The human side of the railway...

• RMweb Gold

I can't think why the doors would need replacing but that's how it looks

I did wonder if they had been used but can't think how they would pick up so much dirt when open

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it's been through the washer?If there are top and side brushes, the doors would be one of the few bits the brushes wouldn't reach?

Most wash plants I've been through the brushes only really do the sides ,they certainly don't wash the headcode boxes

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if it was either someone messing about or a cleaning job that didn't get finished.

It may have been that the hinges were stiff and oiled then the doors were opened but they didn't get cleaned and were closed then the loco was needed in traffic

Also looks like the Green nuts were used on the bottom hinges and the Yellow nuts used on the top hinges to me, so that looks to me that they have been off or replaced.  :scratchhead:  :dontknow:  This Female passenger was fast asleep while waiting for the next train from Barmouth to arrive. The Smiths wrote a song about Barmouth called ...'Everyday is like Sunday'  :blum:   :mosking:  

post-31611-0-43288400-1534148299_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

We've had drivers, guards, etc. but I think this is a first.

Let me introduce Mobeen, a Suicide Prevention Officer.

post-6880-0-16262300-1534369144.jpg

I caught up with him at the south end of the WCML last week. He was very keen that I promote what they are doing to help

reduce suicides on the railway.

He actively encouraged me to post on here (so this image has his permission), as many are unaware of the important role they do.

He was also a really nice chap.

• Like 14

Padd, March 1960...

post-7638-0-91474800-1534675586_thumb.jpg

Great Malvern, 31st August 1973, photo c/o Rob Thomas...

post-7638-0-02336000-1534675677_thumb.jpg

Kings X c.1967, photo c/o Davina Leighton...

post-7638-0-68674900-1534675758.jpg

Manchester Picc, date unknown...

post-7638-0-73372200-1534675857_thumb.jpg

New Street, 28th August 1983, photo c/o Paul Donahue...

post-7638-0-85211500-1534675915.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There's something about the subtle quality of the colour in these old pictures, that digital just doesn't always capture. In particular the Manchester station above.

Completely agree Peter.  For all its benefits, with the default camera settings, digital rarely produces the same 'filmic' tones straight out of the camera.  That's the subtlety and magic of different film emulsions.

Tunnel-walking is an eerie experience, especially when you have been told the line is blocked - and it isn't! My search for a broken rail in Chislehurst South Tunnel in 1977 in the morning peak was not helped by a failure to agree between London Bridge and Chislehurst panels....

In the '70s, the nearly two-mile tunnel between Higham and Strood - formerly the canal route - was patrolled continuously by men who really did not see daylight for most of their shift. There was a short gap near the mid-point, which helped a bit, no doubt. I know in Winter the tunnel was perishing cold. The chalk lining of the tunnel was always dodgy, hence the precaution. I think recent years have seen major efforts to improve the lining.

The Tunnels were closed for a year for  a major civil engineering project to sort out the collapsing roof, after which thye line sped was raised

• 2 weeks later...