Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, grob1234 said:

People will laugh and tut, but I have used cheap coca cola. It's very effective at removing tarnish. Just give it a good wash in clean warm water after, and dry quickly to avoid water marks.

That’ll be the phosphoric acid component of your cheap cola at work. 

• Agree 4

23 minutes ago, grob1234 said:

My Silver jubilee rake got a good dunking in cola prior to painting. 

I’m not tight enough to drink the coke after though!!

34BED623-E1C1-43BD-BD13-55F12CE62624.jpeg

Edit: I hadn't completed the ride height adjustment here.

Sorry for the 'kitchen' photo. It's too long to fit in my studio!

Pandemic permitting, Tom,

You'll have to bring it over and we'll get a shot of the whole thing on Little Bytham.

It looks superb.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Pandemic permitting, Tom,

You'll have to bring it over and we'll get a shot of the whole thing on Little Bytham.

It looks superb.

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you Tony, I'd love that.

This set might even work, I cunningly fitted OO wheels instead of P4... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, grob1234 said:

Not the best picture perhaps, but at least I'm able to practise some off-set lining using my bow-compasses:

IMG_6568.JPG.2606277834f4dee80d90ada72f119225.JPG

Without doubt the hardest bit is the cab front. I'm tackling that with a brush...

Nice job Tom. You should be able to get much of the way round the cab front with the bow pen, leaving just the end parts to do with the brush.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 minutes ago, GH in EM and O said:

Nice job Tom. You should be able to get much of the way round the cab front with the bow pen, leaving just the end parts to do with the brush.

Thanks Geoff, its the windows and behind the ross pops that are the tricky bits. I'm getting there slowly though :)

14 hours ago, polybear said:

It's a game that's slower than a Koala, the aim of which appears to be the member of one team trying to take the head off a member of the other team using a ball that's as hard as a house brick.

Gone.....

I believe Robin Williams defined it as Baseball on Valium

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grob1234 said:

My Silver jubilee rake got a good dunking in cola prior to painting. 

I’m not tight enough to drink the coke after though!!

34BED623-E1C1-43BD-BD13-55F12CE62624.jpeg

Edit: I hadn't completed the ride height adjustment here.

Sorry for the 'kitchen' photo. It's too long to fit in my studio!

Stunning!

I see we have a new reaction thingy of a round of applause. A fine candidate for it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 5

I especially like the view of the K1 above the huts Tony, as well as the view of the trains crossing. The muted colours make it look very lifelike and the natural viewpoint of seeing trains from a lower level between buildings from a distance works so well. That's a huge arch under the M&GN line. How high is it? So there was a big change to the village in '59, station and M&GN closing in the same year. Was there a replacement bus service?

Thoroughly enjoyable!

Best Regards

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

I've just noticed we've reached Grouping. Only another 25 pages and we're at Nationalisation. They'll be gone in the blink of an eye!

I always look at the post numbers on the "New content" list.

We are presently working through the former LMS 8F class.

Will there be some sort of extra kudos attached to post numbers like 60103 or 60022?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Amazing that the Station Road bridge is still standing intact after all these years.  So much of our national railway infrastructure has completely disappeared since Dr Beeching had his day.  

13 minutes ago, dibateg said:

I especially like the view of the K1 above the huts Tony, as well as the view of the trains crossing. The muted colours make it look very lifelike and the natural viewpoint of seeing trains from a lower level between buildings from a distance works so well. That's a huge arch under the M&GN line. How high is it? So there was a big change to the village in '59, station and M&GN closing in the same year. Was there a replacement bus service?

Thoroughly enjoyable!

Best Regards

Tony

Many thanks Tony,

The colour palette was deliberately muted, though some of the scatter has had to be 'refreshed in the last 12 years.

How high is the bridge in Station Road?

1011578497_05BStationRoadBridge6.6.jpg.5e2d202284fcfa850682d20c9ef244b8.jpg

Off the top of my head, I don't know.

When Ian Wilson built it he counted bricks, having measured one (which, by the way, were made not far from where we used to live, in the Black Country). 

Made of engineers' bricks, it's a magnificent structure and is really a 'tunnel' bridge, with at least a third more height above the parapet. It was re-pointed (in part) a few years ago, and from time to time the trees are cut back (but not cut down) around it. It would clearly be more expensive to demolish it than just maintain it. 

One of the 'delights' in modelling Little Bytham is the amount of railway which is above 'baseboard level'. The MR/M&GNR bit, in particular, is almost all above the mean level. 

At the south end, Station Road is higher than the main line but at the north end it's below. The two are level at the station. Rob Kinsey plotted all the relative heights and Norman Turner cut all the baseboard formers to suit. What a duo! All I did was make the roadbed from MDF and glued/pinned it in place. 

One still sees so many 'flat earth' layouts at shows and in the press. Fine if that suits the prototype (though even railways in the fens have to cross over water courses). There must be just as many bridges which carry railways above other routes as there are which take them below. 

Interestingly, when I measured Stoke Tunnel's portal, I borrowed the late Pete Lander's black and white surveyor's two-metre stick and just propped it against a wing wall and took a picture, taking dimensions from that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

23 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Amazing that the Station Road bridge is still standing intact after all these years.  So much of our national railway infrastructure has completely disappeared since Dr Beeching had his day.  

Good afternoon Phil,

Station Road bridge ceased to carry trains prior to Dr. Beeching's axe. 

The line was closed at the end of February 1959, and the track lifted within a few months. Local youths saw off the signal box in the hot summer of 1959 by setting it ablaze, and the girder bridge was demolished at the end of the cruel winter of 1963. 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Interestingly, when I measured Stoke Tunnel's portal, I borrowed the late Pete Lander's black and white surveyor's two-metre stick and just propped it against a wing wall and took a picture, taking dimensions from that. 

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

Please. It is not a 'two metre stick'. It is called a ranging rod. Handy for eyeing in straight lines, and also point forward for getting through crowds!

Lloyd

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

Please. It is not a 'two metre stick'. It is called a ranging rod. Handy for eyeing in straight lines, and also point forward for getting through crowds!

Lloyd

Good evening Lloyd,

I'm not a surveyor, and what I borrowed looked exactly like a two metre 'stick', divided into equal numbers of black and white segments. 

If I'd described it (correctly) as a ranging rod (not that I knew that's what it was called), I wonder how many would have understood exactly what I meant?

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Lloyd,

I'm not a surveyor, and what I borrowed looked exactly like a two metre 'stick', divided into equal numbers of black and white segments. 

If I'd described it (correctly) as a ranging rod (not that I knew that's what it was called), I wonder how many would have understood exactly what I meant?

Regards,

Tony. 

It is one Osman long

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Lloyd,

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony

Very good point. It is just that I used to get annoyed when students studying surveying used such terms.

Lloyd

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

Tony

Very good point. It is just that I used to get annoyed when students studying surveying used such terms.

Lloyd

You could always say that you used a ranging rod, which is a 2m long measuring instrument used by surveyors. That covers the correct terminology and explains it to those who don't know what one is.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1