The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

How's Trisonic ?

Ceptic

If his situation is similar to my colleages (also in the New Jersey / eastern Pennsylvania area) he will already be experiencing downed trees playing harry with power lines, resulting in intermittent power.

Winds are dangerous and the volume of rain is huge. There is already a lot of coastal innundation at the shore with the storm surge and high tides.

The eye of the hurricane (hopefully down-graded to a tropical storm) is expected to cross the New Jersey shore around Atlantic City at 8:00pm EDT (midnight GMT?) tonight.

If his situation is similar to my colleages (also in the New Jersey / eastern Pennsylvania area) he will already be experiencing downed trees playing harry with power lines, resulting in intermittent power.

Winds are dangerous and the volume of rain is huge. There is already a lot of coastal innundation at the shore with the storm surge and high tides.

The eye of the hurricane (hopefully down-graded to a tropical storm) is expected to cross the New Jersey shore around Atlantic City at 8:00pm EDT (midnight GMT?) tonight.

Thanks for your up-date Ozexpatriate.

My thoughts, and best wishes (including Thanksgiving), are with you, all.

Plenty of power supply disruption I'll wager!

As of 4:14pm EDT (about an hour ago) ...

from CNN:

'the number of customers without power because of Hurricane Sandy [is] more than 765,000 in seven states ... with New York and New Jersey being the most affected states with more than 220,000 outages each.'

One of the tradegies of this storm is the loss of the replica HMS Bounty at sea, off the coast of North Carolina. Two crew members are missing.

As of 7:13 pm EDT ... More than 2.2 million customers are without power in 11 states and the District of Columbia.

• RMweb Premium

Such news reports as are reaching us are not encouraging. I have several friends (including Pete / Trisonic) in the affected area and have heard from none in the past 12 hours. I am assuming power is out.

All public transportation has ceased with New York subways being boarded, sandbagged and barricaded to prevent flooding. Staff are being asked to shelter at a work location rather than home to ensure they are on site and able to effect a quick return to service when possible.

Landfall is now expected within the next 2-3 hours. Already parts of Atlantic City are under water and there is local flooding throughout the region. Many trees are reported down.

Stay safe over there and come back to us when you can.

Hello everyone,

I've had a couple of pm's from Pete and I'm sure he won't mind me sharing.

Late on Sunday night (UK time) he said he was, "preparing for the worst and hoping for the best" and that I might not hear from him until late Tuesday.

However, it looks like Sandy is moving slightly slower than he thought then.

At 7:15am (UK time) I got another note saying, "the worst thing was sitting and waiting" and that "he'd taken anything likely to be a missile out of his garden. They had plenty of water, dry and canned foodstuffs, batteries, etc." and "he hoped to be back in touch on Wednesday" - after Sandy has blown through the eastern seaboard.

I guess that like me, all of us here on RMweb are thinking of our friends in the eastern U.S.A. sitting in the path of the storm, and especially keeping our fingers crossed for Pete and his family.

Hope they all stay safe and well.

I was chatting with a friend in Wilmington, DE an hour ago. She still had power and the weather wasn't too bad. However, Wilmington is (just) south of the track, and so is on the back side of the circulation. Areas north of the track are the ones getting hit the worst. We are getting rain and wind gusts (warnings for gusts to 90km/h) in the Toronto area, 800+km from the centre of the storm.

Adrian

Areas north of the track are the ones getting hit the worst. We are getting rain and wind gusts (warnings for gusts to 90km/h) in the Toronto area, 800+km from the centre of the storm.

2.8 million without power

Storm surge of 12.4' on Long Island, 12.75' at the Batttery in Manhattan (3' higher than Hurricane Donna in 1960)

All bridges and tunnels to Manhattan closed,

Reports of 4' flooding in the subway tunnels under the East River

Subway station flooding in Lower Manhattan

JFK and La Guardia airports closed due to "flooding"

Lower air pressures than the Long Island Express of 1938

Three feet of October snow in West Virginia

4.55" of rain in Atlantic City in one day, almost double the record single day total of 2.33"

NY State deaths at five, including a man killed inside a house by a falling tree

Manhattan really dodged a bullet with Irene last year. Sandy was not so kind. Two hurricanes in the NY metro in two years. This is most unusual.

Good evening folks,

It is a bit unpleasant in the New York area. The flooding seems to be worse than expected. I have no idea about Pete's location, but I would hope that he took all necessary precautions. At least with a hurricane you do get some warning.

Andy (in Queens, NYC)

• RMweb Premium

As it's been unfolding across the middle of our day I have had news feeds on continuously.

No word first-hand from anyone I know in the area other than a single blog post made from the tip of Long Island at 9am our time which I reckon is 6pm local US time.

Flooding is extensive and has breached some of the Subway protection - CCTV images exist of waters gushing through entrances and from which the only way is down to the tracks below. Road tunnels are under several feet of floodwater. Bridges are closed with unconfirmed reports of one having been severely damaged by "a floating house".

The financial district of NYC is under substantial volumes of floodwater which has prompted comments of "Another Wall Street bail-out" among those able to see the humorous side. Ground Zero has become a new lake.

The top of the tide has passed and water levels should be slowly falling but the danger is far from over. The storm - now downgraded to below hurricane strength and slowly abating - is affecting an unprecedented area of the North American continent.

Buildings have collapsed, fires have claimed more and a small number (as reported thus far) of lives has been lost though at least so far the number has ben perhaps far less than might have been anticipated.

Hang in there. This will pass and normality will be restored. It seems the US administration even has the power to alter the date of Hallowe'en at the stroke of a pen which somehow seems to be more of a concern than possibly altering the date of the election.

Archived