Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

Good morning Tony I built this a couple of years ago and featured it on my thread which was titled how to build her. My thread has been renamed Water Orton layout but the first few pages are about the kit.. I had followed your and others advice and built the tender first. My first point, don't rely on the kit instructions on how to adapt the tender to its later LMS / BR version. I used a number of photographs. The main work if I recall is reducing the tender sides,this in turn means the rear is now wrong in terms of detail . This was removed and the new details added in the correct place.post-23587-0-60454700-1495964227_thumb.jpegpost-23587-0-63954300-1495964364_thumb.jpeg I hop the attached photos are of use best wishes Brian..one last mention this is the only one of my locomotives that has a three link coupling....it has a converter wagon on standby should I wish to run a train behind it

post-23587-0-28135600-1495964170_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Just reread the tender rear casting will be wrong in terms of its height if I recall, which in turn makes the details on it out of kilter with the sides hence its removal. The lampirons were from mainly trains on a detail etch together with window guards for the tender Windows. The irons are too big for 4mm so needed careful reducing with my dremel....do we modellers have masochistic tendencies ?

• RMweb Premium

Tony, Andy Ross built a Big Bertha for use as a real banker on our the Club layout..Leeds Victoria. It certainly earned it's keep!

Baz

• Like 1

Good morning Tony I built this a couple of years ago and featured it on my thread which was titled how to build her. My thread has been renamed Water Orton layout but the first few pages are about the kit.. I had followed your and others advice and built the tender first. My first point, don't rely on the kit instructions on how to adapt the tender to its later LMS / BR version. I used a number of photographs. The main work if I recall is reducing the tender sides,this in turn means the rear is now wrong in terms of detail . This was removed and the new details added in the correct place.attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg I hop the attached photos are of use best wishes Brian..one last mention this is the only one of my locomotives that has a three link coupling....it has a converter wagon on standby should I wish to run a train behind it

Thanks Brian,

I'm in the process of modifying the tender 'cab'. It should be angular, not curved towards the top and the side beading should go around it at the rear. I'm making this from fusewire. I don't believe it's possible to model it entirely correctly with what's supplied. Not uncommon in many kits? 

Regards,

Tony. 

post-18225-0-93443300-1495988340_thumb.jpg

Anyone know where this is, please? 

The photo dates from the late-'50s/early-'60s when the loco was at Nuneaton, and has AWS. 

The 'box behind suggests ex-GWR, but where? I'd guess the West Midlands, but who knows? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 4

Just returned from a truly-splendid show - Railex in Aylesbury. My thanks to all at Risborough for putting on such a wonderful event. 

Everything was of the usual high standard and well-presented. 

Just one thing. Whenever I looked at one 4mm layout in the most-accurate gauge (three separate times), something derailed, fell off or had to be prodded. There was a much larger OO layout running far more trains where I didn't see this happen. I have no wish to restart the old 'argument', but if the running on my own 'crude' railway were as poor as what I saw today on a fine scale one, I would be very concerned. One other observer commented to me that it was a 'brilliant diorama', which it was. 

Other than that, if you missed Railex, you've missed one of the best shows so far this year. It's worth making a date for next year.  

Good afternoon Tony. I am sure you are aware that this kit is " of its Time" very good when first introduced by superceded by kits that combined whitemetal and brass for example the same firms A1. You may have Have come across the latter in your career...

The tender in this kit I'm sure if introduced now would be in brass giving the correct variation without the extra work. The loco brakes are interesting as well, being in white metal. It is though an imposing beast ...when complete . Best wishes Brian

Good afternoon Tony. I am sure you are aware that this kit is " of its Time" very good when first introduced by superceded by kits that combined whitemetal and brass for example the same firms A1. You may have Have come across the latter in your career...

The tender in this kit I'm sure if introduced now would be in brass giving the correct variation without the extra work. The loco brakes are interesting as well, being in white metal. It is though an imposing beast ...when complete . Best wishes Brian

Thanks Brian,

I know the kit is 'of its time' and, you're quite right, I have come across the DJH A1 - over 30 times!

Regarding the brakes, I might well substitute plastic ones (to remove the threat of short-circuits), or etched ones. 

As you know, the tender has outside (prototypical) bearings. I substituted a SE Finecast etched brass sub-frame. It required little in the way of alterations and you get the characteristic guard irons. 

All the best,

Tony.

P.S. I like your own BB. 

attachicon.gifcrab pic.jpg

Anyone know where this is, please? 

The photo dates from the late-'50s/early-'60s when the loco was at Nuneaton, and has AWS. 

The 'box behind suggests ex-GWR, but where? I'd guess the West Midlands, but who knows? 

Thanks in anticipation. 

A look at the relevant 'Quail' track maps suggests that the only chainage corresponding to that painted on the bridge parapet is to be found at Birmingham end of the viaducts to the south of Leamington Spa station, shown as Neilson Street viaduct. This has the chainage of 105.78 indicated, against the 105.79 shown in the photo.

