Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wright writes.....

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Chamby said:

And a decade (eg: eighties), century (eg: twentieth) and millennium are not proper nouns, but era’s (eg: Edwardian) and epoch’s (eg: Cretaceous) are.  

A year is not, but Anno Domini is...  don’t you just love the English language!

Edwardian, whilst properly capitalised, is not a noun, proper or otherwise.

I have always believed that the major advantage of being English is not having to learn it as a foreign language.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

13 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

I agree Tony!

66364D88-DFCC-460A-AFA8-4EBDEEA79257.jpeg.e2571fb49ce7a11a1ac1ccd744af1e5c.jpeg

This was created from cutting and shutting Kirk kits. it took a lot of cuts and is not the finest model, but I enjoyed the challenge of making it. It’s written up on my workbench thread starting here:

What strikes me most about the BR branding on this vehicle (both prototype and model) is the position of 'Kitchen Car', below the lower panel central beading. 

Was this unique? Even in carmine/cream (where there was less space), the lettering tended to be above

Regards,

Tony.  

• RMweb Premium

Tony,

I can’t comment on whether it was unique, but certainly unusual.

The other point about this livery is the apparent lack iof lining. We discussed at the time I was building it whether the lining was there but indistinct or whether the vehicle was in coach brown livery. But that is unlikely if we believe the 1957 date. I went with unlined maroon as the most likely unusual livery, but I can’t be sure this is right.

Regards

Andy

Edited by thegreenhowards
Grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 1

55 minutes ago, Chamby said:

And a decade (eg: eighties), century (eg: twentieth) and millennium are not proper nouns, but era’s (eg: Edwardian) and epoch’s (eg: Cretaceous) are.  

A year is not, but Anno Domini is...  don’t you just love the English language!

It's probably best if any more 'English' discussions are kept to PMs (even though I'm responsible for starting it all up again).

That said, why has the 'blight' of incorrect apostrophes become so prominent in English? Why is it now so common that plurals are granted apostrophes? One sees references to 'Pacific's' when it's not singularly possessive, but plural. It makes me rather cross! Isn't there some (splendid) guy going around correcting all the incorrect apostrophes on signs? 

In my case, the most-recent expression of incorrect apostrophe usage occurred in my driving through rural Norfolk to visit our younger son in Norwich. A sign by the side of the road proclaimed (in dribbled paint) 'DEANS LOG'S'! 

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Edwardian, whilst properly capitalised, is not a noun, proper or otherwise.

It can be an adjectival noun, as in "He was an Edwardian". Presumably it is capitalised because it is derived from Edward. That doesn't explain Cretaceous though.

Dare I ask how folk pronounce "Edwardian"?

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It can be an adjectival noun, as in "He was an Edwardian". Presumably it is capitalised because it is derived from Edward. That doesn't explain Cretaceous though.

You know nuffing, they are called Teddy Boys.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

49 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Dame Maggie Smith pronounced it 'Ed-whar-dee-yan' in an episode of Downton Abbey. I presume there had been some research behind that choice.

I'd say 'Ed-ward' rather than 'Ed-whar'.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Anglian said:

Dame Maggie Smith pronounced it 'Ed-whar-dee-yan' in an episode of Downton Abbey. I presume there had been some research behind that choice.

I'd say 'Ed-ward' rather than 'Ed-whar'.

I pronounce it the same as the Dame it would seem. Get me, the posh boy!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I seem to be getting the hang of using the RSU. Still the odd excessive blob of solder cream, but the only "prep" I have done on these RDEB sides is to rub the brass with a scouring pad, soldered it, then rubbed it again to remove the carbon marks from where I have moved the probe.

1309769151_RDEBRSU.jpg.e33dede0fe300be9a21e4e5395e30268.jpg

The panels FEEL well attached but I guess the real test will be when I form the turnunder. I need to open out the hinge slots first and also do a bit of scratch brush work to remove the small bits of excess solder.

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I hadn't realised there was more than one way to say "Edwardian"

"Cretaceous" is a proper noun but a weak proper name, so would normally be prefixed e.g. by "The". Isn't that fascinating?

This is my first attempt at a 6-wheel Luggage Van. It's a D&S kit of an ex-NER version. The roof has yet to be affixed, and glazing and a few details are still to be added, and the bolts tightened to fix the body flush to the chassis. But you get the idea.

IMG_20200901_170223.jpg.5570263bb4427ad393f6382fa4d18c84.jpg

• Like 13

41 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Another loco I've made featuring cab doors and a fallplate.................

663879990_DJHSemi27onlayoutpanning.jpg.2008e6a6929fd3382c7150bf3606cf6e.jpg

The loco is built from a DJH kit and painted by Geoff Haynes. 

The gap 'twixt loco and tender is wider than wholly desirable, but these are very long locos and it's made to run on other systems as well as Little Bytham.

Its construction featured in the RM to coincide with the York Show this year, where it would have run on Shap. Next year?

Fingers crossed...

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Another loco I've made featuring cab doors and a fallplate.................

663879990_DJHSemi27onlayoutpanning.jpg.2008e6a6929fd3382c7150bf3606cf6e.jpg

The loco is built from a DJH kit and painted by Geoff Haynes. 

The gap 'twixt loco and tender is wider than wholly desirable, but these are very long locos and it's made to run on other systems as well as Little Bytham.

Its construction featured in the RM to coincide with the York Show this year, where it would have run on Shap. Next year?

One of the most beautiful locomotives ever built.

• Agree 4

I've only just started my first loco kit and already had a disastor. I've always seen people fit axle bushes with the flange on the outside of the chassis when building kits, yet after soldering the bearings in to my Judith Edge North British shunter i realised that the etched axelbox overlays were designed to fit over the opposite side of the bush. Bit of a rookie mistake, since if i'd looked closer that would have been fairly obvious. Unless the etched axleboxes are desinged to be soldered on to the flanges of the bushes, but surely that would cause them to stick out far too much?

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel W said:

I've only just started my first loco kit and already had a disastor. I've always seen people fit axle bushes with the flange on the outside of the chassis when building kits, yet after soldering the bearings in to my Judith Edge North British shunter i realised that the etched axelbox overlays were designed to fit over the opposite side of the bush. Bit of a rookie mistake, since if i'd looked closer that would have been fairly obvious. Unless the etched axleboxes are desinged to be soldered on to the flanges of the bushes, but surely that would cause them to stick out far too much?

Did you read the instructions?

• Funny 2