Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

No sooner said than a ‘weather window’ arrived. Would probably make a professional coach painter cry but there comes a time when there is more to be gained by finishing the job rather than leaving it or further time consuming fiddling. Importantly I’ve learned a lot from this and look forward to doing more. 

Hy-Cote rattle cans for the crimson and cream, Railmatch for the rest. Glazing in a couple of days when the paint is properly hardened then time to put an order into Fox for some transfers.

FE23053F-2F0E-40E0-885D-D06CF533360B.jpeg.ba5b2e610a1724170319da66841a482a.jpeg

That looks superb! Can I ask what Hy-cote colour you use for cream. I find Ford Rosso Red works well for crimson, but have yet too find a good match for cream. The ones listed on the online fora are all discontinued.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

Lovely photo, but what was the white pole this side of the bracket signal?

Lloyd

It is a guy wire post, with wires helping to support the signal and others going from the top of the post to the ground.

"Queens Boards" (or is it "Queen's Bards, I can never remember"?) was a very top heavy bracket and these provided extra support when a bracket was either heavy or lopsided.

Many real signals had them but they are seldom modelled.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

Lovely photo, but what was the white pole this side of the bracket signal?

Lloyd

It's a guy support, Lloyd (as pointed out by Tony Gee).

Guy wires were attached to this (and others) to stabilise such complex signals in high winds. You can just make out its partner on the other side of the signal.

I've modelled a couple of such poles on LB. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on RMweb for ages, ever since my move overseas to my island paradise, away from all the hubbub of mainland UK.

I can't see a huge problem with re-starting model railway shows, even though they were previously well known for over-crowding, 

oversize rucksacks, and a degree of pushing and shoving. We just need to follow the now more relaxed supermarket practice, 

having scrapped the one-way system in the aisles, although retaining the separate entrance and exit, and with a limit on overall numbers at any one time. As long as everyone wears masks, and keeps one metre apart (like at Scaleforum on the sunday afternoon!), we'll all be fine. 

Regarding material for loco pick-ups, i've always found phosphor-bronze good on nickel tyres, nickel-silver strip to work better on steel tyres, and hard brass wire works well on anything. No doubt it's all down to the metallurgy, i'm told that even the finest steel has quite a 

rough surface, hence it's superior adhesion properties, perhaps not so good for conductivity though, with the bumping causing more sparks. The pick-up metal should always be softer than the tyre metal, or you'll end up with grooves. I've never been a fan of enclosed plunger pick-ups, the springs tend to eventually collapse, and to change some, means removing the wheels.

Enjoying a visit to Little Bytham two years ago, we ran two of my DJH Black 5s (supposedly on a Mansfield to Norwich cup tie special) around the Up Main, Tony was rather cross to find some oil had got on to his railheads. I have a habit of allowing a droplet of oil on to my loco driving wheels, it reduces sparking between wheel and rail, meaning less dirt, keeps the wheels and pick-ups cleaner, and I find everything runs more smoothly, quite good for starting wheel-slip effects too. In the real world, high-voltage switchgear is invariably contained within an oil bath, to reduce arcing, my method is just a scaled down version. It makes track cleaning easier too, none of this "I spent two hours cleaning the track" nonsense, the film of oil spreads along the track, loosening any dirt, then a heavy loco with a wiping pad is sent around to mop things up.

I'm a great admirer of the late Roy's Retford layout, although sadly I never got to see it in the flesh, I must say it looks splendid in the latest photographs, and i'm sure it is in safe hands.

Cheers, Brian. (On the Isle Of Wight)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

I have three Thompson Pacifics, one each of Each A2 variant.

We’ll work in number order. The ‘Wolf‘ has been seen on here before as we used it as a guinea pig for Tony to teach me how to build kits properly for which I’m very grateful. She turned out pretty well, but is sadly not.nearly as smooth as Tony’s finest.

093D1B5D-0D0A-4C2E-A3CC-E805678EA27D.jpeg.977b3f7ac3a76b842d06fc0b36258019.jpeg

60508 was a Gamston Bank engine which Tony sold to me on one of my visits. A loverly runner and proof that American 

pick ups can work well on DCC.

DB5A55B6-D684-47D4-9925-58B15A7408C0.jpeg.d88dc24dd691ac31ac47ae5fba43f58d.jpeg

And finally 60513, Dante was bought from Rails at Warley a couple of years ago. some bits have needed reattaching, but she’s also a good runner.

3D0C4665-3847-4337-A0E0-22474B20573C.jpeg.a83ff087dd52d2d6f3600c020d174c0f.jpeg

Sorry for the lack of ballast - it has now been done.

