Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Best looking locomotive

Steam: Stanier 'Duchess' in BR red; no question! The A1 comes a very close second though.

Diesel: I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Hymek. A loco that was designed (a rare thing these days) and just looked superb.

Electric: The class 91s, especially accompanied by a full rake of mk4s in original Swallow livery.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Diesel: I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Hymek.

Keep up there at the back..........It's come up at least half-a-dozen times.

The mention of the V2 points me to it's prettier younger cousin - the V4. Only two built so it almost fulfills PLD's wish for "one-offs"

http://www.lner.info/locos/V/v4.shtml

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

For me, the best-looking steam locomotives are all 4-4-0's from that triumvirate of Victorian engineer / artists, William Adams' T3, Harry Wainwright's D, & some of Samuel Johnson's earlier express loco's. They abounded with graceful curves, were beautifully proportioned, & exhibited some of the most stunning paintwork & decorative metalwork ever applied to a mechanical object..

As far as the diesels go, I'm with the majority;- the 'Western' just has that look of modernity & purpose, particularly in the Maroon livery. Every piece of it looks designed to compliment the incredibly stylish whole, rather than it just being a box to contain the gubbins..

For electrics, I'd have to plump for the class 71 in the original green;- Simple, understated style but with pleasant curves, neat detailing, & superlative performance to boot...

Edited by Bruciethefish
  • Like 2

Being as beauty is so subjective it will always be hard to get people to agree on a subject. For my tuppence worth I give you the Seaboard Air Line E4 in citrus colours.http://www.railwayclassics.com/images/sal01/sal3002.jpg

Beautiful!!

Paul L

For steamers I'm hard pressed to choose between a Black 5 and a V2 - I find I much prefer kettles in grubby black rather than green/maroon/blue.

Diesel would have to be a green Peak, split headcode 45 being my favourite . The Peak soundtrack is outstanding IMHO.

I'm not keen on electics, but if pushed I like the look of some of the Austrian crocodiles.

• RMweb Premium

For electrics, I'd have to plump for the class 71 in the original green;- Simple, understated style but with pleasant curves, neat detailing, & superlative performance to boot...

Nice call, Bruce. A very under-estimated class, probably because of their limited area of operation and relatively short life. Blue with full yellow ends did them few favours and you're absolutely right that the original green with the red and grey bands really looked the part.

David

Ok, so you'd like my opinion on what I think is the best Locomotive (or at least best looking).

Well... I do have two choices, both GWR, and I will post the one I think is most desirable first.

For this choice I would have to say it would have to be the Churchward (or is it Churchwood? :lol: ^_^ :D ) designed GWR 3700 "City" Class locomotive.

City of Truro is one particular locomotive I would happily add to my personal collection of GWR locomotives. I also think it's one of the finest survivors of all railway locomotives (just my opinion of course).

Oh and not to mention the finest loco at the Bluebell Railway, the GWR 3200 "Earl" Class No. 3217 / 9017 "Earl of Berkeley.

Although this proud survivor was actually an adaptation of a design previously created by William Dean (it was part of a number of rebuilds from the Duke Class built between between 1895 and 1899, of which several of this class were in fact rebuilt in 1912 under G. J Churchward's guidance, to become Bulldog Class locomotives, several of this later class were then re-designed by his successor the GWR Chief Mechanical Engineer, Charles Benjamin Collett into the Earl Class between 1936 and 1939).

City of Truro:

post-12621-0-36952400-1336169924_thumb.jpg

Earl of Berkeley:

post-12621-0-51708500-1336169922_thumb.jpg

Edited by GWR-Fanatic
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Having just spent several hours at the NYMR at Grosmont, the Britannia is most definitely confirmed in my list (with Peppercorn A1/A2) of best-looking steam loco. 70000 in green looked quite superb. 9F 92214 "Cock of the North" in black was pretty good too, but let's not get carried away!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Pre-group, M.R. Johnson singles.

Grouping, L.M.S. Duchess, single chimney, no deflectors. L.M.S. 8F. L.N.E.R. P2 Cock of the North, as first built.

Post grouping, Non. Maybe DoG?

Diesel, Kestrel. The twins.

DMUs The Swindon trans Pennine units.

Electrics, EM1 / 2. GG1

OzzyO.

Edit forgot DMUs

Edited by ozzyo

I think that the V2's rebuilt with outside steam pipes look a lot better than the originals, more balanced somehow. I would give the original Cock o' the North my vote BUT obviously I haven't seen it in the flesh, let alone in action. City of Truro left me cold until I saw her working at the Severn Valley. Superb with the red frames etc, much less so when the simpler green and black livery was applied.

Livery is really important here, as is the train. A red Western on a matching set of mark 1's is possibly my all time favourite train, whereas a grotty blue one is horrendous.

I have to say that the Grand Central 180's coming through Stevenage look Superb, possibly because they look like they are out of the USA in the 30's.

Electric loco I like a lot is the Southern 71?( the one the NRM has) but also the GG1 and the Raven NER one.

Overall though has to go to Gresley, but don't make me choose between his pacifics or livery please.

Ed

• Like 2

(I see nobody has mentioned the wonderful GWR King Class... so I'm going to! :D )

What about the GWR 6000 "King" Class. A fine group of locomotives designed by C. B. Collett between 1927 and 1936.

Edited by GWR-Fanatic
  • Like 3

I now nominate the BR(E) P2 2-8-2 in BR green after seeing the wonderfully creative artwork on Gallery recently by Mathew Cousins. :good_mini:

Oh, dear - I almost wish you hadn't called my attention to that, coach. Another bitter-sweet might-have-been...

Edited by bluebottle

For steam my vote goes to the 9F. It is fitting that the final BR design should be the finest. Close behind it for me comes the Chinese QJ with deflectors. Nine years ago I was lucky enough to see them in the wild in the Jing Peng Pass and a freight train with two on the front and one on the back is quite a sight and sound to behold!

For diesel I was going to go with the Westerns until Bruciethefish reminded us of the D600 class. If ever there was a misnamed loco it was Active but they looked good until they received headcode boxes.

As for electrics, I'll go with the 71s in original livery. If obly we had had Crocodiles in this country and if only I had discovered Switzerland when there were still lots of them.

I'm collecting my new glasses on Tuesday. They will not be rose tinted.

Chris

I now nominate the BR(E) P2 2-8-2 in BR green after seeing the wonderfully creative artwork on Gallery recently by Mathew Cousins. :good_mini:

There's also the P2 Mons Megs in BR Green on Roy Jackson's Retford - seen in the last Modelling Inspirations, I believe.

• Like 1

...and then there is the C38 Class 4-6-2 Pacific (Streamlined version, 3801-3805) of the New South Wales Government Railways. This is the loco (3801) that paraded around Australia with the Flying Scotsman, when it visited down under for our bi-centenery celebrations...

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 2