Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

11 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I've just had to google 'Bayko' - must have been a bit before my time? Mind you, I cheered up when I saw the word 'Meccano' :)

You youngsters!

My sister had a set.  It was quite good fun making various buildings but didn't actually do anything when you had finished.  I think my Mum preferred it though, she got fed up with extracting Meccano nuts and bolts from the Hoover.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

I had a Bayko building set when I was young.  The plastic brick blocks went many decades ago but the metal vertical rods which you inserted into the plastic base unit still exist.  They are a useful stock of various lengths of rod which I resort to from time to time.  In fact I retrieved 4 to use only last week.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I remember Bayko. The name , presumably, came from the bakelite which was used for the thick bases and the sliding wall sections

As I remember some of the problems were:-

The thickness of the base making it difficult to utilise with OO track (the old original Series 4 (?) Triang track.

(It would have been fine with Hornby tinplate - but ours mysteriously vanished.)

Any bent rods would result in lateral pressures in the base - which being quite brittle could then fracture, especially on the edges and corners.

There was also a brick system with (I presume) ceramic bricks which could be assembled with water soluble paste. If I remember correctly flour-and-water paste could be used as a substitute.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, drmditch said:

There was also a brick system with (I presume) ceramic bricks which could be assembled with water soluble paste. If I remember correctly flour-and-water paste could be used as a substitute.

I think this may have been called something like "Brickplayer".

I had a set when I was a child, I can't remember exactly how old I was.

The bricks had a slightly rough surface and looked and felt quite realistic to me as a child.  

David

Edited by DaveF
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, that was Brickplayer, the bricks were laid with flour and water paste - I had both that and Bayko in my childhood, as well as Meccano and Hornby Dublo trains.

Three out of four for me - ours was a Tri-ang Railways home (although my cousins had HD 3-rail and in fact one of them still has it all, boxed up in Adelaide).

• Like 2

I also had Bayko. I still remember playing with it. I never had Meccano. I think Dad was more interested in buying Hornby Dublo. I gave the Bayko away for a church fete when we were cleaning out my parents home 16 or so years ago. I wonder if they were able to sell it or it went to the dump?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

There, I've just amended that for you ...

I think you miss the point. They can both be whatever you want them to be, they are both only limited by the imagination of the user. The play value is immense and neither of them are only for children many adults still play with Lego as my grand children will tell you. I'm always "helping" them build stuff....

What can I say little boys never grow up they just get more expensive toys!:senile:

Regards Lez.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I think you miss the point. They can both be whatever you want them to be, they are both only limited by the imagination of the user. The play value is immense and neither of them are only for children many adults still play with Lego as my grand children will tell you. I'm always "helping" them build stuff....

What can I say little boys never grow up they just get more expensive toys!:senile:

Regards Lez.   

Not just imagination, but also learning the technical skills and engineering design factors, especially with Meccano.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.   

I've known Lego to be used for designing kitchens, and for temporary stand in buildings on a model railway (let's see how this works before we start cutting plasticard).  On the other hand, Dad used to have a Meccano "thing" for making his own solenoid point motors.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have a few small boxes of Meccano bit's and bobs I guard like a zealot. I snatch it when it's cheap on ebay. I have quite a nice little hoard going now, sometimes only a bit of Meccano will do the job at short notice, at least as a temporarily fix or for a prototype just too prove that the concept will work before you replace it with something more elegant. It's worth it's weight in gold if you ask me....I wish I had more nuts and bolts but hey.   

Regards Lez.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 31A said:

... (with one or two additions):

51 minutes ago, gr.king said:

I especially like the Meccano jam jar lid, the Meccano microswitch and the Meccano custom aluminium plate.

I'm ass assuming those are the additions.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gr.king said:

I especially like the Meccano jam jar lid, the Meccano microswitch and the Meccano custom aluminium plate.

19 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

I'm ass assuming those are the additions.

Those bits, plus the motor from an old tape recorder and the choc block electrical connector!

• Like 3