I really need an A1/1 To complete the set. Which kit do you recommend Tony? I expect I will also be tempted by the Hornby offerings to augment the fleet and I have a Graeme King Resin A2/3 conversion in my roundtuit pile.

Andy

When things settle down, Andy, bring your 60506 over and I'll have a look at it for you.

Best A1/1? Good question. As you know, mine is built from a Crownline kit (replacing a scratch-built one I made donkeys' years ago). I think it's now available from PDK, but it's basically the same.

I thought little of the resin boiler, and the cab needs altering slightly to give the right proportion (the horizontal handrails are too low as designed). I know Micklner doesn't think much of it, but it's the route I'd take again.

There's always Graeme King's resin/Hornby conversion to consider. I've seen some very good examples of that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been on RMweb for ages, ever since my move overseas to my island paradise, away from all the hubbub of mainland UK.

I can't see a huge problem with re-starting model railway shows, even though they were previously well known for over-crowding, 

oversize rucksacks, and a degree of pushing and shoving. We just need to follow the now more relaxed supermarket practice, 

having scrapped the one-way system in the aisles, although retaining the separate entrance and exit, and with a limit on overall numbers at any one time. As long as everyone wears masks, and keeps one metre apart (like at Scaleforum on the sunday afternoon!), we'll all be fine. 

Regarding material for loco pick-ups, i've always found phosphor-bronze good on nickel tyres, nickel-silver strip to work better on steel tyres, and hard brass wire works well on anything. No doubt it's all down to the metallurgy, i'm told that even the finest steel has quite a 

rough surface, hence it's superior adhesion properties, perhaps not so good for conductivity though, with the bumping causing more sparks. The pick-up metal should always be softer than the tyre metal, or you'll end up with grooves. I've never been a fan of enclosed plunger pick-ups, the springs tend to eventually collapse, and to change some, means removing the wheels.

Enjoying a visit to Little Bytham two years ago, we ran two of my DJH Black 5s (supposedly on a Mansfield to Norwich cup tie special) around the Up Main, Tony was rather cross to find some oil had got on to his railheads. I have a habit of allowing a droplet of oil on to my loco driving wheels, it reduces sparking between wheel and rail, meaning less dirt, keeps the wheels and pick-ups cleaner, and I find everything runs more smoothly, quite good for starting wheel-slip effects too. In the real world, high-voltage switchgear is invariably contained within an oil bath, to reduce arcing, my method is just a scaled down version. It makes track cleaning easier too, none of this "I spent two hours cleaning the track" nonsense, the film of oil spreads along the track, loosening any dirt, then a heavy loco with a wiping pad is sent around to mop things up.

I'm a great admirer of the late Roy's Retford layout, although sadly I never got to see it in the flesh, I must say it looks splendid in the latest photographs, and i'm sure it is in safe hands.

Cheers, Brian. (On the Isle Of Wight)

Good to hear from you again, Brian,

I think I was more cross when one of your derailing DMUs wiped out a ground signal! No matter, it was all good fun. 

I have to say I've never found 'oiling the rails' to be of any benefit to pick-up; in fact, quite the opposite because it encourages a gooey build-up of grot in my experience.

In the future, I'll see if I can arrange a visit for you to see Retford.

It really is magnificent............................

857190550_Retford2382017W1.jpg.1167ade7d06a32fe10d605e850acbfcd.jpg

How many other model railways give the viewer this sort of vista?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Tony,

I really need to voice it as well as click a button. Thank you for taking them  and Sandra for allowing photo's of Retford. It really does seem to be an absolutely stunning layout.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Unfortunately, Rick Hunt's wonderful 'Queen's boards' bracket signal has ceased to work.................

I doubt that is the case. It may simply need switching on.

There is an independent normally open switch wired into the power supply feed so it could be powered independently of the main layout in an attempt to limit power surge twitching.

Strange thing is, last time we serviced the signal, someone had wired in an additional switch under the baseboard that served no purpose.

The signal is wired to be operated as the prototype.

If memory serves correct, Q/B distants S12(1) [Babworth lever 24] & S12(2)  [Babworth lever 32] are slotted with home signal 13 which is located at the south end of the down platform protecting the crossing from ECML up trains. Levers 12 and 13 have to be cleared by the GC operators (Pete/Tim) to to enable Q/B distants S12(1) S12(2) to be cleared.  Q/B homes, N24 & N32  work in conjunction with Q/B distants S12(1) S12(2) and will not clear if S13 is at danger. (I think I've got that right?).

