Farish Announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Great news about the MK2F air cons! And nice to see they are doing both blue/grey and intercity liveried ones too (hopefully executive)

The Mark 2F coaches will be in INTERCITY (swallow) livery

The RFO (12xx) was launched in that livery, and it also allows Farish to cover the RLO (67xx) in the future, although a simple renumber will cover that!

The Mark 2F coaches will be in INTERCITY (swallow) livery

The RFO (12xx) was launched in that livery, and it also allows Farish to cover the RLO (67xx) in the future, although a simple renumber will cover that!

I take it  these will be re-tooled versions with the correct underframe detailing? Shame they are not executive liveried, but this could be changed by a quick respray and new decals.

I take it  these will be re-tooled versions with the correct underframe detailing? Shame they are not executive liveried, but this could be changed by a quick respray and new decals.

I assume so, as the latest Mark 2A is a vast improvement which includes an interior (at last)

There would be no need to respray, simply use a Fibre Glass pencil to remove the INTERCITY logo and numbers, they should lift very easily

I also note a £2 difference between the FO/TSO and DBSO

Hopefully this suggests the DBSO is DCC ready; yet to be confirmed

Even if it was a difference of £10 I would still pay it...

Interesting to note that the Hawksworth coaches are only released in one livery initially, with BR maroon and (possibly) blue/grey presumably to follow later.

Maroon is an obvious choice but there are some others. Some Hawksworth coaches were built before nationalisation and so were delivered in proper GWR chocolate and cream. I model the post-war setting so a couple of these to mix in with the colletts would be very welcome.

At least 2 of the full brakes (W324 and W325) were delivered in unlined Crimson. I am not sure why they did not get crimson and cream like the others (maybe they were intended for parcels work?). Fortunately this livery is very easy to paint so if Farish do not release it I will do a repaint myself.

Farish do a decent job of getting models out within 18-24 months of them being anounced. There's very little outstanding from last year's catalogue that hasn't made an appearence (if only as an EP in the display case).

I think you'll find the Ivatt Mickey Mouse 2MT was quite a few years before the EP and is still awaited, and that the class 101 was nearly a decade. But the recent Dapol 2-8-0 was announced in 2008 so they're probably both as bad as each other. It's a matter of having to sit back, with fingers crossed, and waiting.

G.

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll find the Ivatt Mickey Mouse 2MT was quite a few years before the EP and is still awaited, and that the class 101 was nearly a decade.

G.

The 2MT was the last of the announced for announcements sake models though, and suffered a further delay due to difficulties getting a mechanism into such a small tender, a problem only solved thanks to the new coreless motor now found driving the loco. The 101 was delayed by the decision to start from scratch rather than use the appalling (by modern standards) old Poole tooling. I personally believe both these models have benefitted from the delay in their production, and those modellers who have had the patience to wait it out have benefited from better models.

In the last couple of years things seem to have turned up more or less when expected (but correct me if I'm wrong!) and we certainly haven't seen any delays comparable to those mentioned, or indeed cancelations such as the 9F or Class 222.

Tom.

Only just noticed that the BR suburban coaches are to be released in blue livery - KX suburban services here we go  :locomotive:

Please Mr Bachmann can we have the Class 105 Cravens DMUs too - you know it makes sense ;)

Its interesting how much highly regional stuff has appeared this time - McDuffs, DBSOs, blue suburbans etc.

Alan

The 2MT was the last of the announced for announcements sake models though, and suffered a further delay due to difficulties getting a mechanism into such a small tender, a problem only solved thanks to the new coreless motor now found driving the loco. The 101 was delayed by the decision to start from scratch rather than use the appalling (by modern standards) old Poole tooling. I personally believe both these models have benefitted from the delay in their production, and those modellers who have had the patience to wait it out have benefited from better models.

In the last couple of years things seem to have turned up more or less when expected (but correct me if I'm wrong!) and we certainly haven't seen any delays comparable to those mentioned, or indeed cancelations such as the 9F or Class 222.

Tom.

Of course there'll alway be reasons/excuses for delays (and cancellations) but it doesn't negate that they happened.

