Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I have a problem - I have more buses than there will be overbridges on my layout. Where should I put the leftovers?

In the queue of traffic waiting to cross the bridge that some idiot got a bus stuck on?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I have a problem - I have more buses than there will be overbridges on my layout. Where should I put the leftovers?

Ah.  Perhaps you should incorporate St Austell into your layout as well?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 hours ago, Taz said:

I can thoroughly recommend the Brassmasters bogie compensation units as an alternative to the above.

we have used both these and Bill Bedford on the coaching /EMU stock for Balcombe (P4) and have been very pleased with their performance and have settled on them for all future builds.

Just for clarity Taz, Brassmasters are compensated rather than sprung are they?

A bit late picking up on Tony’s question about the church and Brayton Gates, but here is a bit of info as I grew up about 5 miles from there.

Brayton Gates is a level crossing still there on the Selby – Doncaster line, formerly part of the ECML. The ECML now bypasses Selby on an alternative route built in the 1980’s to avoid mine subsidence from the then new Selby Coal Filed. This was very convenient as the old Selby bridge over the river Ouse required trains to slow to 40mph to cross, great for spotting at Selby but a nuisance for the expresses.

The Abbey apparently survived Henry VIII’s destruction of the Abbeys as it was the birthplace of Henry I. The surrounding monastery was destroyed though at that time, as far as I know.

The old Brayton Junction station closed even before LNER days as far as I know, and many of the surrounding lines around Selby disappeared long before Beaching.

I think the gates, or crossing used to have its own signal box when I was young, but like many around the area they have been demolished over the last 40 years. The crossing is about 1 mile South of Selby Station.

‘Railway Memories. No 14 Selby & Goole’ by Stephen Chapman published by Bellcode has a few photos taken on that bit of line and quite a good history of the railways in that area.

In the late 70s Selby was a fantastic place for a train spotter on the ECML, and as it was where the Hull to Liverpool Transpennine route crossed it was quite busy, although Leeds and York were bigger interchanges for the cross country routes. The through trains slowing for the bridge also made spotting easier. Sadly, I was too young to see the great stream locomotives passing though, but the Deltics and later the HST Intercity 125s all passed through as well as the usual Eastern Region classes.

It is still a beautiful station, but like the town after the mines went, Selby is a bit of a backwater. Pretty Abbey but not a great deal else to attract people there. The last time I visited, I took some photos of the railway area for modelling reference, but the town reminded me of the Milan Kundera book title ‘Life is Elsewhere’.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Open goal there St. Far too tempting. However I have taken an oath...……………..

57 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Hi Tony

I shall have time to get back to the LB bridge photoetch design now that one of the projects started at Missenden has just been finished. You may recall an earlier post when a showed a number of the students trees resulting from the first Tree Making course at Pendon (run by Stuart Holt and Mick Bonwick).

Well, I have had a go at a rather large Oak tree as below. This will not be stuck at the back of a layout!

DSC04233.JPG.cbb4de0d42d59205db8507202855dee8.JPG

DSC04235.JPG.fcc192d0046e04db677440980898dcbb.JPG

DSC04236.JPG.8a87a9a9af451757f1d68c9a0ac04b05.JPG

Please excuse the crazy mixed up rolling stock in the background (used for scale and were 'to hand' as weathering projects in the same vicinity)

Dave

Cracker that Dave, really excellent shape. I'd be up for going to Pendon just to do that course. Presumably there is suitable accommodation nearby? Unless, of course, it might be another idea for one, or part of one to do at Bytham/ the Pub? 

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Cracker that Dave, really excellent shape. I'd be up for going to Pendon just to do that course. Presumably there is suitable accommodation nearby? Unless, of course, it might be another idea for one, or part of one to do at Bytham/ the Pub? 

Phil

Phil

This is the course at Pendon https://pendonmuseum.com/events/event.php?s=make-trees-the-pendon-way-weekend-workshop

but the Nov 19 course is fully booked. There will be another 2 next year = need to get in early.

There is accomodation near by. Worth a look at Gordon Gravett books (Wild Swan) if you would like to get some idea of what is needed.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Phil

This is the course at Pendon https://pendonmuseum.com/events/event.php?s=make-trees-the-pendon-way-weekend-workshop

but the Nov 19 course is fully booked. There will be another 2 next year = need to get in early.