P

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

53 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

It is a guy wire post, with wires helping to support the signal and others going from the top of the post to the ground.

... and it looks like the tensioner/stay wire has "twanged" again.

Hi Tony,

I'd forgotten about the DMU derailment, I shouldn't have run them, since they were still a work in progress, with unrefined couplings, and a few wobbles, where i'd re-wheeled the motor bogies. I've never found oil on the rails to form a gooey mess, it either gets wiped off, or just evaporates? Maybe the sharp western curve on the Retford layout, could benefit from flange lubricators?:biggrin_mini2: The layout's semaphore gantries look truly splendid, like roses in the garden. 

Cheers, Brian.

1 hour ago, davidw said:

Tony,

I really need to voice it as well as click a button. Thank you for taking them  and Sandra for allowing photo's of Retford. It really does seem to be an absolutely stunning layout.

Thanks David,

The intention is take pictures on the occasions I visit Retford. I'll not be posting every one on here, because I'll be preparing some articles in due course. I'll only really be acting as a 'commentator', since the driving force is no more. 

I think the completion of Retford needs to be seen. It's much too important a layout in the history of the hobby not to be finished.

In a way, it's 'my' perfect layout. It's where I stood for real on so many occasions all those years ago now - notebook in hand, eagerly awaiting (along with countless others) another appearance of a 'Streak'! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porcy Mane said:

I doubt that is the case. It may simply need switching on.

There is an independent normally open switch wired into the power supply feed so it could be powered independently of the main layout in an attempt to limit power surge twitching.

Strange thing is, last time we serviced the signal, someone had wired in an additional switch under the baseboard that served no purpose.

The signal is wired to be operated as the prototype.

If memory serves correct, Q/B distants S12(1) [Babworth lever 24] & S12(2)  [Babworth lever 32] are slotted with home signal 13 which is located at the south end of the down platform protecting the crossing from ECML up trains. Levers 12 and 13 have to be cleared by the GC operators (Pete/Tim) to to enable Q/B distants S12(1) S12(2) to be cleared.  Q/B homes, N24 & N32  work in conjunction with Q/B distants S12(1) S12(2) and will not clear if S13 is at danger. (I think I've got that right?).

P

Many thanks,

Sandra reads this thread, so no doubt she'll investigate. I wouldn't dare look at its workings!

Retford is full of 'additional' switches. Yesterday we tried one on the outside baseboard edge beneath the main 'station buildings' (as you know, still just mock-ups). It worked one point on the goods relief road, but was not linked to any of the others (which are controlled from inside). Weird!

Regards,

Tony. 

47 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

My recent model is now finished (not in time for my visit to LB on Saturday.....to Sir's relief!). A 3D printed body on a Bachmann Jinty chassis, plus subsequent detailing.

My interpretation of how the real NWR No. 1 'Thomas' would have really looked, circa Autumn 1959 (the time period of my layout, Ffarquhar). The driver is a 3D print from Modelu of my good friend Ben @BritishGypsum4 who is a fireman and driver on two heritage railways.

DSC07584.jpeg.c856f7a1385c63e70b799aaa3c6d0553.jpeg

A few years ago, I would never have thought I'd have been able to paint and line out locomotives. What a rewarding hobby this is!

A pity, 

I'd have liked to have seen it, Tom (despite what you might think).

Have you thought of showing us that phone footage you took? I was astonished at quality. Modern phones seem to have camera functions which rival massive DSLRs!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

3 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some more Retford shots....................

287757680_Retford2382004D11.jpg.e68e9a4393569bde57968650377d181d.jpg

My re-gauged Bachmann D11 carries on northwards.

Unfortunately, Rick Hunt's wonderful 'Queen's boards' bracket signal has ceased to work.................

1110829181_Retford2382010A3onTalisman.jpg.509e53360fec203ab3fb3b0a73c31eca.jpg

Class A3 60042 SINGAPORE heads the Down afternoon 'Talisman'. 

It's shots such as this which illustrate one of Roy Jackson's blind spots. No lamps, and not even lamp brackets.

Do the omissions spoil the overall effect? I think so, and so easy to rectify. I'll make it one of my tasks! 

623689780_Retford23820129F.jpg.683ea529ad775d8334f8db831c8b5e0f.jpg

Lamps or not, it's the broad sweep of Retford which absolutely convinces.

A Clas 9F (complete with numberplate, but with no numbers on it - another job!) takes the Down goods avoiding line to the west of the station. Though the signal to control this move has been built, it's still to be installed. 

