Looking for a real location for a 1929/30 GWR model...

vonmarshall

Hi all

I wonder if you may be able to help.

I am in the planning stage for my model and am looking for ideas on real locations that may fit my requirements.

I want to build a layout running trains from the 1929-30 period on the GWR. I love this period becasue the Castles ruled the rails and the train formations were fascinating including the Cornish Riviera which used the 8-car articulated coaches and the newer 60' coaches for 1930, the Oceans Mails specials, the Torquay Pullman and the many Ocean Liner specials. On top of this it is still viable to see coaches in full lined livery alongsde the newer sleeker look and the range of coaches available to be modelled and accurately used include the Dreadnoughts, Concertinas and if one pushes the time period to 1931 it is also possible to parade some Super Saloons.

The primary purpose for my layout is to "watch the trains go by" but I would like to have a small station for the odd local stopping service or some goods activity.

So my question is, does anybody know of a smallish station that sat on the mainlines and that would have seen the main express trains of their day hurtle through on their way to Plymouth or Torquay?

I appreciate any ideas.

many thanks

Noel

Hele and Bradninch Station, Devon? All the Plymouth and Torbay traffic would have passed through this relatively compact station.

An original Bristol and Exeter Railway station with shortish platforms, level crossing and adjacent pub, signal box , goods shed and a small selection of shortish sidings.

The only problem might the siding(s) leading to the paper mill but the mill could be "moved" closer to the station to form an impressive (low relief?) backdrop as one possible "solution".

The 1937 signalling diagram http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/html/gwe/S824.htm gives a good idea of the track layout and does not vary massively from the 1906 map on www.old-maps.co.uk

As your stated time preference is circa 1930, you can ignore the (WW2?) 1943 addition of passing loops beyond the station, which only add (unwanted?) length.

One of the original station buildings still stands(listed building?) and the goods shed seems to be in use as a garage nowadays (Google Streetview)

• RMweb Premium

How about Exeter St Thomas? You can't get much smaller than that for length and width, you just need a bit more height as it's on a viaduct. The only thing missing from the original is the overal roof, I'm not sure when that went. All the Torbay and Plymouth traffic passed through there, so plenty of trains to watch passing by.

Cheers SS

How about Uffington or Challow, then you'd be able to get Adrian Vaughans "signalmans" books which has photo's, descriptions and an Idea of how they worked (admittedly post war)

Thanks Q... I had been focusing on stations probably beyond Exeter but you have given me food for thought.

Dawlish

The sea wall is my favourite stretch of railway, but unless I am much mistaken, the Plymouth trains and took a different route didn't they? Also, did the Cornish Riviera travel along there or stay further inland?

Whilst my research has focused on locos and coaching stoick so far, I am a bit light on the actual routes these expresses took. On that note does anybody have a book they recommend that can clear some of the routes up for me?

I have a feeling I will end up doing Dawlish or somewhere like that in the end and just use artistic licence to allow the odd torquay train through.

All of these are beyond Torquay so the Pullman would not have got there. I guess I could add some Pullmans to a "Ocean Special" and ditch the full Pullman idea, but I am loathed to at this moment.

Hele and Bradninch Station, Devon? All the Plymouth and Torbay traffic would have passed through this relatively compact station.

An original Bristol and Exeter Railway station with shortish platforms, level crossing and adjacent pub, signal box , goods shed and a small selection of shortish sidings.

Now that is a very interesting idea. I will have a further look at that. Many thanks.

What scale?

This will be in O. I have just moved into a new house which has a decent sized garden so my plan is to build a dedicated railway shed for the station and storage and then a run-around out into the garden. I can theoretically build the shed to any reasonable size so at this moment I have an awful lot of flexibility.

This is the start of a 10 year project! I think it will be a while before familly comitments allow me to really get stuck in to the heavy lifting so I am doing as much planning as possible.