On top of the Farish 9F (due to the Dapol version?) and 222 Meridian/Pioneer (some sort of reason/excuse was given) there has also been, I think, the original 57xx Pannier chassis upgrade (assume cancelled due to Dapol version and now superceded by the 94xx variant announcement) and I seem to recall a vague promise to upgrade to Blue Riband status for the V2 and electrics, plus there have also been the Dapol class 92 and Pendolino (put on the back burner and not cancelled I understand). However, in general, most things eventually get released if we're prepared to wait long enough and overall the rate of new realeases has without doubt increased over the years.

G.

It's a nice list of new models and people are justifiably excited by it.  I certainly am.

But I am curious about what people think about the price increases.  It's not as easy to compare last years prices with those just announced as it might seem because of "added value" on some of the older models.  For instance, all the announced Peaks and majority of Class 37s are to be weathered, not "pristine."  There seems to be about a £10 premium added to all the models that will come weathered.  And it gets muddier.  When I compare prices on the Hatton's website (which we know are discounted compared to rrp) for the previous run of Class 47s to the announced run of (unweathered) 47s, prices have gone from £83 to £93.  Yet prices on the Farish website show only a £4 increase in rrp - but I don't know if Farish have increased the prices on its website for the old models to make it appear the new models will not be that much more expensive.  I note Hattons was selling the last run of 08 shunters for £56 but lists the new run at £65 (for the unweathered rail blue one).

My personal income is not increasing 10% per year, which is what seems to be the amount of the price increase for at least some of these models.  For models whose costs were largely ammortized a long time ago (e.g. the Peaks), the price increases seem a bit steep.  Even deducting £10 quid for the factory weathering (which I don't want anyway), the price of the announced Peaks on Hattons site would be £83, which is still up at least £7 over the previous releases.

I get the fact that nothing ever gets cheaper, that the price increase for older models helps defer the costs of new models and that N is a smaller market than OO so there are fewer units over which to recoup costs - etc. etc.  But except for models of prototypes that were previously not available (eg. the 25/1), I unfortunately don't expect to be buying much of what has been announced.  For instance, I can't justify paying £93 for another Peak in a new livery when the ones I bought six years ago for £59 (that's about a 60% price increase over 6 years) are perfectly fine.  Bargain sales of models that couldn't be shifted at their original asking prices are going to become even more important for me and others, I'm sure.

I have read that real honest to goodness modelling has declined because RTR models have become so good but I have to I wonder if eventually the cost of new models will reach such a ridiculous point that out of necessity people will start modifying what they already have in order to more cheaply obtain a model of the prototype they want to run.

Matt

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that Bachmann recently introduced the policy whereby new models may only be discounted by 15% in the first 8 weeks after release. That would explain the difference in Hattons prices between previous versions of class 47 and the latest announcements.

Of course you could wait until after the 8 week period has passed, but then you run the risk of missing out if demand is high enough for stockists to sell out within that period.

Failing that there is always ebay, but it seems N gauge bargains there are few and far between these days.

Tom.

Don't forget that Bachmann recently introduced the policy whereby new models may only be discounted by 15% in the first 8 weeks after release. That would explain the difference in Hattons prices between previous versions of class 47 and the latest announcements.

Of course you could wait until after the 8 week period has passed, but then you run the risk of missing out if demand is high enough for stockists to sell out within that period.

Failing that there is always ebay, but it seems N gauge bargains there are few and far between these days.

Tom.

I had not heard about this and I genuinely thank you for mentioning it as I will now be sure to wait more than 8 weeks after release.  There would be no guarantee the prices would be further discounted after that time, of course, but it would be interesting to see if they were.  If I missed out, so be it.  These models are luxuries, not necessities, after all.  But given the global internet marketplace these days, I think it's actually pretty hard to miss out on anything.  I live in California but still bought a new Peco Collett 0-6-0 on ebay last month and didn't pay a premium price for it, even though that model has been out of production a while.

