EBay madness

Marcyg

8 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

7 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Because it's "Playworn"? :dancing:

7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Possibly the most warped examples that I have seen. I like the seller's name: "things I found". 

Where? The tip?

I like the concept that any Rovex 6" celluloid banana coach with Mk1 hook-and-eye couplings is a "scale model"*, even back in the early 50s they were merely toys, initially created as a Christmas special item for Marks and Spencers.

The only reason for buying these sad remains must be to complete an early Rovex set with missing/even more appallingly deformed coaches!

* Just did a quick calculation. 6 inches works out as 37.5 ft "scale"**, so barely longer than a typical 6-wheel coach. "Detailed" is beyond the pale...

** The current Hornby R40077 6-wheel coach in BR livery  is 160mm long by the catalogue, which makes it actually 40ft scale...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Missing some buffers.

The original Rovex Richmond produced coaches have the bogies secured by wood screws, into projections from the roof, thus securing the roof as well.

This usually holds the ends of the roofs down as the cellulose acetate warps.

The Tri-ang versions have riveted (eyelets) bogies, and glued roofs...the glue tends to part, and the roofs warp upwards at the ends...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Missing some buffers.

The original Rovex Richmond produced coaches have the bogies secured by wood screws, into projections from the roof, thus securing the roof as well.

This usually holds the ends of the roofs down as the cellulose acetate warps.

The Tri-ang versions have riveted (eyelets) bogies, and glued roofs...the glue tends to part, and the roofs warp upwards at the ends...

Scrolling along the images, they're all "Richmonds" with woodscrews through the bogies. The screw threads must have pulled out...

That reminds me, I need to inspect my R0 set. Slightly warped coaches, but nowhere near as awful as this lot when I last looked!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I like the concept that any Rovex 6" celluloid banana coach with Mk1 hook-and-eye couplings is a "scale model"*, even back in the early 50s they were merely toys, initially created as a Christmas special item for Marks and Spencers.

The only reason for buying these sad remains must be to complete an early Rovex set with missing/even more appallingly deformed coaches!

* Just did a quick calculation. 6 inches works out as 37.5 ft "scale"**, so barely longer than a typical 6-wheel coach. "Detailed" is beyond the pale...

** The current Hornby R40077 6-wheel coach in BR livery  is 160mm long by the catalogue, which makes it actually 40ft scale...

"thingsifounduk" - the The Burke and Hare of model railway eBay?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ruffnut Thorston said:

Meanwhile, on the empty box front....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353428140198

:D

5 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It must be SOME empty box for £15!?

~rustic drawl~

The do say that them plain brown boxen are all sold out due to folk sending things by post due to the plague...

But 15 quid for ONE???

samuestoic4 doesn't give a size, but even a cursory search on ebay gives a selection of boxes. This seller offers 25 17"x12"x10" boxes for £20.70 INCUDING delivery!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 2

31 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

It doesn't look empty to me - I'm sure that's some scrunched up paper lurking inside.

I wonder if the seller will pack the empty cardboard box into another cardboard box to post it? The buyer might buy one and get one 'free'??

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, MartinWales said:

Only model railway sized one though.....

Just as I was reading this thread another arrived containing a model locomotive. :D Purchased via e-bay, genuinely kit built. Unmade kit was £80, I paid £101 for it built up and painted, only the pick ups need sorting before it can run on the layout. (Tenshodo spud but I've got a spare of the same wheelbase).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Just as I was reading this thread another arrived containing a model locomotive. :D Purchased via e-bay, genuinely kit built. Unmade kit was £80, I paid £101 for it built up and painted, only the pick ups need sorting before it can run on the layout. (Tenshodo spud but I've got a spare of the same wheelbase).

RESULT!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1