I have been dreaming of recreatring Bath station but now I have moved in I realise just how massively overambitious that is for both my wallet and my skills. As far as I am aware, neither the Plymouth nor the Torquay trains went via Bath but it is such a wonderful station with the sweepeing curve and the through lines surrounded by the river, that I was tempted to do it anyway.

Now I can actually start to visualise the real site, I am getting realistic, hence the desire for a smaller station.

How about Exeter St Thomas? You can't get much smaller than that for length and width, you just need a bit more height as it's on a viaduct. The only thing missing from the original is the overal roof, I'm not sure when that went. All the Torbay and Plymouth traffic passed through there, so plenty of trains to watch passing by.

Cheers SS

Actually that may well make a very interesting option. Beacuuse most of the railway will be in the garden, I am tempted to go for a more urban look inside. No need to do somehting too rural when I can get my fix of Castles pulling rakes of Brown & Cream through the grass for real.

Im surprised no one has mentioned Starcross so far..... The station has always struck me as being particularly modellable, especially if you want a "watch the trains go by" sort of layout...

Is Starcross good for Torquay traffic but not relevant for Plymouth?

Starcross is good for both Torquay and Plymouth traffic......Its on the mainline from Exeter to Newton Abbot, near the very familiar photgraphy location of Cockwood Harbour

So if Starcross is good, then so is Dawlsish and the sea-wall. I don't know why but I had it in my head that the Plymouth trains travelled further inland.

This is great news

Before I discount Bath Spa completely, can anybody confirm that the Plymouth and/or the Torquay trains did not travel this way. Every time I look at this track plan I think it is perfect... http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/battrk.png

• RMweb Premium

So if Starcross is good, then so is Dawlsish and the sea-wall. I don't know why but I had it in my head that the Plymouth trains travelled further inland.

This is great news

Before I discount Bath Spa completely, can anybody confirm that the Plymouth and/or the Torquay trains did not travel this way. Every time I look at this track plan I think it is perfect... http://www.greatwest...g.uk/battrk.png

As Mickey has said Plymouth and Torquay trains did use the main line through Starcross and Dawlish. The route you had in mind is either the SR route via Okehampton or the GWR branch line from Newton Abbot to Exeter via Heathfield.

Some Plymouth / Torquay trains would have come via Bath but many would have gone via Westbury on the B & H line. If you want to get all of the express GWR trains that went to Plymouth / Torquay you need to be looking at stations between Taunton and Newton Abbot.

How about Uffington or Challow, then you'd be able to get Adrian Vaughans "signalmans" books which has photo's, descriptions and an Idea of how they worked (admittedly post war)

The Q

Wrong line for Torquay Pullman CRE etc. They went down the direct Berks and Hants unless there was a diversion.

Any of the smaller stations of the B&H would work, Pewsey, Brewham.

Recommend reading the Middleton Press books including Newbury to Westbury, Westbury - Taunton, Exeter to Newton Abbot, where for a modest price, you get a photo survey of the line and all the stations including track plans in many cases. I found them essential when building my Westbury area based layout (running the same trains as you list)

https://www.middleto...n-lines/?page=2

Mike Wiltshire

Edit. If you click on a particluar book it lists all the stations covered in each.

MW

If you want to get all of the express GWR trains that went to Plymouth / Torquay you need to be looking at stations between Taunton and Newton Abbot.

That is just the definitive answer I needed. Many thanks. I think I will go and use google earth to run along that stretch and see what catches my eye!

Check out the Railways of South Devon ( special interests ) there are some great ariel shots of along the sea wall.

This is my favorite section of railway too, I did a model of this in OO a few years ago. I now model in O so I will be watching with interest it sounds like an amazing project. Please share some pics of your locos.

I was going to suggest Exeter St Thomas or Starcross. You could do Cockwood Harbour on the garden section.

If you do fancy this section then Colin J Marsdens book The Railways around Dawlish is a good one and theres a whole section on the sea wall on The Railway Centre Web site.