There is accomodation near by. Worth a look at Gordon Gravett books (Wild Swan) if you would like to get some idea of what is needed.

Dave

Much appreciated Dave.

P

• Like 1

On 07/08/2019 at 09:06, Tony Wright said:

Many thanks,

And thanks to the others who've commented as well.....................

D9018.jpg.3068348aca8d494616139f787b7dafe2.jpg

This is the best I can do with the picture (it's a poor scan), but that looks like Selby Abbey in the background to me. 

Even though I'm an atheist, I have a great love for our magnificent churches. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Is there a date for this photo please?

It's hard to make out the exact formation but it looks like Summer 1964 after the RU had been replaced by an RUO and RKB and the separate buffet car had been removed but before the Thompson first with ladies' retiring room had given way to a Mark II FK. At this time, the up Flying Scotsman set returned north same day on the 1805 to Newcastle 'The North Eastern'. Next day it worked south on the 0750 from Newcastle 'The North  Eastern' and then formed the down 'Heart of Midlothian' (1400 from King's Cross to Edinburgh). There were two sets in circuit. Workings differed at the weekend. My copy of the Summer 1964 East Coast Carriage Workings has handwritten amendments showing formation changes.

• RMweb Premium

I feel in the wrong league with all this talk about sprung and compensated bogies, when all I use is Hornby ones under my cut and shut Railroad coaches I am building at the moment.

169a.jpg.4f95a478f5b4ae1b280ea0a2b448e4e2.jpg

A diagram 191 Brake Second Open, I have the sliding ventilators to add to the windows, fit the roof, fill in the gaps add some beading , and make all the underframe bits and bobs.

The corridor side of a diagram 115 SK, The windows corridor windows on the Railroad coaches have been made to fit their short length so there is quite a lot of cutting and shutting to get them right and the coach the correct length. Oddly the compartments are the right sizes, the missing length is taken out in the lavatories. 

173a.jpg.1c9d2af005ee09eeab28e8d4c1d6f544.jpg

For more photos , and a repeat of these two please see my Sheffield Exchange thread.

• Like 11

On 10/08/2019 at 13:13, Clem said:

I'm in the middle of making a signal box for? - still haven't got a name for my layout - but possibly Nuthall or Nuthall and Watnall. We'll see.

But this has nothing to do with the fact that it doesn't take me much to get distracted on to something else. I came across and fished out a half-finished Kirk Diagram 65 Brake Third which I started in the early 90's and not finished. In P4, I just couldn't resist converting it to EM. Even though I need another D65 like a hole in the head! Anyway, I thought "I'll convert it for a bit of fun and then put it away".   Hmmm... not likely!  2 or 3 days later and I've added all the under frame detail and after the alarm gear and vac pipes get added it'll go for painting. The thing that got me about it, was its ride through point work. They're Pendlenton-Mitchell sprung bogies with Comet cosmetic side frames. Once I had seen it glide along, I was bitten!. The truth is that dimensionally and from a standard of modelling basis, it doesn't hold a candle to a tarted up Hornby but thanks to Tony, I can welcome it to my family of carriages as a 'layout coach'.

Now where was I? Oh yes.. back to the signal box....

BTW, can you still get Pendlenton-Mitchell sprung bogies?

IMG_3894_crpd.jpg.f62e0926e1b3b1e6fa544c9ad4090592.jpg

So far as I am aware Pendleton-Mitchell sprung bogies are available through Dave Bradwell. 

10 hours ago, robertcwp said:

Is there a date for this photo please?

It's hard to make out the exact formation but it looks like Summer 1964 after the RU had been replaced by an RUO and RKB and the separate buffet car had been removed but before the Thompson first with ladies' retiring room had given way to a Mark II FK. At this time, the up Flying Scotsman set returned north same day on the 1805 to Newcastle 'The North Eastern'. Next day it worked south on the 0750 from Newcastle 'The North  Eastern' and then formed the down 'Heart of Midlothian' (1400 from King's Cross to Edinburgh). There were two sets in circuit. Workings differed at the weekend. My copy of the Summer 1964 East Coast Carriage Workings has handwritten amendments showing formation changes.

