Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium

Unlike your namesake you weren't going fast enough then. When worn backwards a baseball cap creates lift until it flies up & away. I know - it can't be wear one worn backwards on a jetski for long.

William

Jetskis are Satan's spawn for Essex boys.

B.L  Jeebub

• RMweb Premium

30,000 posts, that’s got me thinking. When this thread reaches 6xxxx we’ll get to some very evocative numbers. In the meantime I’ll dedicate this post To 30040, a Drummond M7 built in 1898 and scrapped in 1961.

We'll be getting to many much more evocative number long before then with certain large green engines in about 4 to 5000 and then many superior large red engines.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Jetskis are Satan's spawn for Essex boys.

B.L  Jeebub

I used to own one of those Phil. In fact I've had three over time! Contemplating getting another one next spring to finally get it out of the system! They're required equipment for the RLNI lifeguards and some police forces on the south coast! Indeed they're useful in RYA dinghy sailing instruction.

...I'll shut up now....!  :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifV2 60943 on fitted freight.jpg

Is this the van which you think 'good modellers' cannot see is wrong, very wrong, Clive? 

If so, I'll chuck it out right away!

Would anyone care to comment on any of the goods vehicles seen in the following pictures? Since almost none of these were made by me (I only have about 15 wagons of my build out of 250 on LB), then I can pass the blame on to others if they're wrong. 

attachicon.gif9F on Up freight.jpg

attachicon.gifDJH 9F 92042 02.jpg

attachicon.gifDJH 9F 92042 03.jpg

attachicon.giffreights.jpg

attachicon.gifO4 8.jpg

attachicon.gifoverall view 20.jpg

attachicon.gifOverall view 42 goods yard.jpg

attachicon.gifsecond SEF J6 weathered 03.jpg

Any locos are my build/modification, though.........................

Don't know about the wagons but I spy, in two trains, a bogie NPCCS vehicle incorrectly marshalled because in a freight train they should be either next to the engine or (at the modelled date of LB) next to the brakevan. (Unless the ER happened to have some very different Instructions of its own in respect of such matters.)

Only once have I been interrupted by someone who was 'unhappy' with my talk. I was giving a presentation to delegates at a meeting on 'The future of the Hobby, a Personal View'. I thought it might be a good idea to feature to begin with a few pictures of models from the past, including old RTR, and layouts from years ago. After about a couple of minutes (just as I was showing the last of the 'in the past' pictures), he got up and challenged me as to what they had to do with the hobby's future. Since my talk was scheduled for (at least) 45 minutes, plus questions, I thought he was a bit unfair. So did all the others, who promptly 'invited' him to leave. What a d!ck, I thought. 

Engraved on my memory, dear boy, engraved on my memory.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

We'll be getting to many much more evocative number long before then with certain large green engines in about 4 to 5000 and then many superior large red engines.

Jamie

Yup 30045/48 on the Seaton Branch Push Pull service; RIP 1963.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had the following happen? My S15 suffered a front crank pin failure last night, or at least that's when I discovered the problem. I've had cases where the front crank pin washer has come unsoldered, but in this case the entire crank had sheared clean through. Luckily the "flange" was still present so I could remove it from the wheel using the Romford tool, or else I'd have been in a real pickle. I'll have it repaired by this evening, and will be watching the new crank pin with interest, and not sparing the lubrication around the coupling rods.

attachicon.gifV2 60943 on fitted freight.jpg

Is this the van which you think 'good modellers' cannot see is wrong, very wrong, Clive? 

If so, I'll chuck it out right away!

Would anyone care to comment on any of the goods vehicles seen in the following pictures? Since almost none of these were made by me (I only have about 15 wagons of my build out of 250 on LB), then I can pass the blame on to others if they're wrong. 

attachicon.gif9F on Up freight.jpg

attachicon.gifDJH 9F 92042 02.jpg

attachicon.gifDJH 9F 92042 03.jpg

attachicon.giffreights.jpg

attachicon.gifO4 8.jpg

attachicon.gifoverall view 20.jpg

attachicon.gifOverall view 42 goods yard.jpg

attachicon.gifsecond SEF J6 weathered 03.jpg

Any locos are my build/modification, though.........................

Good evening Tony,

your opening a major can of worms with that one. Perhaps it is something that is worthy of discussion as freight sock comes pretty close to the bottom when it comes to fidelity. I suspect that your kit built fleet of wagons will be fairly good. However, there are still some major clunkers, aimed at the steam era modeler, being sold amongst the top of the range RTR products. Some new ones have even been added to ranges in recent times.