Over the past three or four months I've noticed several online discount shops (Model Railways Direct, Hattons, Rails of Sheffied, Kernow MRC) have been offering some really significant bargains.  I've seen Dapol Britannias, Farish Standard 4MTs, Peaks, Class 14s and Class 50s for less than £50, Farish Warships for less than £60, Dapol Class 26s, Farish Royal Scots, B1s, and "fixed ride height" Farish Class 47s for less than £70, Dapol A3s for less than £80, and Farish A1s for less than £90.  As best I can tell from what I've read on various online boards (and some common sense), a lot of these models were new but stale (some models were clearly 2 or 3 years old) stock that at least Bachmann (I don't know about Dapol) needed to sell off because new liveries of the same models are to be issued soon.

Given that a model that's been sitting in its box for 2 or 3 years in a warehouse is still new and given the discounts I've noticed over the past few months, my plan to beat these price increases is to wait until this current crop of newly announced models (the 25/1 excepted perhaps) become yesterday's news and are discounted to make way for the next batch of liveries that are sure to be issued in a couple years.

Matt

where did you find those class 14's?? only ask as I'm after another one :P

Google is your friend! Not quite as cheap as they were but Blue ones start new at around £52.

http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/products.php?ProductID=9684&Title=Graham+Farish+Class+14+14029+BR+Blue+with+Wasp+Stripes&CatID=11&SubCatID=139&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=comparisonshopping

Green ones are a bit more. Please note I have not used the above retailer and I am not vouching for them. They were just the cheapest listed.

Yes i was going to mention the Bachmann no discount bit. Ive read previously that it applies to new models, so will that include everything here or will some of these in the pipeline ones eg class 70 escape?

Just wondered where the cut off point is and whether Bachmann would be so kind as to tell us the dates for each model that the 8 weeks starts from.

Fwiw my take is that Dapol stuff is a buy it now due to limited production. Im quite happy to wait for farish to go cheaper as they don't seem to sell out as quickly.

Call me a cynical tightwad but with things how they are (financially) the hobby has gone right down my list of priorities.

Great news about the MK2F air cons! And nice to see they are doing both blue/grey and intercity liveried ones too (hopefully executive) which will fit nicely into my period modelled. Better start saving now as I'd like to buy quite a few of these. Looking forward to the class 25 too! :sungum:

Hope the class 25 is based on the current N gauge class 24, not on the OO gauge class 25??? Certainly have been loooking forward to the class 25 for several years now.

where did you find those class 14's?? only ask as I'm after another one :P

A bit OT, but having checked my purchase confirmations in my emailbox I can tell you I purchased a green Class 14 D9555 from Hattons on December 13, 2012 for £49.00.  Several online shops seemed to start really trying to unload stock beginning in December.  The bargains are harder to find at the moment.

And yes, it's much harder to find bargains on Dapol compared to Farish - but not impossible.  I missed out on the £48 Brittanias that lasted only a day or two at Model Railways Direct in early December but I did get a £79.95 A3 from Rails of Sheffied in early January.  It's a real gem, too.

Matt

And yes, it's much harder to find bargains on Dapol compared to Farish - but not impossible.

Probably due to the smaller production batches meaning stock does not hang around so long. Mind you, part of it is a self-fulfilling prophecy. People do not expect Dapol stock to hang around long so they snap it up when it comes out.

The cheap Brits were from the 2nd or 3rd production run I think. Also the model being sold cheap was "Tornado". I suspect that did not sell well because it had been modelled with late crest but original pattern deflectors. This particular loco received modified deflectors with cut-outs before it received the late crest.

Mind you at £48 I was willing to do the work to correct it. In the end I did not have to as I found someone who wanted a late-crest tender for their Brit and we swapped tenders. :locomotive:

• RMweb Premium

Hello everybody!

Firstly I'd like to say "Woooo a MK2 BSO in intercity at last!" I've been waiting for one forever, and now I can complete my train. 

Secondly, I'm a bit confused as to why there aren't any coaches to go between the Scotrail DBSO and the class 47?  Did the MK2Fs run with the DBSOs or was that Mark 3s? 

There's obviously things I would have liked to see; but they might come next time.  But I'll definitely have a few MK2s and a seacow!  And maybe the 170... :D

Best get saving!

Simon

Archived