmmm, I've had my eye on the 56XX kit and that has a very simular looking bunker to th 42XX.

Hello Kev,

the 56xx kit was the first one that I built from J.L.T.R.T. it fits together well. IIRC the hardest parts to get a nice fit on are the bunker corners and the inset for the rear top lamp iron. On the frames the only parts that "may" give you any probs. are the parts for the radial rear axle, the spring can be a bit stiff and the castings will need a bit of cleaning up to get them to slide nicely. But that's just part of kit building.

I built it before I started to take photos of my builds so no photos sorry.

OzzyO.

This may be a stupid question to ask, but is Scorpio Models the same as Mercian Models?

That's not a stupid question at all. There are so many small 7mm companies they all get a bit confusing sometimes.

The simple answer is no.

Scorpio produce thier own brand kits as well as the Gemini Wagon Range. All in 7mm. They are based in Newport, Wales.

Mercian are from Hagley, Worcestershire. And produce kits in 3.5mm, 4mm, 7mm and 10mm scales.

Archived