There were many locos that needed attention on Retford and Roy was fully aware. When people wanted to see one that was placed on the fiddle yard as a spare have a run, he would say that it was off the layout because it was "choose appropriate word" rubbish. Some were ancient and needed upgrading or replacing. There were many that were regarded as spares and were no longer in regular use. Others were just never quite finished.

If you want to go through them listing faults for you to correct, you will find plenty.

I am sure he (or one of the "gang") would have got to them eventually if he had still been here.  

Edited by t-b-g
remove stray extra quote
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

A pity, 

I'd have liked to have seen it, Tom (despite what you might think).

Have you thought of showing us that phone footage you took? I was astonished at quality. Modern phones seem to have camera functions which rival massive DSLRs!

Regards,

Tony. 

I'm just putting it together now, doing it as a separate video and I'll edit the big video with your footage in the next couple of days.

Edited by Hawin Dooiey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

There were many locos that needed attention on Retford and Roy was fully aware. When people wanted to see one that was placed on the fiddle yard as a spare have a run, he would say that it was off the layout because it was "choose appropriate word" rubbish. Some were ancient and needed upgrading or replacing. There were many that were regarded as spares and were no longer in regular use. Others were just never quite finished.

If you want to go through them listing faults for you to correct, you will find plenty.

I am sure he (or one of the "gang") would have got to them eventually if he had still been here.  

Thanks Tony,

Please don't think I'm finding fault. It's just that some of the things 'needed' will be just simple fixes. Lamps, for instance; even if a loco doesn't have lamp irons, since the majority will be on 'fixed' duties (Pacifics and V2s on expresses/fast goods, etc) the lamps can be fixed on by the tiniest bead of superglue.

And, I have hundreds of Ian Wilson's front numberplates. 

I can see I'm going to be rather busy!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The other LB Thompson Pacifics........................

1819542208_60508DUKEOFROTHESAY.jpg.9e6f8ab276de7534d6385e740d9f9c37.jpg

Considering this old girl is now nearing 45 years old, I think she's still (just about) acceptable, especially as everything about it is 'all my own work'. Built from a Jamieson hand-cut kit (which cost me £27.50 in 1975/'76 - what's that today?), it represents 60508, the only A2/1 I ever saw. I had the nameplates especially made as well (by Kings Cross Models - I think they cost a fiver, and I had to cut them out!).

1553511076_60513DANTE.jpg.c6a4e1eb6e7cca0209a6c7e3ea17f2d8.jpg

DANTE was the first production DJH A2/3 kit to be built (I didn't build the prototype - the late John Sneyd did that). Rather cleaner than might be expected of a New England loco, it would be a sin to obliterate Ian Rathbone's fine painting with grime. 

She represents one of the class (as all were, eventually) fitted with a Peppercorn boiler. 

1784006427_60515SUNSTREAM.jpg.f082e3a478de50a00b650e74dec61ec5.jpg

The ever ingenious Graeme King produced SUN STREAM for me, using his resin/etched parts and a Bachmann A2 donor. I detailed it, patch/part-painted, numbered, named and weathered it to produce an A2/3 in typical 50 A condition. 

1034540567_60516HYCILLA.jpg.b1c7f6ccbc73b48c2698c4fee1d261c6.jpg

A Tyneside-based A2/3 in the form of 60516 (before she went to York). Again, another DJH/Wright/Rathbone combination, this one retains its original boiler and stovepipe double chimney. 

I wonder why Thompson's Pacifics seem to be popular (at least in model form)? Most authors have little good to say about them, and it's significant that (apart from one or two examples) they were never shedded at the depots with the most-prestigious work for any length of time. Despite their being newer, the Gresley designs outlived them (indeed, apart from the original Raven A2s, the A2/2s were the first LNER Pacifics to be withdrawn). 

As mentioned, I'm sure the forthcoming Hornby examples will sell well.

If any others would like to show us their own Thompson Pacifics, please do......................

Hi Tony

Some really nice examples of Thompson's Pacific's.

I enclose a photo indicating all three of the models I have all in one go, the A2/1 is a PDK kit and the other two are both Bachmann/G King A2/3 conversions.

Regards

David

60510_IMG_1493B.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Hawin Dooiey said:

Here is the few clips we filmed using my phone on Saturday. A couple of shots were unusable (I dropped a controller on the floor during one shot).

I'll be editing a much more extensive video this week of Tony's own footage he has filmed using his camcorder. I'll post that video in here when it's done.

