Farish announce A2

Andy Y

Farish announce new LNER A2 Class locomotive

Graham Farish has today announced that it is to produce a LNER Peppercorn A2 Class in N scale. This will be the first ever ready to run N scale model of this particular express passenger locomotive type.

The London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) built the first locomotive to the design of A.H. Peppercorn in 1947. A further 14 locomotives were completed by British Railways in 1948. Used on secondary express passenger duties on the East Coast Main Line between Peterborough and Aberdeen. These locomotives were particularly useful on lines with steep gradients and sharp curves such as the Dundee – Aberdeen and Edinburgh – Carlisle (Waverley Route). The first locomotive was withdrawn in 1962 and the last in 1966. One locomotive (No. 60532 ‘Blue Peter’) has been preserved and is currently being overhauled.

Initially three versions of the locomotive will be produced as follows: No.525 ‘A.H.Peppercorn’ in LNER apple green livery (372-385), No.60537

‘Batchelors Button’ in BR green with early emblem (372-386), No. 60533 ‘Happy Knight’ in BR green with late crest (372-387) and No. 60532 ‘Blue Peter’ in BR lined green with late crest. Features include;

• Powerful 4 axle tender drive mechanism

• Electrical pick up on all driving and tender wheels

• 6PIN decoder socket

• Detailed cab interior

• Double chimney and riveted tender

Each model has a recommended retail price of £141.50 and will be introduced over the next 18 months.

I do hope they won't ALL have double chimneys as Peppercorn and Batchelor's Button never had them......

Looking forward to this one!

Perhaps at some time a single-chimney version with late crest will appear.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's one big delay given there was a decorated sample at Ally Pally, and I note the same now applies to the Duchess.

As it was based around the A1 tender drive the technology was proven and I guess it must simply be down to production capacity.

I just hope they don't hike the price again before release, but I'm not holding my breath!

Looks like it may even miss my birthday now!

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI Steve

Nothing more as far as I know. It was Graham Hubbard himself who gave me the above information at the NGS AGM, so hopefully it is as reliable as is possible. Based on normal transit times that makes them arrrive in the UK mid-August ish, however the Bachmann Website still says Sept/Oct so who knows...

I am looking forward to it too, for me "Sun Chariot" is on pre-order, BR Late Crest.

Regards

Roy

• 1 month later...

I see from the recent update of the Bachmann website that delivery of the A2s has been pushed back yet again.

Now apparently they are to be a November/December delivery.

Very disappointing. I don't think I will risk putting one on my Christmas present list!

Roy

I see from the recent update of the Bachmann website that delivery of the A2s has been pushed back yet again.

Now apparently they are to be a November/December delivery.

Very disappointing. I don't think I will risk putting one on my Christmas present list!

Roy

Aww shucks! There was me hoping that they were going to do a surprise launch at TINGS this weekend! :(

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I popped in to Ian Allan in Manchester and found A H Peppercorn in stock (but none of the others). They are now minus one A2. The apple green livery is more complicated than on Tornado, with red lining to the frames. Was this applied only to 525 or all LNER A2?

Archived