Farish Announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Disappointing to note that the Graham Farish pages of the Bachmann website have been updated again (yesterday) and both the Duchess and A2 are now pushed back to an Oct/Nov delivery. This is very interesting as when I spoke to Graham Hubbard at the NGS AGM he told me the A2s were in production and due to be on the boat quite shortly at that point!!

The 4F 0-6-0s now have an expected date showing but are not due until Jan/Feb next year, so all in all a fairly thin time for steam modellers.

Ditto the new 31s.

The only slightly better news for transition/blue diesel era modellers is that the new 25s are due Sept/October.

Roy

Even worse for GWR modellers. They have not even started work on the Castle, 6400 and Autocoach while the Hawksworth coaches are only in the drawing room. 15 months and no progress! :(

I am wondering if the GWR stuff was a land grab against Dapol and they released the Hall and 5700/8750?

I have to agree it does seem a bit of a "land grab" looking at it now, I would have hoped the 64xx in particular would have been at a more advanced stage.

I have also noticed that there is mention on MRE Mag today (by Dennis Lovett in reply to a question about the LMS livery Jinty) that closure of Sanda-Kan and merger of two factories caused the delay with that one, but as I mention above I was told (I thought reliably given who it was) that the A2s were already in course of manufacture. I wonder if it is actually the reason for many of the dates being pushed back?...

I am also starting to wonder whether the lack at this point of any truly dynamic competition from Dapol has caused Bachmann to feel that they can slow the pace. The volume of any newly tooled N releases coming out of Chirk has pretty much ground to a halt - I do not think there has been anything for getting on for a year.

Maybe the arrival of DJM's products (when they do) will cause Bachmann to lift their game again?

Roy

One must hope so. I too am frustrated by the GWR situation, but I would sooner wait for a Farish model than have a Dapol one sooner. I have just lost all faith in Dapol's build quality. A land grab it certainly appears to have been, but I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

Says the man still waiting for the 64xx rather than buy a Dapol 57xx!

You have a point Roy, but I think Bachmann and Dapol are both consolidating their positions. Dapol are doing a lot of re-runs which seem to be popular. So many new models have been released its hard to keep up, by my reckoning, the last 10 years has seen more new british n gauge models released than the 35-odd years up to that point.  I'm happy to see a slow down in new releases if it means a higher quality model at the end - and time for the wallet to recover.

Most of the models I want to buy would be re-runs of existing items anyway;- mk.1's, mk.2's, 37's, 47's, 20ft, 9' railfreight wagons, the VGA van and the list goes on. So Bachmann's announcements this year have been great news for me at least, especially the railfreight red stripe 20. I know, I'm that boring! 

I didn't see the 31 mentioned either, it's the only new release I'd want. Just saw it in your earlier post, Roy.

Carl

I have to agree it does seem a bit of a "land grab" looking at it now, I would have hoped the 64xx in particular would have been at a more advanced stage.

I have also noticed that there is mention on MRE Mag today (by Dennis Lovett in reply to a question about the LMS livery Jinty) that closure of Sanda-Kan and merger of two factories caused the delay with that one, but as I mention above I was told (I thought reliably given who it was) that the A2s were already in course of manufacture. I wonder if it is actually the reason for many of the dates being pushed back?...

I am also starting to wonder whether the lack at this point of any truly dynamic competition from Dapol has caused Bachmann to feel that they can slow the pace. The volume of any newly tooled N releases coming out of Chirk has pretty much ground to a halt - I do not think there has been anything for getting on for a year.

Maybe the arrival of DJM's products (when they do) will cause Bachmann to lift their game again?

Roy

Hi Carl

As far as announcing anything more that is completely new is concerned I agree totally, especially given that some of the models announced last year are not even at CAD stage yet. I also agree that the growth in the N market and healthy competition between Bachmann and Dapol has delivered an incredible volume of new models. That growth had to slow at some point as it was never sustainable indefinitely, and the period of consolidation is logical.

However my issue regarding the A2 in particular is that we have seen decorated samples, indeed it was initially to have been released some months ago, and has been repeatedly pushed back. This one particularly disappoints me given that as I mentioned above I had been told by Bachmann at the NGS AGM that the locos were actually in production and on the shipping schedule!

Regards

Roy

I think Bachmann, Hornby and Dapol are all suffering the same woes it has perhaps been less visible with Bachmann but they've now they have entered the same space as the others.

I don't think they would have slowed development on purpose, having Dapol in a bad place would have been a clear chance for Farish to capitalise and get the cash from punters that might otherwise have gone to Dapol.

• 1 month later...

I am looking forward to the Hawksworths too. Any idea how long from EP to available in the shops?

I think its at least a year if not more. I seem to remember the EPs for the J39 apperaing and then waiting forever for it to turn up in the shops.

I just checked and the CCT EPs appeared around Nov 2013 and they are scheduled to be available around Nov/Dec 2014.

I'm normally fairly patient and level headed, but I want those B vans NOW  :no:

Archived