Hi Tom

Watching the A4 on the fast freight really shows the advantage of Tony's backscene being set away from the edge of the baseboard. As your camera moves up and down the horizon stays put but the features in front go with the camera. Much like when you walk or travel in a car. It also stays stationary even with a bit of sideways movement

One of the things I detest about backscenes is they move with the foreground which takes away any feeling of depth. A plain sky blue is better than many backscenes.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

The other LB Thompson Pacifics........................

1819542208_60508DUKEOFROTHESAY.jpg.9e6f8ab276de7534d6385e740d9f9c37.jpg

Considering this old girl is now nearing 45 years old, I think she's still (just about) acceptable, especially as everything about it is 'all my own work'. Built from a Jamieson hand-cut kit (which cost me £27.50 in 1975/'76 - what's that today?), it represents 60508, the only A2/1 I ever saw. I had the nameplates especially made as well (by Kings Cross Models - I think they cost a fiver, and I had to cut them out!).

Tony, 

£27.50 in 1975 would be a few pence short of £222 today.

Archie

3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

On the DCC question, in my experience DCC is much more ‘fussy’ but allows finer control when you get it right. A loco with poor pick ups will be virtually inoperable on DCC - but then they should have been fixed anyway. What DCC does give is super slow speed control on a loco that works well on DC. It also gives more drive ability through momentum and braking control. Adding Stayalive can make the loco even smoother and works very well on shunting layouts. 

As for sound, I love it but I accept it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. It’s better for diesels than for steam, but I have some good steamers as well - my YouChoos J50 is probably the best. For a pacific storming round on 13 bogies, I agree there’s no point other than the whistle.

Hi Andy,

I fully agree.  By fussy do you mean that DCC objects to interruptions in the power feed?

I consider myself pro DCC, but I did not rush to adopt it when it first came out and I certainly didn't fall for the 'you only need two wires' hype.

I certainly would not install DCC on the basis of loco sound or lighting.  Neither am I a great lover of operating points and signals from a DCC hand set, give me a control panel any day. 

After experimenting the big sell for me is undoubtedly the improved slow speed control that DCC can deliver.  Good loco performance is the number one priority for me, particularly on an exhibition layout.    This is why I installed DCC operation in the station yard on Hungerford even though the layout is otherwise completely analogue and this si also the reason our new layout Clayton will be DCC enabled.

The benefits as I believe them to be are:

- The constant 15volts on the track reduces the risk of stalling at very low speeds, or of failing to start, particularly at the end of a long day's exhibiting when track and wheels are starting to dirty up.

- The stay alive facility further assists with compensating for dirty track (or plastic frogs) although I have yet to exploit this facility myself.

- As long as the CV's have been optimised for the motor a loco runs better under DCC at slow speeds than when the same loco is run under analogue (without the chip).

- Operators with a tendency to stop and start loco's too abruptly can be toned down by setting up inertia on the loco's chip.

- For the future, long goods trains on Clayton will need banking (actual not pretend) as per the prototype.  DCC will allow us to accurately pair up the train and banking locomotives so that they set off and move at the same speed. 

It should be recognised that a DCC fitted loco may not operate as well with the chip as without it on an analogue layout.  This is because the chip needs about 6 volts on the track before it switches on and only then will the motor start to receive current.

If you want to encourage visiting locomotives it is also beneficial if the layout has dual operating capability i.e. DCC and Analogue operation.  Its easy to do as long as its built in from the outset.  

With a large layout as Clayton will be it is essential to ensure that a short circuit on one part of the layout will not bring everything to a standstill.  A large layout can be zoned so that the short is restricted to a single zone and not allowed to impact the main command station. 

If you don't enjoy dabbling with electronics, nor playing on your computer, then perhaps DCC is not for you.  Many of the contributors to Wright Writes have  already demonstrated that they can achieve superb running with analogue control so it is obviously not essential.  But if you are like me and feel comfortable messing about with electrics, computers and DCC, then there is a lot of pleasure to be had from DCC with the potential benefit of the best possible control of your model locomotives that modern technology can provide.

Regards,

Frank

• Like 2
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

That looks superb! Can I ask what Hy-cote colour you use for cream. I find Ford Rosso Red works well for crimson, but have yet too find a good match for cream. The ones listed on the online fora are all discontinued.

Andy

Thank you Andy. The cream is Hy Cote Ford 'Sierra Beige' obtained from Sprayster. It looked odd when Just the cream was on the coach but with the crimson it looks well. I've never seen a real crimson and cream coach from 'back in the day' but these two colours go well on the model. They are nothing like any RTR offering from the trade - not that that means a great deal. :) 

The Red is Ford Rosso. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1