Grantham - the Streamliner years

LNER4479

5 hours ago, gr.king said:

I see that you too have some vintage Humbrol paints. Mine include some that still have the original "Enamel" branding on the tin, and the old Marfleet factory phone number. I imagine some of yours do too.

There's some of older vintage than that in the main paint box. Some probably not opened for 30-40 years - not sure what I'd find if I ever did try opening them!

5 hours ago, gr.king said:

I am not volunteering, but it occurs to me that one way to animate the horse would be to articulate the legs (using very free-moving joints) and pin the hooves of each pair to a transparent plastic disc, like a bicycle wheel, hoping that the discs (bearing the weight of the horse) actually rotate rather than skid as the creature moves along the road surface. I'm not sure how you would set up the correct gait for the horse without good equine knowledge, nor whether the two discs would remain in phase to maintain that gait...

I did give it some thought (along the lines you describe) ... before deciding that it would greatly eat in to time I couldn't afford to spend, with significant uncertainty as to possible degree of success.

I do have an idea for one further vehicle for the road system that might include elements of animation over and above the basic miniature mechanics of propelling itself along. Watch this space ... although probably not for some while yet.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

There's some of older vintage than that in the main paint box. Some probably not opened for 30-40 years - not sure what I'd find if I ever did try opening them!

In my experience - something of way better quality than the current product!

A piece of bent wire in a minidrill should return the settled contents to an excellent paint - provided the tin lid was airtight when replaced.

CJI.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

I did give it some thought (along the lines you describe) ... before deciding that it would greatly eat in to time I couldn't afford to spend, with significant uncertainty as to possible degree of success.

I do have an idea for one further vehicle for the road system that might include elements of animation over and above the basic miniature mechanics of propelling itself along. Watch this space ... although probably not for some while yet.

I can envisage other problems too, apart from the large amount of time that you correctly suggest it might take, even if you could get the legs satisfactorily articulated, consistently driven by the discs, and correctly in-phase to simulate the proper gait: while the shafts of the cart would keep the horse upright on its "bicycle", there's no low-tech method I can think of to make the transparent discs virtually invisible. If you leave them shiny (and therefore clear) reflections off the surfaces will give the game away, if you abrade or dull-coat them to kill the reflections they'll lose some of their transparency. What would really be needed is ultra-thin rigid plastic with a multi-layer vacuum deposited anti-reflection coating on both sides, and I doubt that such a thing can be had by mere modellers on realistic budgets. You'd have to keep it free from dust, finger prints and scratches too as they'd would show up very strongly....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

24 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

OK. Having now more or less caught up with pre-Leeds preparations, here's what I've been up to in more recent weeks.

DSC02069.JPG.4fb5746d716fe064ceff6df5c1784417.JPG

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist, didn't you? As Grantham's North box is the closest to the public side of the baseboard and as there's still a few bare / boring areas, I thought I'd give the old point rodding a go. Ergo, I thought I'd give the Wills (Peco) point rodding kits a try.

Now, opinion seems to be divided over these, whether they're too large to scale, what region / style they represent. To me, I just want something that gives an impression / feel for the signalling infrastructure that was there and I think this solution is as good as any, certainly practical for what I want it for. As a footnote to that, given that Grantham uses Peco Code 100 track, the whole think is way 'chunkier' than it should be anyway, so ultra-scale point rodding would - in my view - 'jar' a bit in a visual sense.

DSC02081.JPG.23a54e882b43bae7ea4d96dae29b3974.JPG

Another related aspect is that the Britainfromabove pictures showed that there was quite a sizeable hut in this area (north end shunters hut, perhaps?) and that the point rodding went round the back of it (to avoid a tripping hazard for said shunters, perhaps?). As always, our configuration doesn't fully match the original but it certainly adds visual interest.

So what's happened here is that I've chopped away the existing chicken wire n mod-roc in this area and inserted a piece of flat ground. Meanwhile Paul quickly knocked up a suitable looking hut (he likes doing things like that) and here we duly have the rodding going round the back of it. The other thing I'm doing here (bottom right) is to - at last - fit in the correct trap point to protect the adjacent running lines from any stray locos that get a mind of their own on the depot. It is dummy (boo! hiss! cheat!) but I've otherwise been meaning to add this for ages. It also gives an apparent purpose for said point rod run!

DSC02096.JPG.9042ce5e3fbd03a7d7559fc3acfe4828.JPG

And there we go. Definitely a bit more interest than just plain grass bank. Will need a careful coating of cinders to blend in - better done once the point rodding stools are in place as it'll help keep them affixed in place - usual consideration for a portable layout being shaken about in the back of a van for hours on end.

