Kernow Model Rail Centre - OO Gauge Scenecraft Derelict Cornish Engine House

Andy Y

That's a great example Scott. One thing to note ( which I mentioned quite early on in this thread ) is the thickness of the bob wall compared to the left-hand wall.

I also think it's a matter of perspective. Many remaining engine houses are relatively remote from other buildings, so when viewed from ground level have nothing nearby for comparison and thus seem very big. The chimneys are also very tall.

When the model is viewed from our normal birds-eye perspective, they become compressed into the landscape, rather than being seen against the sky.

There are two faults with the model that I can see.

1. The bob wall is not thick enough for the size of the engine house.

2. The chimney stack is completely constructed of granite. Roughly the upper third (but sometimes less) of the stack should be brick.

These would both be pretty easy to correct. Use stone wall textured sheets to extend the thickness of the bob wall internally, and cut the chimney stack off just above the point where it exceeds the height of the engine house (the side wall, not the gable apex) and glue on an appopriate length and diameter brick chimney.

While you're there you could even add a few extra little details, such as the cast iron bob loadings, cylinder bolts, and the crumbled walls of the condenser cistern or the boiler house.

• RMweb Premium

The model has a bob wall 8.5mm thick.  The three other walls are 5.5mm thick.  

While most chimneys were indeed brick for the upper courses (the exact proportion of which to stone varied) not all were.  Some were stone to the top:

3,Trewavas-Head-Mines,IMG_1414_110607.jpg near St. Agnes

644-F.jpg near Porthleven

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tommytrevorrow/8909156755/in/pool-tinmines/ near Germoe

Note three different styles at the Geevor complex http://www.flickr.com/photos/13481191@N06/9108997858/in/pool-tinmines/

And at Levant next door to Geevor in the Pendeen mining district http://www.flickr.com/photos/sean01274/8570441856/in/pool-tinmines/

Others had the appearance of stone to the top as at Polladras  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33847785@N00/9248880314/in/pool-653375@N20/lightbox/

What is missing from the Kernow model is any form of decoration or structural support on the stack - many had some form of thicker ring where stone met brick and / or near the very top.  Kernow's model has the very top missing so we might argue that it was originally all stone or the brick courses have not survived.

• RMweb Premium

Another engine house arrived this week.  As this one is to be cut up (see layout thread) I took the opportunity to see how easy it might be to represent a brick top to the stack.  The answer is very easy.  Some brick-print card was steamed to allow it to be curved around into a tight conical shape before trimming.  It was then glued above the stonework which in this case has been cut down to the height shown.  A single course of stone-print card has been used around the join as seen on many mines in reality.  

DSCN0097-M.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I don't normally comment on "ticks" but a "Craftsmanship / Clever" from one of the masters of scenic creation, Stubby47, is worthy of my own vote of thanks in return.  I tip's me 'at to you Sir.

• 2 weeks later...

A few corrections:

Levant has a cut down stack of what was originally the standard, two third granite one third brick construction. The engine house you linked to near Germoe - Wheal Grey - was actually a china clay works and also had a brick topped chimney, they are simply grey bricks.

Also:

What is missing from the Kernow model is any form of decoration or structural support on the stack - many had some form of thicker ring where stone met brick and / or near the very top.  Kernow's model has the very top missing so we might argue that it was originally all stone or the brick courses have not survived.

This is not "missing" as such; not every Cornish chimney had this feature, known as a "cornice". Sometimes the cornice was even constructed from brick rather than granite. Your mentioning of "structural support" is baffling, the chimney is a self supporting structure and decorative cornices were just that, decorative, and served no structural function. The iron bands we see on chimneys today were all a later addition due to the failure of the mortar pointing where storms had eroded it, causing bulging. A good Cornish chimney, whose masonry is well maintained, could easily stand for decades without the need for iron banding. Indeed, iron banding has often failed and fallen off of chimneys that have then stood for decades after without their support and no ill effects. A testament to their builders.

Also, no, we might not argue that the brick courses have not survived, because the height and width of the chimney do not indicate this. A chimney such as this can have only one possible permutation, and that is that of an all-granite construction. Chimneys that have lost their brick uppermost courses will appear wider at the top and less severely tapered. For this chimney to have a brick upper section, it's final width would be untenably narrow. Your assumptions and speculations in this regard run contrary to the reasoning behind the use of brick being to achieve a greater final height without sacrificing flue diameter, as brick walls could be constructed thinner than granite. Remaining with the facts will be of greater use to model makers than going on mere speculation - there is right and there is wrong, there is no "artistic license" to be had here.

This is industrial engineering, the realm of truth, the last bastion of physical honesty.

Edited by Stoker

Guest 34008Padstow

Went for a wander down to Dolcoath Mine this afternoon for research purposes. I also have a few internal shots if anyones intrested.

post-6777-0-81174300-1382390320.jpeg

Guest 34008Padstow

As promised here is a selection of pictures from my visit to Dolcoath Mine yesterday.

post-6777-0-56302900-1382455588.jpeg

post-6777-0-96191900-1382455620.jpeg

post-6777-0-95458200-1382455645.jpeg

post-6777-0-12371800-1382455681.jpeg

post-6777-0-07284900-1382455713.jpeg

post-6777-0-54759200-1382455743.jpeg

post-6777-0-01863000-1382455806.jpeg

post-6777-0-76849800-1382455888.jpeg

post-6777-0-98263400-1382456627.jpeg

post-6777-0-33281400-1382456813.jpeg

post-6777-0-30610600-1382456891.jpeg

post-6777-0-16361700-1382457014.jpeg

Edited by 34008Padstow

• 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...

I Just happened to see one of these on Kernow's website so ordered it which came yesterday. I have always been fascinated by these but have been put off modelling one because of the cylindrical tapered chimney. 

The model is about the right size for my Welsh slate quarry (although possibly not quite the right colour) but will save me building one from scratch.

I am considering using the model as a basis of a working pumping house so have started drawing up a beam using a 3d CAD package. Other parts like the roof will probably be fabricated from Wills Material.

However, does anyone know where the boiler house would be located in relation to the chimney, as the only one I have seen (in North Wales) does not have a chimney incorporated into the engine house.(see http://www.penmorfa.com/Slate/beamengine.html)

My current guess would be a lean-too structure along the side of the house next to the chimney possibly at a lower level?

Edited by 81E