Kernow Model Rail Centre - OO Gauge Scenecraft Derelict Cornish Engine House

Andy Y

Kernow Model Rail Centre Press Release - OO Gauge Scenecraft Derelict Cornish Engine House

44-058Za.jpg

We have commissioned Bachmann to produce as and exclusive model in the OO Gauge Scenecraft range a Derelict Cornish Engine House. With an approximate size of 66mm (l) x 56mm (w) x 150mm (h) this should find a home on most Cornish-themed layouts! The price of these models will be £27.99 which is valid for pre-orders only. Once the models are delivered to us the price will rise to £29.99 for all new orders and this item will be sent post free to UK addresses only.

Expected during the Summer of 2013 further details are available on the direct product link to our website: -

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/38803/44058Z_Bachmann_Scenecraft_Derelict_Cornish_Engine_House

44-058zb.jpg

44-058zc.jpg

44-058zd.jpg

44-059ze.jpg

44-059zf.jpg

44-059zg.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I have thought for some time it was a matter of "when" and not"if" .....

Styles of construction varied and while some engine houses had brick chimneys or brick courses within the stonework this appears to be a very good representation of a typically (but not uniquely) Cornish structure.

Home for three here; two for the layout and one as a decorative piece in the lounge alongside various pieces of Cornish ephemera.

After spending a week with an unhealthy obsession travelling around photographing most of them, I have ordered 2, may even have another!

Simon

Out of interest Simon how many are left..?

Lovely looking model, makes want to replicate this scene of 805 'Benbow' passing Scorrier...!

post-7638-0-37298200-1349605812_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Out of interest Simon how many are left..?

I have heard or read there is somewhere in the region of 200. Thanks to OS maps i managed to locate a great deal of them, its interesting the many variations between them, especially the chimneys

Simon

• Like 1

I have heard or read there is somewhere in the region of 200. Thanks to OS maps i managed to locate a great deal of them, its interesting the many variations between them, especially the chimneys

Simon

Atkinson, B, (1988) Mining Sites in Cornwall and South West Devon. Redruth: Dyllansow Truran

Atkinson, B, (1994) Mining Sites in Cornwall Volume 2. Redruth: Dyllansow Truran

Both of these give sites with extant remains.

Dines, H.G. (1956) The Metalliferous Mining Region of South West England. (2 volumes) London; HMSO.

Gives sites with statistical records and the geology.

Burt, R, Waite, P, Burnley, R. (1987) Cornish Mines. Exeter: University of Exeter Press

Burt, R, Waite, P, Burnley, R. (1984) Devon and Somerset Mines. Exeter: University of Exeter Press

Gives all the statistics 1845-1913 and gives the grid reference of all sites. However I have found this last needs to be checked as one site goven is about ten miles out at sea!

• Like 1

It's cost me dear too Mickey - my original copy (the one in the pic) is falling to bits so I promptly went out and bought another....! Not to mention all the other Hydraulic 'educational pamphlets' it lead to since buying it back in 1974...!

• RMweb Gold

Oh how I wish Kernow were based in East Anglia instead of Cornwall!

Think of those J15, D16, Wickham railcars, proper EA buildings we would have had by now....

Not to mention the odd Toby or J69....

getting my coat on....

Kernow's Business Model will not have escaped the notice of those in the trade, I'm sure. All the time they seem to be succeeding, it becomes more likely others will follow suit. Some of their products are by no means cheap, yet apparently sell in adequate quantities, even in these straitened times, to encourage them to commission more. It helps, though, that Cornwall has so many locally-defined structures, vehicles - and even locos - in a quite small county. I hope others will indeed take the plunge.
  • Like 7

To succeed in Cornwall you need to be creative in business and Chris and his team have achieved by taking some business risks which have paid off. Kernow products may not always the cheapest however the service is always first class.

I have been wanting a good model of an Cornish engine house for many a year and I also think this model could be of interest to people that are not railway modellers - possibly tourists?

XF

• Like 2

I class myself as a "bargain hunter" (some people call me a tight {rear end}) but after seeing a weathered 22 on the Kernow stand at Plymouth MRS one very quickly found its way into my rucksack at full retail price!

Thinking about it the last thing before that which was purchased at full retail value was a Beattie well tank from Kernow!

Damn you Kernow I keep breaking my own number 1 rule "do not pay full price for anything" and you are costing me a fortune.

I class myself as a "bargain hunter" (some people call me a tight {rear end}) but after seeing a weathered 22 on the Kernow stand at Plymouth MRS one very quickly found its way into my rucksack at full retail price!

Thinking about it the last thing before that which was purchased at full retail value was a Beattie well tank from Kernow!

Damn you Kernow I keep breaking my own number 1 rule "do not pay full price for anything" and you are costing me a fortune.

And me I purchased 2 of the Beattie Well tanks too!- Chris is a bad man :jester:

XF

• RMweb Premium

Bigger layout than some here - things seem to come in threes ;)

Three well tanks; three weathered 22s; three weathered 52s coming; three engine houses coming; three clay dries? ... two sheds and a chimney so three pieces.

Blimey Gwiwer, I thought I was weak! :locomotive:

They are simply stunning models though, now whats the betting that an O2 (whatever that is) finds its way into the chest of drawers* as well!

* No layout yet except for the 6x4 under the kids bed although that £100 thread has sown some seeds.

• RMweb Premium

O2 (x2) and gate set are on order here but for the next layout not the present one. It's not so much weakness as having the luxury of a large spae and a layout to match which will accommodate multiple structures and a goodly number of trains.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the engine house is derelict enough... I also agree about the beam ( or bob) wall not being thick enough.

Is it known which prototype this is based on ? The stonework also appears too regular, examination of actual houses shows a wide variety in size, shape and quality of the stones used, the main wall usually being much better built, the three remaining walls of far cheaper construction.

• 5 months later...

What appeared to be an N Gauge version in amongst n gauge buildings at BRM London this weekend. I was told that they measured one in Redruth and it will be our this year. Not in catalogue or on website so a little odd but this did come from Mr Hubbard so must be correct.