Class 350 'Desiro'

alibuchan

I have been told by my local shop, that the 350 should be out on either this weeks or next weeks deliveries from Farish.

It is on the due in 60 days list on the farish website.

Just in time for our jaunt out with Kinlet Wharf to DEMU show.

Alistair

I've got one of the new 'unbranded' Desiros now. It's a stunning model, the equal of any Japanese or American made unit from

a point of fine detail, fit and finish. Unfortunately they haven't corrected some errors seen on the EP version last year but I'm

sure it will be universally applauded and accepted.

Pic below.

G.

dsc3548.jpg

Looks good, and a nice-to-have rather than a must-buy for me, so allow me to be critical.

After struggling with the abysmal inter-car couplings on.the farish voyager, what system have they used here ? It's not shown on the photo, and will be a deal breaker for me.

Also, how many dcc decoders are needed for full control of the lights etc ?

What is performance like. and where is the motored car ?

This is also the first farish model I'm interested in since Bachmanns "price control" policy (or is it blackmail?) Came in. Are they all around £135 or is anyone being brave/stupid ?

After struggling with the abysmal inter-car couplings on.the farish voyager, what system have they used here ? It's not shown on the photo, and will be a deal breaker for me.

Hi there

It uses the standard Arnold hook, there is a photo of it in the Warley thread in the Exhibition section (I am too stupid to link this to the photo), Colin Allbright advised me a few months ago the short shank couplers will bring the coaches very close together.

Es grüßt Euch

PC

• RMweb Premium

This is also the first farish model I'm interested in since Bachmanns "price control" policy (or is it blackmail?) Came in. Are they all around £135 or is anyone being brave/stupid ?

Hi Dave, this was announced in the 2011/2012 catalogue and Bachmann's new policy applies only to 2012/2013 announcements onwards so the Desiro isn't affected by the new policy.

Cheers, Richard

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately they haven't corrected some errors seen on the EP version last year but I'm

sure it will be universally applauded and accepted

Hi Graham. Out of interest, what errors are these?

I really must hold off until they do the 450, but its such a nice looking model I'm finding it very difficult!

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Hello all

The inter-car couplers are standard Rapidos in NEM pockets on close coupler mounts, bar the power bogie coupler which is mounted on the bogie. The couplers in Graham's unit have simply had the Rapido coupler removed from the end to improve the appearance.

The motor is housed in one half of the pantograph vehicle (beneath the pantograph.)

There is a switch on the underside of each power car to allow the lights to be deactivated, so two unit sets can be run with lights at the outer ends only.

cheers

Ben A.

Thank you all for your answers. Just one final one - it looks like it will ne a dear one to dcc, as I'm guessing its two for the driving cars and another one for the motor car.

It looks good, bar the panto being the wrong design. Still, it looks robust and works - the brecknell Willis being a bit too hard to meet the requirements of a sturdy, working design for the mass market ?

• RMweb Gold

You could fit a Dapol Brecknall-Willis pantograph if you so wished but the standard pan supplied certainly looks good enough and is probably a lot more robust. Not sure what the errors are that Grahame referrs to - aside from the clunky looking wiring looms between the cars, it looks all good.

Thank you all for your answers. Just one final one - it looks like it will ne a dear one to dcc, as I'm guessing its two for the driving cars and another one for the motor car.

I have the two London Midland ones on order. Although these will be relatively expensive to DCC hopefully it will be easier to remove the bodyshells than for the 4CEP. Good that this time the end of train lighting can be switched off in analogue DC mode.

Interesting to compare the spec and ease of decoder installation with another Bachmann EMU - the Liliput FLIRT. This manages with just one decoder socket to cover the two motored cars and the interior lighting, made easier by the articulated nature of the train. Decoder installation involves removing one cab front and the bodyshell. It looks as difficult to assemble and place on the track as a Farish Voyager!

http://bastler-hp.de/?option=com_content&view=article&id=387&cat=8&Itemid=53#tag_3

This was chosen model of the year by the 1zu160 website in Germany. Of course at well over £200 in the UK it is a bit pricier than a Class 350 or a 4CEP.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Ran a London Midland version on Horseley Fields yesterday. A couple of photos in that thread but here is an extra one. The model is very smooth running and looks good. Getting the bodyshell off the power (panto) car is quite fiddly as the join between the body and the "solebar" is so fine - best done by starting beneath the doors and working along...

post-420-0-12864100-1337616874_thumb.jpg

But a lovely lovely model nonetheless.

cheers

Ben A.

The price is making me wince, but I'll certainly be putting an order in soon!

Considering its almost certain Bachmann will never do a class 360 variant, I'm wondering just how feasible a conversion might be? Its certainly a lot more work than to a class 450! Removing the corridor connector would be the easy bit ... its just re-creating the curved windscreen glazing thats troubling me ...

shop around there will be some places that will have them cheaper than others.

The more that are brought the more chance that Dapol might say that the Pendolino and 92's are a go'er or Farish will update the 90 because this has proved that there is a market for it.

(I may just be saying this because our club will want about 4 Pendolino's :secret: )

Alistair

Considering its almost certain Bachmann will never do a class 360 variant, I'm wondering just how feasible a conversion might be?

Have Bachmann stated anywhere that they will not be making a 360? While the 450 is easier and a logical progression, the 360 would not be that much harder. Just sticking on a new cab and livery (unless there are more subtle differences I have missed).

• RMweb Gold

Have Bachmann stated anywhere that they will not be making a 360? While the 450 is easier and a logical progression, the 360 would not be that much harder. Just sticking on a new cab and livery (unless there are more subtle differences I have missed).

No they haven't, but then no-one knows what plans they have for the future, and it's probable they are waiting to see how the 350 sells before deciding whether any other versions of the Desiro family are worth proceeding with. It looks like a fine model and I just hope it sells well enough to convince them more versions are worth doing, particularly the 450. That said, the 360 does offer more livery variation.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Picked up my 350 at Railfest a couple of days ago and most taken with the first RTR overhead unit for the UK scene. One question...does it come with a "bits bag"? I was wondering if there were any options for reducing the inter-car coupling gap and fitting deflectors and dummy couplers to the end?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adam

Surprisingly there is no "bits" bag; I did suggest to Bernard Taylor at the NGS AGM that a snap-in Dellner type coupler for the ends would be a useful detail add-on.

Also, although the instruction sheet mentions alternative short couplers, this is an error as they are not supplied.

cheers

Ben A.

Archived