Best Of Luck with your project.

• 4 weeks later...

So my question is, does anybody know of a smallish station that sat on the mainlines and that would have seen the main express trains of their day hurtle through on their way to Plymouth or Torquay?

Well I have drifted a little since I first asked this question and am potentially going to bite off a lot more than I chew, but I have developed a real fascination with Bath Spa station. I also have a large overgrown end to my garden that I have clearance to take over and I could apparently get a 30' shed up there without planning permission, so I think i may just be able to fit it in.

There is something about the elegant curve, interesting trackwork and the bridges at each end that is just begging to be modelled IMHO. I would simplify it a bit, taking off some of the goods tracks to the left but other than that would hope to capture the essence of it.

Link to image - http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/battrk.png

I believe that by 1929 the mainline expresses did not normally travel via bath (please correct me if I am wrong) but I also believe that it is possible that on some occasions if there were disruptions on the newer line to Bristol, the expresses would have been diverted this way.

I would like to start to really research how Bath worked. How were the middle roads were used and what sort of loco facilities were there. Can anybody recommend websites / books / magazines that can help me learn more?

Many thanks

Noel

• RMweb Gold

The middle roads at Bath were basically sidings lying within what amounted to a very extended trailing crossover, at one time a typical feature of many medium-larger GWR stations - I think the last one to go was the Relief Lines Middle Siding at Reading which just about made the 1990s although most went during the 1950s, e.g. Slough. Some West of England trains ran via Bath as of course did most Bristol line trains and trains on the Cardiff-Portsmouth route (including SR locos and stock) plus freight traffic especially coal between South Wales and the Salisbury/Eastleigh area. So quite a good variety of traffic and teh signalbox on top of the platform canopy would make an interesting feature - it was the last of that arrangement to survive on the Western.

Starcross on the other is a much simpler station altogether and is country/seaside (in a way) scenery instead of townscape. Very busy passenger train service on Summer Saturdays with almost entirely GW locos but the occasional Southern loco on route refreshing (for diversion) and LNER and LMS passenger stock to be seen as well. Some freight too of course.

• 1 year later...

If you like single track and the sea how about Britannia Halt on the Kingswear branch?  Or if you like sidings Goodrington Sands and the carriage sidings?  Both good for 460s on expresses and small branch lines.

Souwest

If you like single track and the sea how about Britannia Halt on the Kingswear branch?  Or if you like sidings Goodrington Sands and the carriage sidings?  Both good for 460s on expresses and small branch lines.

Souwest

Neither of those is much good for Plymouth traffic which I think the OP wanted.

Did you decide on a location after?

Perhaps we will never know as the OP hasn't been on RMWeb since August last year.

• 1 month later...

Neither of those is much good for Plymouth traffic which I think the OP wanted.

Perhaps we will never know as the OP hasn't been on RMWeb since August last year.

Been distracted by familly and work commitments. And some gardening.... which has led me to spend most of my time looking at how to build a garden railway so I have dropped prototype plans at the moment.

If I can work out how to get a large shed in, I think the Kingswear option may be perfect as a terminus with a loop into the garden. It is not perfect for Plymouth but it is such a wonderful and interesting station that I keep coming back to it.

• 1 month later...

1929-1930

Another suggestion - Box, Wiltshire
- Plenty of material for research.
- Road Bridge at one end
- Middlehill Tunnel the other
- The whole to OO scale fits in 16ft.
- land rises for backdrop
- and falls away for view point

Still plenty of Bath Stone Traffic at that time..

Noel

If you do decide to go for Bath then let me know, I'd be happy to share the results of my research with you.  I think it would be well suited to a garden railway, being all on a raised viaduct.  Unfortunately not the usual Plymouth traffic though.  You do get some other interesting expresses though.  Also, as it is on the running in route from Swindon you do have licence to run practically any locos - there's a very high chance that there's a photo of it going through Bath somewhere!

Archived