DSC02094.JPG.d410398494f623b544623b7f784a171f.JPG

Meanwhile, there's a more substantial point rodding run coming out of the north face of the box. Students of the protoype location will of course be familiar with this appearing to be masses of rodding and it certainly was in the post-war era. However, pre-war - the pictures don't lie - there was actually far less(!?). This must all point to a massive re-working in 1943 when the north junction was extensively remodelled. So, here, I'm depicting just five rodding runs, which gradually branch off to their associated points as we go from right to left.

Of interest (maybe?) are two little things I've adopted in working with the Wills kits. Firstly, I've stuck tabs cut from black plasticard to the underneath of the end of the rod lengths to give something to stick on to when joining lengths together and indeed fixing on the end drop-down, fork thingies (no doubt there's a better technical term for these). You can see these being prepared on the left hand side.

Secondly, wherever two or three stools are gathered together then they shall have their top bearings drilled through and a piece of 0.5mm n/s wire pushed through to securely attach them together. again, all in the name of robustness / resilience.

DSC02144.JPG.85185d54220cc73c8223f388edd3994b.JPG

So here we are, the north side done more or less as much as it's going to be (just need to attach the final lengths of the last, single run heading bottom left). Where there is foam ballast, the rodding at right angles just ends up buried in the shoulder; however, elsewhere I've dug out the existing ballast and the run goes through (eg bottom left). The convoluted sequence of cranks to get the run round the back of the cabin is a bit of a nonsense really (it wasn't like that on the original); one thing it does do however is appear to link up with the existing, working rodding for the pointwork on the bridge. Also - before the signalling experts point it out, at least one of those rodding runs is superfluous in the sense that it's controlling a crossover so the first point drive rod would come from a drop down, forked end thingy attached to the same run. Ah well, for me it's about the overall impression and it just looks nicely 'busy' enough. 

DSC02140_crop.jpg.832e0f6e30f668e4e422211ef516e252.jpg

A little bit more of a close-up of that main, centre run. Personally, I don't think it looks that bad - and that's really a comment about the suitability or otherwise of the Wills product. I don't doubt that it is a bit over scale but, in the context of what else is around it, it fells right to me. A remaining touch will be to put a cover over to disguise the supposed hole where it comes out of the bottom of the signal box wall. A period picture also shows there was a barrel, catching the rainwater from the guttering downspout, on the right hand side of the box as viewed so that's far too good not to add as well. Such little details will help to fill an otherwise blank space and assist with the final finishing off ... so much as it's ever going to be 'finished'!

Just the other half to do now, coming out of the west elevation and running down towards the station. I think I'll take a break and drop on to something else for a bit. Too much of this stuff in one go makes yer eyes go all squiffy:crazy:

FWIW in my opinion this looks rather good.

As you say, higher wisdom holds this to be far too chunky, but it certainly doesn't look it in your pictures. I like the way it is properly square in cross section as well, something lost by using wire.

John.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I used the Wills point rodding on Sheff Ex Mk1 I couldn't see any problems with it visually. I would have liked some sprues with rodding on short rollers for going under the rails and a means of connecting the lengths of rodding.

005a.jpg.0cb13aace3ed7d67c67d0a5f4900dd63.jpg

003a.jpg.f160071d80bd01fc339db16e16015dc2.jpg

The plan was to make the gap between the running lines and the signal box look like a lifted siding, I even left a gap in rodding runs to represent the removal of the point and lock rodding where the point had been removed with the siding.

2035185484_Sheffieldexchangeroding.png.10d65c1daa88797af10ce89552777008.png

Before making it I sent this plan to Mike Stationmaster for checking and approving. 

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

'Drop down fork ended thingy' seems quite a lot of rather jolly words for a 'pin joint' (at least that's what they were called on the Western).  But still rather jolly for all that.  

There are some interesting Regional/Company differences when it comes to where to use 'square' (channel) rodding and where to use round rodding but no faux pas have emerged at Grantham and it all looks rather good (as does Clive's excellent job)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 18/12/2021 at 16:18, LNER4479 said:

OK. Having now more or less caught up with pre-Leeds preparations, here's what I've been up to in more recent weeks.

DSC02069.JPG.4fb5746d716fe064ceff6df5c1784417.JPG

You knew I wouldn't be able to resist, didn't you? As Grantham's North box is the closest to the public side of the baseboard and as there's still a few bare / boring areas, I thought I'd give the old point rodding a go. Ergo, I thought I'd give the Wills (Peco) point rodding kits a try.

Now, opinion seems to be divided over these, whether they're too large to scale, what region / style they represent. To me, I just want something that gives an impression / feel for the signalling infrastructure that was there and I think this solution is as good as any, certainly practical for what I want it for. As a footnote to that, given that Grantham uses Peco Code 100 track, the whole think is way 'chunkier' than it should be anyway, so ultra-scale point rodding would - in my view - 'jar' a bit in a visual sense.