There was no date, Robert,

But I surmised summer 1964. 

Good to see you over the weekend. I'll see what I can get for those locos of yours.

Regards,

Tony. 

9 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I feel in the wrong league with all this talk about sprung and compensated bogies, when all I use is Hornby ones under my cut and shut Railroad coaches I am building at the moment.

A diagram 191 Brake Second Open, I have the sliding ventilators to add to the windows, fit the roof, fill in the gaps add some beading , and make all the underframe bits and bobs.

The corridor side of a diagram 115 SK, The windows corridor windows on the Railroad coaches have been made to fit their short length so there is quite a lot of cutting and shutting to get them right and the coach the correct length. Oddly the compartments are the right sizes, the missing length is taken out in the lavatories. 

For more photos , and a repeat of these two please see my Sheffield Exchange thread.

'I feel in the wrong league with all this talk about sprung and compensated bogies,'

Why should you feel that, Clive?

There isn't a compensated/sprung bogie under any of Bytham's 250+ carriages.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

It's difficult (or I find it so) to rate model railway shows in order of preference. I go to so many, as a loco-doctor/demonstrator, and each one has its own special place in my 'like' list. 

That said, it was Mo's and my privilege to be invited to Raillwells in the above capacity for the first time over the weekend. I've been there with Stoke Summit and Charwelton, but not before in the capacity described. 

What a wonderful event, set in England's smallest city, adjacent to the second best cathedral in the realm (Lincoln just beats Wells). How friendly (not that other shows aren't), and a show aimed at real modellers - those who make things. The trade reflected this, and so did the layouts. 

Speaking of the layouts, I managed to get some shots of Nigel Ashton's exquisite 2mm FS Llangerisech.

789847846_Llangerisech05.jpg.6f3a43cc35ea7b089db588630dd40680.jpg

1911787924_Llangerisech07.jpg.5ad0ef5ae80119dead62b7750fd040b6.jpg

I demonstrated plenty of my model-making techniques at my stand...................

1374644473_Mystand01.jpg.cb1d9161fbb437a74ef8c92670aa214e.jpg

I only had a couple of locos to examine (both kit-built), because it's not the sort of event where folk bring 60+ year old Tri-ang locos to be fixed. 

1658921017_Mystand02Parksidevan.jpg.fa2a1ec5349432c8de76be1e9952377d.jpg

The Parkside O Gauge van was commented on with favour.

1624008234_Mystand03517Class.jpg.a301f0c7bab01d3656a4afec89f136b5.jpg

And an expert on 517s thought this was 'excellent'. Thanks Dave. 

876715719_Mystand04K1.jpg.c8b749d2f668b3c81492190678b66c62.jpg

The two new DJH motor/gearboxes aroused plenty of interest as well.

Thanks to my ministrations and donations, Mo and I made over £170.00 for CRUK (particular thanks, Sandra, for your donation of models). 

May I please thank all those with whom I spoke? Particularly Ross - a rare breed these days; a 22 year old modeller! Keen as mustard and a future 'pupil'. 

May I also thank Chris Challis and his team for organising such a splendid show? 

Edited by Tony Wright
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

'I feel in the wrong league with all this talk about sprung and compensated bogies,'

Why should you feel that, Clive?

There isn't a compensated/sprung bogie under any of Bytham's 250+ carriages.

Regards,

Tony. 

Hello Tony

It is my cheap, cheerful and crude attempt at making some Gresley coaches that are not available RTR wise from carriages I only purchased for the bogies compared with the sophisticated kits that others are presenting on here.   Not just others have bouncy bits and I don't.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Definitely not in the wrong league with all your ingenious creations, Clive.  But modelling in P4 requires you to spring or compensate stock unless your track is 100% perfect. Since changing to EM from P4 around 2003, I've simply taken with me the experience of some of the other advantages you get for the extra work involved and used them occasionally for my EM modelling. But for the sake of time, I now mainly use rigid under frames for  wagons, Hornby bogies on my RTR tarted up carriages etc.....  And also cutting and shutting as well occasionally when required. And very often the best satisfaction for me comes when I've taken a dimensionally challenged RTR model and made it look right. It so happened that in this case, the free running and gliding through pointwork of these bogies, made me stop and think about the possibility of using them to improve the running of some of my heavier Kirk based stock which seem  to be a struggle for my tight curves.

