A Nod To Brent - a friendly thread, filled with frivolity, cream teas and pasties. Longing for the happy days in the South Hams 1947.

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

That was only some tuppenny ha'penny cross country thingy.  

The Suffern did not get involved with the real GWR trains from Paddington to Birkenhead  (which were at one time advertised in competition with the LNWR service and of course also included at one time a boat connection for the Isle of Man).  Also, rather oddly but in very GWR fashion there were at times not an equal number of trains in each direction - thus in the Winter of 1946 there were 6 weekday through trains from paddington to Birkenhead (although the 12.05 am off Padd was more of a van train than a passenger train) but only 4 through from Birkenhead to Padd. 

I think the " boat connection" was a ferry across the Mersey to the Landing Stage at Liverpool Pier Head . All the passenger vessels left from there. Ocean going Liners and ferries to Belfast and Dublin as well as the Isle of Man. The Landing Stage Liverpool was listed as the Terminus on some of the 1947 timetables.

• RMweb Premium

I , now I have a plethora to choose from.Everything but LNER !

What about a full 5 coach pigeon train down from the land of Geordies?  Or Eckie Thump Black puddings?

• RMweb Gold

Who's are the LMS coaches Rob I know the Full Brake is Bachmann but the others I can't place. 

Mr Nofu C'kallaboutem.

(not a pink team expert)

• RMweb Gold

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

I went to edit and the W button got stuck and forgot what I had put, senior moment or what.

B.O.Locks

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Premium

I think the " boat connection" was a ferry across the Mersey to the Landing Stage at Liverpool Pier Head . All the passenger vessels left from there. Ocean going Liners and ferries to Belfast and Dublin as well as the Isle of Man. The Landing Stage Liverpool was listed as the Terminus on some of the 1947 timetables.

The GWR trains would leave Paddington with a King or a Castle and get as far as Wolverhampton L.L. where they'd shed a few coaches like the diner, as well as the train engine, and on with any sort of 460, Counties were quite common. Then off for a tour of Welsh borderland to get to Chester, where they terminated in the bay. For the last leg to Birkenhead another engine came on the back, maybe a GWR prairie, but just as possibly a LMS 264T, all highly scruffy.

The GWR trains terminated at the old Woodside station, a neat station square on to the Mersey with arched roof. (Good contender for the Minories title) out of the doorway in the concourse, turn right, and down the covered bridge way on to the pontoon for the ferry service. These were really frequent, no hanging about, and over to the Pier Head. Off the pontoon bridge, turn left and along the quay road for several hundred yards, where you'd find the IoM boat. (If you were a Boy Scout lugging a big kitbag for summer camp it seemed a hell of a way) Beyond that there were the moorings for the big stuff, Cunarders for Canada up the St. Lawrence- possibly they did Boston from there? (For New York you went from Southampton) and the lovely white Canadian Pacific "Empresses" going the same way. For interest it was quite a good journey.

As mike says there was also the through set Birkenhead Bournemouth, via Oxford,( tuppeny hapenny - very cruel) As I said I liked it for the immaculate green turnout, three years after nationalisation I got to observe goings on at Charing Cross, and found the Kent Coast trains with Bulleid Pacifics just as scruffy as everybody else.

Robs LMS set on a PLymouth Manchester train was another interesting through working, when you get to the top of Filton bank, turn left, not right like today's cross country's, and off through the Tunnel for Pontypool Road, Shrewsbury and Crewe.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

. Off the pontoon bridge, turn left and along the quay road for several hundred yards, where you'd find the IoM boat. (If you were a Boy Scout lugging a big kitbag for summer camp it seemed a hell of a way) Beyond that there were the moorings for the big stuff, Cunarders for Canada

There's a joke about a Scouser who works for Cunard...........

• RMweb Premium

The full brake is a Comet kit built but the rest are Hornby.Talking of Hornby and I've done a few mods to my Star.No spokegate now. ;)

I see the motion silvering has been grubbied up - usual black paint marker pen or was this paint?  It's come out well and lets just enough base "shine" through to make it all look beleivable, unlike the original silver finish to the cylinder covers.

Did you use the Castle bogie in the end or did you re-wheel the original?

• RMweb Premium

There's a joke about a Scouser who works for Cunard...........

Didn't he offer a free trip to America for a young lady provided she ..er.. looked after him, and a few weeks, still not in America, on she discovered he actually worked for the ferry company? or is that another joke?

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Hi 81C

Do you have the same problem as me - your cat standing on your keyboard...?

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I went to edit and the W button got stuck and forgot what I had put, senior moment or what. :help:

B.O.Locks

Hi Simon here's your answer I edited the original post.  :crazy:

Edited by 81C

• RMweb Gold

Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford Horrocksford 

Don't know what went wrong there.

• RMweb Gold

Did you use the Castle bogie in the end or did you re-wheel the original?

I contacted Hornby customer services for a correct replacement and to be fair they came up trumps free of charge for me.Sebastien is the guy to contact if you want one.

• RMweb Premium

Didn't he offer a free trip to America for a young lady provided she ..er.. looked after him, and a few weeks, still not in America, on she discovered he actually worked for the ferry company? or is that another joke?

It's about a smart liner steward walking along the dockside in Liverpool and he meets a "stevie".......

and so it goes on until the steward says "I work for Cunard"  and the Stevie says "ey, so do I, but errrrrrr, no need to swear eh like whack, eh eh eh calm down"

• RMweb Premium

I contacted Hornby customer services for a correct replacement and to be fair they came up trumps free of charge for me.Sebastien is the guy to contact if you want one.

Thanks - I used Peter's Spares via Ebay.

Will fit it when I get home.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I went to edit and the W button got stuck and forgot what I had put, senior moment or what.

B.O.Locks

anchor ?

hat a difference toning down the shiny parts of the Star has made?