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from a truly-splendid show - Railex in Aylesbury. My thanks to all at Risborough for putting on such a wonderful event. 

Just one thing. Whenever I looked at one 4mm layout in the most-accurate gauge (three separate times), something derailed, fell off or had to be prodded. There was a much larger OO layout running far more trains where I didn't see this happen. I have no wish to restart the old 'argument', but if the running on my own 'crude' railway were as poor as what I saw today on a fine scale one, I would be very concerned. One other observer commented to me that it was a 'brilliant diorama', which it was. 

Other than that, if you missed Railex, you've missed one of the best shows so far this year. It's worth making a date for next year.

I was there too today with a few other RMwebbers Tony. I know exactly which layout you refer to. Been in MRJ, beautifully finished and researched but the poor running really spoils it for me.

Star of the show for me in terms of overall appearance, faultless running and hands free operation was this little 7mm number. Would have been even better had the backscene support not been forgotten (been there, got the forgotten something T-shirt, so they have my sympathies).

post-6675-0-89892400-1495992332_thumb.jpg

post-6675-0-67207300-1495992349_thumb.jpg

Very sad to find out that this iconic layout appeared at its last show today.

post-6675-0-43037600-1495992405_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Thank you Tony....my friend RowanJ when looking for my thread typed in Brian does big Bertha ...I think he had to make three loco kits to get over the shock of what appeared on his screen! On a serious note a big thank you,it is because of modellers like you that I have even attempted kits like this.......been said many times , LB is an inspiration. Best wishes Brian

In the interests of balance, I did observe some rerailing going on in the fiddle yard of the large OO layout as a freight train parted from the rails near the end of its circuit.

I also thought it was an excellent show. Particularly enjoyed Westcliff but for me the stand out was 'Denton Brook' - the moving trucks, cranes, cargo, e the chap on the level crossing with the moving legs was wonderful to watch. Someone's posted a video on another thread which I thoroughly recommend.

David

Does anyone else have some golden oldies to show us, please?

Apologies for being a bit late to this request, Tony, but I thought these might be appropriate. Not my work, though I'd love to be able to scratchbuild to this standard, but the late John Edgson. I was lucky enough to be invited to visit Hitchin on Friday and took these while there. I'm sure you must have some better ones.

Hitchin_C1_3279_zpszvxqu9s5.jpg

Unique C1 with Walschaerts gear, 3279.

Hitchin_A1_4470_zpswuf8mlrd.jpg

Great Northern

Hitchin_P1_2394_zpsnkjyzhgd.jpg

The second P1, 2394.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 11

Hello Clive

I like what you've done (sorry, are doing) with yours.  I'd forgotten about the Crownline/PDK version.  It doesn't seem that for diesel brake tenders, at least, the world hasn't really moved onwards and upwards with the RTR offering...

There's a danger those flying pigs will get another airing if I were to suggest I've done much more productive modelling since those days...(I always did like Pink Floyd though).

Best regards

Mark

Wasn't someone going to do an RTR brake tender, possibly for one of the magazines? I have two of the Crownline ones, which look OK to me although possibly a bit basic.

Wasn't someone going to do an RTR brake tender, possibly for one of the magazines? I have two of the Crownline ones, which look OK to me although possibly a bit basic.

Hornby magazine did do one, whether it's still available or not I don't know.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64001-Hornby-magazine-oo-gauge-brake-tender/page-1

A look at the relevant 'Quail' track maps suggests that the only chainage corresponding to that painted on the bridge parapet is to be found at Birmingham end of the viaducts to the south of Leamington Spa station, shown as Neilson Street viaduct. This has the chainage of 105.78 indicated, against the 105.79 shown in the photo.

Thanks ever so much.

I did think it might be Leamington, but didn't want to appear an even bigger clot than usual by getting it wrong. 

I was there too today with a few other RMwebbers Tony. I know exactly which layout you refer to. Been in MRJ, beautifully finished and researched but the poor running really spoils it for me.

Star of the show for me in terms of overall appearance, faultless running and hands free operation was this little 7mm number. Would have been even better had the backscene support not been forgotten (been there, got the forgotten something T-shirt, so they have my sympathies).

attachicon.giftmp_14710-rps20170528_182214363516468.jpg

attachicon.giftmp_14710-rps20170528_1821351535869897.jpg

Very sad to find out that this iconic layout appeared at its last show today.

attachicon.giftmp_14710-rps20170528_182045231090029.jpg

Thanks Chris,

I agree entirely with your choice of 'star of the show'. 

It is a shame about the poor running on the layout mentioned. It is so beautiful and so well-researched. I don't think I'd have bothered too much, but, some little time ago, on seeing the pictures of Little Bytham in the MRJ, one of the group effectively asked me how could I tolerate such crude tyres and flanges on the stock? It just spoiled the 'realism'. The same spoiling of the 'realism' as derailments, considering I have virtually none?