Edited by Clem
Bl***y auto correct... paintwork! as if!
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Phil

Phil

Just thought I would add a photo of the prototype (tree). Just as in weathering or any other railway modelling it is much easier to copy the real thing. An Oak tree imagined probably wouldn't give the right shape you were referring to. I spotted this tree in Yorkshire when walking the Nitherdale Way. Full of character - might go back there to say thankyou!

Dave

DSC03989.JPG.d755b1c838fa7a4c116e0dfb5583a7b3.JPG

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Sweedy said:

So far as I am aware Pendleton-Mitchell sprung bogies are available through Dave Bradwell. 

Yes - I found them too, yesterday evening! Thanks for coming back to me on that! It suddenly clicked... North East .. Chris Pendlenton,,,,   Dave Bradwell!!    (Tempted to say Mornington Crescent). I'm really pleased they're still available but I'll also try out the Brassmasters ones at some stage too, given the opportunity. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Clive,

I'm pleased to see somebody else having a go at turning Margate Gresleyoids into genuine diagrams. I'm interested to see the luggage section extended by the cut and shut technique. Maybe I didn't look at enough diagrams, but I concluded that the narrowness of Hornby's panelling in that area made it impossible to get the right length and the right number of mouldings. That, combined with the number of brake composites that would have to be obtained and sacrificed in order to supply the panels, persuaded me to scratch build the larger part of each side of a longer luggage section.

Of course, you'll have to finished them in lined teak and alter the rest of the layout to suit.

Howlden 12 wheeled clerestories next.....

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

It's difficult (or I find it so) to rate model railway shows in order of preference. I go to so many, as a loco-doctor/demonstrator, and each one has its own special place in my 'like' list. 

That said, it was Mo's and my privilege to be invited to Raillwells in the above capacity for the first time over the weekend. I've been there with Stoke Summit and Charwelton, but not before in the capacity described. 

What a wonderful event, set in England's smallest city, adjacent to the second best cathedral in the realm (Lincoln just beats Wells). How friendly (not that other shows aren't), and a show aimed at real modellers - those who make things. The trade reflected this, and so did the layouts. 

Speaking of the layouts, I managed to get some shots of Nigel Ashton's exquisite 2mm FS Llangerisech.

789847846_Llangerisech05.jpg.6f3a43cc35ea7b089db588630dd40680.jpg

1911787924_Llangerisech07.jpg.5ad0ef5ae80119dead62b7750fd040b6.jpg

I demonstrated plenty of my model-making techniques at my stand...................

1374644473_Mystand01.jpg.cb1d9161fbb437a74ef8c92670aa214e.jpg

I only had a couple of locos to examine (both kit-built), because it's not the sort of event where folk bring 60+ year old Tri-ang locos to be fixed. 

1658921017_Mystand02Parksidevan.jpg.fa2a1ec5349432c8de76be1e9952377d.jpg

The Parkside O Gauge van was commented on with favour.

1624008234_Mystand03517Class.jpg.a301f0c7bab01d3656a4afec89f136b5.jpg

And an expert on 517s thought this was 'excellent'. Thanks Dave. 

876715719_Mystand04K1.jpg.c8b749d2f668b3c81492190678b66c62.jpg

The two new DJH motor/gearboxes aroused plenty of interest as well.

Thanks to my ministrations and donations, Mo and I made over £170.00 for CRUK (particular thanks, Sandra, for your donation of models). 

May I please thank all those with whom I spoke? Particularly Scott - a rare breed these days; a 22 year old modeller! Keen as mustard and a future 'pupil'. 

May I also thank Chris Challis and his team for organising such a splendid show? 

I visited Railwells last year for the first (and, so far, only) time. I, too, enjoyed it immensely. I got there too late for the big breakfast rendezvous but did enjoy tea and cakes with a bunch of reprobates highly-skilled and amiable RMwebbers.