EBay madness

Marcyg

1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

OO Gauge GT3

29 bids and £101 so far.  I hope those bidding realise it is a scratch-built body on a Triang Duchess chassis rather than the recent KR Models version.

Cheers

Darius

59 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

To be fair to the seller he does mention that quite clearly in the description, now if bidders can't be bothered to read it, well, that's another thing altogether!

'Mike.

I believe there was a resin body kit available for the  GT3, I expect that its one of those.  Its fairly neatly made and painted. Perhaps some of the bidders think they might be getting a bargain...

Haven't we seen something along the lines of "Not really one for the rivet counters" before? 

And if you flip image 5, you can see that the seller bought someting for £249.96, and the address their order would be delivered to...

Edited by Hroth
Look what you reveal if you're not careful...
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Why spend £20 when you can get something for £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNWR-D-S-404-D16-Brake-Van-Untouched-In-Packet-LMS-London-North-Western/254919793683?hash=item3b5a675c13:g:jAEAAOSwpdpgYIow

An updated kits is available from London Road Models;

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/various/wagons/

Or have I understimated the valu of an original unopened kit? Is it like a vintage bottle of wine, apparently more valuable uncorked?

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

Why spend £20 when you can get something for £50.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LNWR-D-S-404-D16-Brake-Van-Untouched-In-Packet-LMS-London-North-Western/254919793683?hash=item3b5a675c13:g:jAEAAOSwpdpgYIow

An updated kits is available from London Road Models;

https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/various/wagons/

Or have I understimated the valu of an original unopened kit? Is it like a vintage bottle of wine, apparently more valuable uncorked?

You're probably right. I have bid on a few D&S kits, (ones which aren't available via London Road,) but given the prices on eBay, I don't bother with the idea now. I suspect that like a lot of vintage plastic kits, aircraft for instance, they'll go into a drawer for another 20 years or so as an investment. 

• Like 5

Two David Geen  kits have just sold for over £200 each.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Coach-Kit-David-Geen-MRK-W-066-GWR-Toplight-Brake-3rd-Diagram-D-69-New/233937017018?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You can buy them for £110 direct from the maker

Mike Wiltshire

Edited by Coach bogie
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

According to the seller's blurb, the kits are: "sadly no longer available, much missed and highly sought after".

Of course, if you can convince enough people that something is rare, sought after, obsolete, hard to find.... It doesn't really matter whether or not it's still available. :D

• Agree 4

48 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Two David Geen  kits have just sold for over £200 each.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brass-Coach-Kit-David-Geen-MRK-W-066-GWR-Toplight-Brake-3rd-Diagram-D-69-New/233937017018?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You can buy them for £110 direct from the maker

Mike Wiltshire

But you posted here that he was retired.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/134151-david-geen-model-railway-kits-retirement/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

According to the seller's blurb, the kits are: "sadly no longer available, much missed and highly sought after".

Of course, if you can convince enough people that something is rare, sought after, obsolete, hard to find.... It doesn't really matter whether or not it's still available. :D

Certainly makes you wonder:

"The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 made it an offence for businesses or salespeople to sell a product or service based on misinformation. The Act forced them to be more truthful about their service or product and not deliberately mislead consumers into spending their money on a false claim."

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The problem being that eBay is full of private individuals who cannot be policed and if they were would get away with claiming ignorance or having been misinformed themselves.

Hence Caveat emptor! I guess model railway newbies are at greater risk than the grizzled, old hands who can differentiate between a coupling rod and 'valve gear'? :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What am I looking at here? Looks like modified Hornby 0-gauge? 

It's a Bowman, entry level live steam. That would be running in a half hour!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 33C said:

"We think it's not working" - because we applied 12V to the wheels and nothing happened, presumably.

As you say, live steam; the cylinders are the giveaway.  In which case while expensive, it's not as hilariously so as other items on this thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

2 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

What am I looking at here? Looks like modified Hornby 0-gauge? 

1 hour ago, Metr0Land said:

"we think it is not working" - no sh*t Sherlock?

23 minutes ago, 33C said:

10 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

"We think it's not working" - because we applied 12V to the wheels and nothing happened, presumably.

As you say, live steam; the cylinders are the giveaway.  In which case while expensive, it's not as hilariously so as other items on this thread.

Given the neglect of the tin-work, its not seen any care for donkeys years!

Having just inspected an old Mamod stationary engine that I'd had as a child, and noted the seals, etc that need replacing before trying to fire it up, I expect that a 1930s live steam toy that works in a similar manner would need such parts replacing and though the boiler pressure would be around 10psi at most, I wouldn't be willing to try it out!

Given that, "not working" is a fairly accurate assessment...

As for the price, well, if you need it to complete your collection, then thats your (misguided in my opinion) choice.

And another thing, an excellent entry in the "rubbish photographs" stakes!  Poorly clipped out of an image to hide the background, it beats me why they didn't find a couple of sheets of white paper to pose it on, and the lighting?  Its almost a case of "why bother"?  :scratchhead:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Given the neglect of the tin-work, its not seen any care for donkeys years!

Having just inspected an old Mamod stationary engine that I'd had as a child, and noted the seals, etc that need replacing before trying to fire it up, I expect that a 1930s live steam toy that works in a similar manner would need such parts replacing and though the boiler pressure would be around 10psi at most, I wouldn't be willing to try it out!

Given that, "not working" is a fairly accurate assessment...

As for the price, well, if you need it to complete your collection, then thats your (misguided in my opinion) choice.

And another thing, an excellent entry in the "rubbish photographs" stakes!  Poorly clipped out of an image to hide the background, it beats me why they didn't find a couple of sheets of white paper to pose it on, and the lighting?  Its almost a case of "why bother"?  :scratchhead:

Just seen a photo of a rather scruffy, LMS liveried Bowman, minus its spirit burner, that sold at auction for £35.00.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3