Has anyone had the following happen? My S15 suffered a front crank pin failure last night, or at least that's when I discovered the problem. I've had cases where the front crank pin washer has come unsoldered, but in this case the entire crank had sheared clean through. Luckily the "flange" was still present so I could remove it from the wheel using the Romford tool, or else I'd have been in a real pickle. I'll have it repaired by this evening, and will be watching the new crank pin with interest, and not sparing the lubrication around the coupling rods.

Evening Barry,

yes, I have come across this with an friends locomotive. Almost certainly the crankpin had been stressed when being screwed into the wheel, probably bending the pin. The remainder was so tightly fixed on the wheel that I had to drill it out. Fortunately, it then parted in two halves and a replacement was easily inserted. The coupling rod was then found to be slightly tight as the locomotive entered a corner, this may have contributed to the problem. After a bit of fettling all was eventually fine.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening Tony,

your opening a major can of worms with that one. Perhaps it is something that is worthy of discussion as freight sock comes pretty close to the bottom when it comes to fidelity. I suspect that your kit built fleet of wagons will be fairly good. However, there are still some major clunkers, aimed at the steam era modeler, being sold amongst the top of the range RTR products. Some new ones have even been added to ranges in recent times.

Oh ###### that's my goods services doomed then, however there were hardly any on the WOEML west of Salisbury in daylight hours and next to none on a Summer Saturday anywhere on the SR. Having said that, I now have an excuse to spend far too long looking at books  describing and showing pictures of Vans and Wagons. Even then the make up of the few trains I could have will need to be carefully planned by the look of it.

P

• Like 4

Oh ###### that's my goods services doomed then, however there were hardly any on the WOEML west of Salisbury in daylight hours and next to none on a Summer Saturday anywhere on the SR. Having said that, I now have an excuse to spend far too long looking at books  describing and showing pictures of Vans and Wagons. Even then the make up of the few trains I could have will need to be carefully planned by the look of it.

P

It doesn't do any harm to do a bit of research first before spending some brass, it's easy to get carried away by quantities when it comes to wagons. If twenty years have passed and your head is still buried in the book, that may be a slight problem. At least you will have the most fantastic imaginary wagon fleet almost in existence.

• Like 2

Hello Tony

Is that a Bachmann ex-LMS Cattle Wagon in the loading dock? If so - to the best of my knowledge - this uses a (scale) 17ft 6in body on a 10ft chassis. It should be a 19ft body on an 11ft chassis.

Brian

Probably Brian,

But it's not mine! 

Best wishes,

Tony. 

• Like 1

It doesn't do any harm to do a bit of research first before spending some brass, it's easy to get carried away by quantities when it comes to wagons. If twenty years have passed and your head is still buried in the book, that may be a slight problem. At least you will have the most fantastic imaginary wagon fleet almost in existence.

I now have this vision of thousands of wagon reference books being dusted off from where they have been placed years ago and re read just because of a comment about a wagon on a certain layout being possibly 1mm out.  :scratchhead:

If everyone on here who does check against said books admits to how many wagons are wrong on there layout I would like to know how many that is.....

Yes I am that sad, well occasionally anyway.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't mean me, though those wagons did derail just as I looked at them! 

Regards,

Tony. 

If the (backward-facing baseball) cap fits...

No, of course not! There's a huge difference between experts and "experts". I was thinking of the sort of folk at shows who love to proclaim what's wrong but never praise what's right.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

How could it be Bill Bishop?

I said the guy was a d!ck. That's not Bill! 

With socks! 

Was he wearing shorts as well? He probably was! 

That reminds me of the old Public Information Film encouraging us to declare goods at Customs, which ended with the punchline "But how can I be frank? My name's Bill".

• RMweb Gold

Evening Barry,

yes, I have come across this with an friends locomotive. Almost certainly the crankpin had been stressed when being screwed into the wheel, probably bending the pin. The remainder was so tightly fixed on the wheel that I had to drill it out. Fortunately, it then parted in two halves and a replacement was easily inserted. The coupling rod was then found to be slightly tight as the locomotive entered a corner, this may have contributed to the problem. After a bit of fettling all was eventually fine.

The one that sheared off was on the outside when the loco was cornering, so it may well have been a combination of factors as you suggest. Anyway. I managed to put in a new crankpin and washer without disassembling the valve gear, and all's now well. One of the benefits of kit-building is that these repairs are relatively stress-free compared to fixing a damaged part in an RTR chassis!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I now have this vision of thousands of wagon reference books being dusted off from where they have been placed years ago and re read just because of a comment about a wagon on a certain layout being possibly 1mm out.  :scratchhead:

If everyone on here who does check against said books admits to how many wagons are wrong on there layout I would like to know how many that is.....

Yes I am that sad, well occasionally anyway.

Regards

Peter

Phil