DSC02081.JPG.23a54e882b43bae7ea4d96dae29b3974.JPG

Another related aspect is that the Britainfromabove pictures showed that there was quite a sizeable hut in this area (north end shunters hut, perhaps?) and that the point rodding went round the back of it (to avoid a tripping hazard for said shunters, perhaps?). As always, our configuration doesn't fully match the original but it certainly adds visual interest.

So what's happened here is that I've chopped away the existing chicken wire n mod-roc in this area and inserted a piece of flat ground. Meanwhile Paul quickly knocked up a suitable looking hut (he likes doing things like that) and here we duly have the rodding going round the back of it. The other thing I'm doing here (bottom right) is to - at last - fit in the correct trap point to protect the adjacent running lines from any stray locos that get a mind of their own on the depot. It is dummy (boo! hiss! cheat!) but I've otherwise been meaning to add this for ages. It also gives an apparent purpose for said point rod run!

DSC02096.JPG.9042ce5e3fbd03a7d7559fc3acfe4828.JPG

And there we go. Definitely a bit more interest than just plain grass bank. Will need a careful coating of cinders to blend in - better done once the point rodding stools are in place as it'll help keep them affixed in place - usual consideration for a portable layout being shaken about in the back of a van for hours on end.

DSC02094.JPG.d410398494f623b544623b7f784a171f.JPG

Meanwhile, there's a more substantial point rodding run coming out of the north face of the box. Students of the protoype location will of course be familiar with this appearing to be masses of rodding and it certainly was in the post-war era. However, pre-war - the pictures don't lie - there was actually far less(!?). This must all point to a massive re-working in 1943 when the north junction was extensively remodelled. So, here, I'm depicting just five rodding runs, which gradually branch off to their associated points as we go from right to left.

Of interest (maybe?) are two little things I've adopted in working with the Wills kits. Firstly, I've stuck tabs cut from black plasticard to the underneath of the end of the rod lengths to give something to stick on to when joining lengths together and indeed fixing on the end drop-down, fork thingies (no doubt there's a better technical term for these). You can see these being prepared on the left hand side.

Secondly, wherever two or three stools are gathered together then they shall have their top bearings drilled through and a piece of 0.5mm n/s wire pushed through to securely attach them together. again, all in the name of robustness / resilience.

DSC02144.JPG.85185d54220cc73c8223f388edd3994b.JPG

So here we are, the north side done more or less as much as it's going to be (just need to attach the final lengths of the last, single run heading bottom left). Where there is foam ballast, the rodding at right angles just ends up buried in the shoulder; however, elsewhere I've dug out the existing ballast and the run goes through (eg bottom left). The convoluted sequence of cranks to get the run round the back of the cabin is a bit of a nonsense really (it wasn't like that on the original); one thing it does do however is appear to link up with the existing, working rodding for the pointwork on the bridge. Also - before the signalling experts point it out, at least one of those rodding runs is superfluous in the sense that it's controlling a crossover so the first point drive rod would come from a drop down, forked end thingy attached to the same run. Ah well, for me it's about the overall impression and it just looks nicely 'busy' enough. 

DSC02140_crop.jpg.832e0f6e30f668e4e422211ef516e252.jpg

A little bit more of a close-up of that main, centre run. Personally, I don't think it looks that bad - and that's really a comment about the suitability or otherwise of the Wills product. I don't doubt that it is a bit over scale but, in the context of what else is around it, it fells right to me. A remaining touch will be to put a cover over to disguise the supposed hole where it comes out of the bottom of the signal box wall. A period picture also shows there was a barrel, catching the rainwater from the guttering downspout, on the right hand side of the box as viewed so that's far too good not to add as well. Such little details will help to fill an otherwise blank space and assist with the final finishing off ... so much as it's ever going to be 'finished'!

Just the other half to do now, coming out of the west elevation and running down towards the station. I think I'll take a break and drop on to something else for a bit. Too much of this stuff in one go makes yer eyes go all squiffy:crazy:

I think the whole effect is excellent, Graham.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Rodding looks amazing!
As you were saying it doesn't look out of place next to the Code 100.
Definitely fills the space in nicely.
Always love the inclusion of signalling infrastructure.

Edited by Sharky
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, gr.king said:

A lot of work at what might seem like a surprising stage in the history of the layout.

It's all the fault of the man they call 'York'. He's threatening to point his camera at the layout during the show. York at Grantham in Doncaster. Confused? You will be after this next episode of ...

All being well, should be an article in the May edition of BRM :read:

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

13 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

It's all the fault of the man they call 'York'. He's threatening to point his camera at the layout during the show. York at Grantham in Doncaster. Confused? You will be after this next episode of ...

All being well, should be an article in the May edition of BRM :read:

I do hope that Grantham has a long term future now it is being replaced in your Chapel by the west coast route.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

It definitely deserves a secure future.  I still can't quite believe that one of the finest layouts I've seen was only ever an interim project...

No Red Leader  is a true LMR man - Duchesses are the best express locomotive to ever run in Britain.

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1