The human side of the railway...

Photo taken at Sheringham 12 May 18. Very friendly lococrew on 90775, Lewis,Fozzie and Ralph. Invited me onto their footplate brought back happy memories and a very long time since I was last on any kind of Austerity.

post-18867-0-72762900-1526666465.jpg

• Like 5

Just look at the state of the class25,s at Euston they look as if they are held together by rust bet they were on there last legs and the wind probably whisteled through every crack!

I was a passenger on the tour,  the Mersey Rat-catcher" still have the commemorative ticket,  " There is many a good tune played on an old fiddle"  the express train speeds  of those two rusty old 25 's bucking and rolling down to Euston would have put an 85  to shame

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Outranked by King Zog of Albania, a member of his country's footplatemen's union and the only King to have every been a member of one, fully trained and route signed to drive the 'Orient Express', which he frequently did in the 1930s.

• Like 3

I didn't know the modern 3rd-rail railway used a stud contact system...

Nah it's NR's patent "we can't be relied on to install & stress CWT properly" system ................... belongs in the same place as painting rails white IMHO ..................

There is now a sleeper (the exact designation escapes me atm) that permits extra rails to be installed in the 4ft to do the same job - a much neater solution

• Like 1

Nah it's NR's patent "we can't be relied on to install & stress CWT properly" system ................... belongs in the same place as painting rails white IMHO ..................

There is now a sleeper (the exact designation escapes me atm) that permits extra rails to be installed in the 4ft to do the same job - a much neater solution

"If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't paint it white"...

Yep, fully agree. I recall a TV play in the 1970s/1980s which focused on a royal visit to a colliery in Yorkshire when he apprentices had to paint the slag heap white before the visit - hilarious...!the Queen thinks everything smells of new paint....!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yep, fully agree. I recall a TV play in the 1970s/1980s which focused on a royal visit to a colliery in Yorkshire when he apprentices had to paint the slag heap white before the visit - hilarious...!the Queen thinks everything smells of new paint....!!

Ken Loaches, the price of coal

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Royal train working about to depart Craigentinney for the short run up to Waverley in preparation to take the Queen from Edinburgh to Glasgow Queen Street.  If I recall this took place sometime during 1981. The train was formed using a specially prepared push pull set hauled by 47711.  The loco was manned by an Eastfield driver and traction inspector, sadly after all those years I don't recall their names other than the traction inspectors name was Willie.

post-7619-0-27396300-1527489999_thumb.jpg

Edited by 64B
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

In August 1981 BR ran a couple of Sunday specials from Edinburgh to Oban using Deltic 55021. This photo was taken on Sunday 9th August.   On the way to Oban, the train picked up an Eastfield driver at Springburn to act as conductor to the Haymarket crew from Springburn to Oban.  The Eastfield driver (in the driver's seat) on that occasion ended up driving the deltic from Glasgow to Oban and return. It was such a lovely day all the passengers enjoyed their trip to Oban and all for 5 pounds per person. I was also lucky enough to get to travel on the loco on both occasions.

post-7619-0-33389500-1527491164_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

The "human interest" is the Evening Standard, left on the seat of this Bakerloo-line tube. This 1972 Tube Stock is the only type left now to offer transverse seating bays. 

attachicon.gifP1190301.JPG

72TS is the only deep level tube stock with transverse seating bays but if you include the SSL then most* of the S8 stock on the Met has it (*all except one unit iirc).

Neasden, 1942...

attachicon.gifFB NEASDEN 1942.jpg

Angel Islington, 1968...

attachicon.gifFB Angel Islington 1968.jpg

Coalville Driver Freddie Miller, photo by Steve Marks...

attachicon.gifFB Freddie Miller photo by Steve Marks.jpg

One for the exhibition rivet-counters: Class 47, two-tone green with full yellow ends, freshly renumbered into TOPS with full data panel - a hand painted shed allocation (?) - and someone's nicked the works plate...

Edited by talisman56
  • Like 1

post-7638-0-24223300-1528192797.jpg

A bit earlier than 1970...!

post-7638-0-99565800-1528192846_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-41344300-1528192941.jpg

Harrow & Wealdstone...

post-7638-0-45036900-1528193016.jpg

Barmouth in the mid '70s, photo by Mat Wilson...

post-7638-0-88510900-1528193175.jpg

Italian actress Monica Vitti at Edinburgh Waverley in 1968...

post-7638-0-40350600-1528193253_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Italian actress Monica Vitti at Edinburgh Waverley in 1968...

attachicon.gifFB Monica Vitti La Ragazza Con La Pistola 1968 EDWAV.jpg

Ahhhh. Monica.

A film worth watching just for Monica alone, never mind the railways, the cars and 1960's the British locations. (Despite them reversing Tyneside)

post-508-0-35362700-1528199449_thumb.jpg

• Like 4