• RMweb Gold

Heading into Victoria tomorrow for a couple of meetings. Luckily there is a model shop in town, so if the prices aren’t too extravegant I may be able to get some track for the boards.

In the meantime, I’ve pretty much done my bit of the E2 2-4-0, and the test body shell is ready to send to Chris p. bacon (Dave) so he can work out the chassis. I’ve told him to feel free to chop it up if he has to so I know where to make changes.

This part took about 4 hours, and the smoke box door, chimney and safety valve takes about 25 minutes. I know Phil said in the BRM front article that the prints take forever, but it’s not like you have to sit there while the printer is working. The good thing is that I can just set it off and forget about it until I hear the build plate winding back up to the top of the cabinet.

About 1/2 of this model seems to be the supports. This picture shows the model straight after I took it out of the printer,

post-14192-0-51340300-1547011704_thumb.jpeg

Here, the supports have been removed, but the little nibs haven’t been sanded back. I’ve manages to keep the supports out of the splashers as there is very little room in there, and it’d be very difficult trying to smooth back the nibs in a v confined space.

post-14192-0-27533300-1547011729_thumb.jpeg

post-14192-0-82664900-1547012308_thumb.jpeg

Onwards and upwards.

Quick one, I read the other day about using moving blanket material underneath the track as an alternative, or as well as, cork to keep the noise down. What do you think? Crazy idea, but it might just work, or if I give it a go, I might be heading for a fall?

Cheers

Jason

Edited by JCL
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I wonder just how much noise two trains running at once will actually generate. And let’s face it here, real trains are noisy beasts that make the fen soil shake. So maybe you should use jelly as a baseboard covering and ballast on top of that?

When I was a nipper we had a Railway all round the largest room in the house, and the track was laid and ballasted directly to the chipboard top. The was no noise transferred downstairs, and no booming in the room.

Andy g

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well that’s the first one done - all of the bits I don’t need (I think) have come off or have been cut back. Those lights above the doors were interesting.

post-14192-0-50512600-1547422171_thumb.jpeg

I was going to say ‘Number two this evening’ and then remembered Dave reads this...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not knowing much about this sort of ER muck, but are these another set of carriages that really ought to have the brake van cut off and rebuilt narrower than the main body width?

Presumably there was a reason why all the brake ends were narrower?

You've done well with those toplights, and it makes such a difference.

Andy G

I found there's a fair amount of work involved in narrowing the brake end, but it can be done. In addition to neat straight cuts with a razor saw to divide the side (probably at the right edge of the luggage doors) and to split it from the roof, it then has to be separated from the inner bulkhead at the end of the coach. That bulkhead then needs to be narrowed down, and the top edge of the underframe unit needs to be rebated where the brake end is to be inset. A stepped joint with some sort of backing pieces to add strength is needed where the two parts of the side are reunited, and it may need to include a strip of 5 or 10 thou plastic to restore the length lost in the saw cut, as may the joint under the gutter at the top of the refitted side piece. The outer coach end will then have to be filed carefully to the new width and have any necessary new beading added...

Edited by gr.king
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Certainly will Graeme, thanks for putting it up  :) . Mike's been kind enough to re-send me the link to the original photo of the vehicle that I'm aiming for (whilst remembering I'm going for 'the flavour of')

The photo is on this page, which is one of the worst programmed pages I've seen on the internet, luckily, I'm allowed to upload the photo here as long as I put the © notice up underneath. https://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co423003/doncaster-works-collection-of-photographs-collection-of-photographs .

post-14192-0-79117100-1547593905_thumb.jpg

GNR Composite Twin Brake No.4911 and 4912, 16th July 1919

Science Museum Group Collection

© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

If you click on the link, unfortunately you can't use the search bar to find the larger photo, but it's about 3/4 of the way through the list.

cheers

Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That’s true. It’s a shame that it all seems so disorganised. Good photos though. Another push tonight, so I’ll put some more photos up later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Getting there with the coaches and I’ve started doing the windows. I think I’m going to have to file down the tweezers to get the middle strut in.

post-14192-0-13318300-1548641583_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8

• 6 months later...