As I say, these 'gauge' discussions have been done to death, and poor running (not at Railex) can be observed on coarser-scale systems as well (just as much as good running can be observed in P4). I suppose, in the final analysis, it's down to what one can tolerate on a model railway, running-wise. In my case, I tolerate too wide tyres and too deep flanges (irrespective of gauge) because I cannot tolerate derailments and poor running. Others, and it's up to them, have different things they'll tolerate and those they won't.  

• Like 1

Apologies for being a bit late to this request, Tony, but I thought these might be appropriate. Not my work, though I'd love to be able to scratchbuild to this standard, but the late John Edgson. I was lucky enough to be invited to visit Hitchin on Friday and took these while there. I'm sure you must have some better ones.

Hitchin_C1_3279_zpszvxqu9s5.jpg

Unique C1 with Walschaerts gear, 3279.

Hitchin_A1_4470_zpswuf8mlrd.jpg

Great Northern

Hitchin_P1_2394_zpsnkjyzhgd.jpg

The second P1, 2394.

Thanks for posting those, Jonathan.

I do have some more Hitchin pictures - I'll dig them out and post a few. 

I think, in fairness, Hitchin and its stock is 'showing its age' and, say, compared with some of the scenes and stock on Grantham (including some modified RTR) there are 'differences'. 

However, along with the likes of Buckingham and Borchester, I count Hitchin as one of the most influential layouts of all time to me. Why? Because it embodied (embodies?) all that I hold dear in my own modelling. Obviously, it's ECML, it's a prototype and it's 4mm, but it's much more than that. At a time when the RTR stuff was useless or just not available, the likes of Bert Collins made things (along with his mates). He was creative, self-reliant and a great mentor. Hitchin was, as it should be for a mentor, his own work.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris,

It is a shame about the poor running on the layout mentioned. It is so beautiful and so well-researched. I don't think I'd have bothered too much, but, some little time ago, on seeing the pictures of Little Bytham in the MRJ, one of the group effectively asked me how could I tolerate such crude tyres and flanges on the stock? It just spoiled the 'realism'. The same spoiling of the 'realism' as derailments, considering I have virtually none?

As I say, these 'gauge' discussions have been done to death, and poor running (not at Railex) can be observed on coarser-scale systems as well (just as much as good running can be observed in P4). I suppose, in the final analysis, it's down to what one can tolerate on a model railway, running-wise. In my case, I tolerate too wide tyres and too deep flanges (irrespective of gauge) because I cannot tolerate derailments and poor running. Others, and it's up to them, have different things they'll tolerate and those they won't.

Just found the name of my star layout - Tollesbury Quay. The layout has been in MRJ 246 (thought it looked familiar), but for once the real layout lived up to expectations gained from the article. Smashing.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hornby magazine did do one, whether it's still available or not I don't know.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/64001-Hornby-magazine-oo-gauge-brake-tender/page-1

Hi Robert

As Nelson says Hornby magazine did it with Dapol. Biggest fault with it is the Gresley bogies don't appear to have any brakes, there are some dangly things. It is not alone in this problem, the Just Like The Real Thing 7 mm one has no brakes. I think there must be some confusion in the name of the "wagon" Diesel Brake Tender, well it has no diesel, it isn't a tender, so why should it have brakes?  Back to the Hornby Magazine one, it is OK but the ABS and PDK/Inter-city models versions are a wee bit better.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Thanks ever so much.

I did think it might be Leamington, but didn't want to appear an even bigger clot than usual by getting it wrong. 

Picking up on the overnight (my time zone) RMweb traffic, my first impression when I saw the photo was that you were pulling our leg and that it was taken on Pete Waterman's layout...

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Chris,

It's not necessarily just what we can tolerate, one has to be be pragmatic about what one, (if it's your own layout), can build and operate.

It would pee me off if I'd gone to all the trouble of building a "finescale" layout with all of the inherent perfection that is assumed to go with it, and then found it didn't operate at all well, not that this is purely reserved for such layouts. Enjoyment is obtained from all facets of the hobby.

Mike.

• Like 1

Agreed Tony. I've seen the layout you refer to three times now and, whilst it's beautifully presented it has always had running issues.

Meanwhile the four-track main line in OO performed faultlessly whenever I watched it. They could do with some more information for the viewer about each train that passes; as it's operated to a sequence and not randomly this shouldn't be too difficult to achieve whether it's hi-tech (screens) or low-tech (cards). One thing I did note however, there are no turn outs whatsoever on the viewing side of the layout. The large fiddle yard is extremely well stocked with trains, the signalling works (where's the box though?) and overall it presents an extremely realistic spectacle. Having said all that, the same outcome could probably be achievable to the same standards in EM and (with great care and attention to detail) in S4.