Liverpool Central Signal box

• RMweb Gold

Liverpool Central closed when the last Gateacre trains ran on 15 April 1972 although it lingered on in a closed form until 10 December that year when it closed completely.

The site was redeveloped as part of the Liverpool loop and so the station vanished from the landscape, but until the 1980s the signal box was left at the platform ends and one Saturday in 1978 I visited it.

post-6662-0-60414900-1358437786_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-39703800-1358439061_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for posting.........sure makes me feel my age. The Liverpool Central to Harwich trip was part of the journey to and from Germany when I was in the Army there.....over 50 years ago!

Liverpool Central`s platforms were used as a car park for several years following closure. I liked it as it was just a short walk to Lewis`s dept. store.........I was fascinated by the derelict overall-roof, disused platforms, tunnel-mouth and turntable-pit which all seemed so poignant.

Thanks for posting this.

I remember wandering across to it just a few days before closure, whilst waiting for the Gateacre train to arrive, & being shown round it by the 'bobby' on duty - just a few levers left in a box that once held a big frame. I was only a youngster, but such things do stick in the memory. The general desolation all around was very depressing.

Oh for a camera in those days...

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Visited there around 1971 when we were working on the Cheshire Lines. Sad sight even then. Reminded me of my previous visit to the station 10 years earlier when we thought it would never end, in the days when we could get the 0920Sun  Birmingham - Birkenhead as far as Rock Ferry then on to Central LL. Public transport was good back then. On 28 May 1961 we went shed hopping by bus to Bank Hall, Aintree, Walton-on-the-Hill, Edge Hill, Allerton, Speke and Brunswick before getting back to Rock Ferry in time for the Birkenhead - Paddington late train, which got us back to Birmingham for the last bus home.

An early plan I have (drawn by Mike Back) taken from drawing MT6/361/6: S&F plan of 12.2.1874 does not show any release crossovers in any of the platform roads.

It's also appears to be lacking a few FPLs on the departure roads and carries the comment "Station not to be fully opened until defects in platforms 3 -6 put right".

The signal box is shown on the up side of the line so the one in Dave's pics must be a replacement.

• RMweb Premium

The photos & the signal drawing are great to see - thanks for posting them. Were there ever any loco release arrangements in the platforms, or did everything have to be done by a station pilot?

Mark

There don't appear to be any in the photos on the Disused Stations site:

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/liverpool_central_hl/index.shtml

There certainly was a station pilot (before it was all DMUs!) In late LNER days the station pilot was an ex-GCR 2-4-2T and N5 0-6-2Ts were used in early BR days.

Simon

Thanks for that, Simon. I did wonder if there'd been arrangements in the early days of the station's life, but it appears not. I'm surprised about that; I'd have thought that at least one platform might have been so equipped.

Cheers

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Looking at old maps of the site I think that most of the platforms would only take a loco and about 5 or 6 bogie carriages, less for Mk1s. Positioning the train to release the incoming loco through a crossover would have completely locked up the station throat for several minutes each time, so it would be easier to put on another loco to go out or to use a station pilot to move the stock and release the train loco.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at old maps of the site I think that most of the platforms would only take a loco and about 5 or 6 bogie carriages, less for Mk1s. Positioning the train to release the incoming loco through a crossover would have completely locked up the station throat for several minutes each time, so it would be easier to put on another loco to go out or to use a station pilot to move the stock and release the train loco.

Most likely using turnover engines I would think - notwithstanding short platforms - although the layout with that middle road is quite well suited to using an engine to shunt release incoming train engines, especially on Platforms 1- 3.

• RMweb Premium

Platform 1 could take at least 8 Gresleys plus loco. There are a couple of c.1950 shots of the station in LMS Journal no.4. The Harwich boat train is in platform 1 (not all Gresley stock in this view), the N5 station pilot is on platform 2 with assorted parcel stock at the end of the middle road and LMS corridor stock is in pl 3. The last is possibly to form a Nottingham service (not sure offhand how long these were).

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Platforms 1 and 2 were quite a bit longer than the rest. From a quick glance at the 1939 CLC Carriage Workings listed on Robert Carroll's site, most of the regular trains were between 3 and 6 coaches except for some peak time services running 8-10. Some of the strengthenings shown would probably have needed local special instructions to get them in and out. Generally the length on Harwich trains seems to have been 5 plus strengthenings.

• RMweb Premium

Platforms 1 and 2 were quite a bit longer than the rest. From a quick glance at the 1939 CLC Carriage Workings listed on Robert Carroll's site, most of the regular trains were between 3 and 6 coaches except for some peak time services running 8-10. Some of the strengthenings shown would probably have needed local special instructions to get them in and out. Generally the length on Harwich trains seems to have been 5 plus strengthenings.

Apologies, I wasn't trying to suggest that your assessment was wrong.  I just happened to have the photos to hand and noted what they showed.   The Harwich train shown in the photo I referred to was it's booked length as this train seems to have tended to be longer (on this stretch) after the war than it had been pre-war.   I've never seen a photo of a train of CLC Gresley non-corridor twins at Liverpool Central.  It would be interesting to know how many of the platforms could accommodate the 4 pairs used at one time on some of the Liverpool-Manchester trains.

Simon  

Archived