'Failed' preservation projects

nf3996

I'm trying to put together a list of 'failed' railway preservation projects in the UK and I was hoping RM Web members might be able to suggest a few. The criteria I am using are that a project must have been on an original railway site (ie. no green-field sites), it must have had rolling stock on that site, and it must have been open on at least one occasion to visits by society members or the public. As examples of what I am looking for, in the 1960s there was the Westerham Valley Railway Association's project to revive the Westerham branch in Kent, and the scheme at Droxford station on the Meon Valley line in Hampshire. I'd be pleased to hear of other candidiates (and thoughts on why they failed too).

Many thanks,

Alan

Depends a bit on what you mean by successful - I can think of one or two that have kept going but not really made any progress for some time. Not wishing to be mean but you have to ask how successful the East Kent is able to be, they have reopened the full extent of the line available to them but it just stops in a field with no prospect of going anywhere else, how will they attract visitors in the future? Steam might help them, although personally I quite like old dmu travel, but what are their prospects for the future, really?

They will have to find themselves a 'big project' sometime to get things really fired up - like an extension to somewhere ... anywhere ...

Guest 838rapid

South Yorkshire Railway - Meadowhall,Sheffield.

Was mainly a yard full of various locomotives but always held a few treasures,D9500,D3000 and D213

Radstock by the Somerset and Dorset Circle circa 1970 - 1973.

...and, arguably, the New Somerset Railway which aims to restore all of the 71 miles from Bath Green Park to Bournemouth West, give or take a lot of compulsory purchase orders plus some major housing demolition at Broadstone...

• RMweb Gold

Some say the Radstock to Frome line might yet be revived, but it looks rather moribund to be honest.

One other was an abortive attempt to preserve all or part of the Clevedon branch in the 1960s. Two 8750 panniers were earmarked and one even repainted in green and displayed at a Bath Road open day, but the scheme came to nothing and the panniers scrapped in the end.

What about the scheme at Bulmers, Hereford?

Wasn't one of the Ironstone branches near Grantham briefly operated as a preserved railway in the early 1970s (possibly the one from High Dyke)?

All of the schemes mentioned seem to have failed in their early stages (except for Dinting which simply moved to a different site). So you could argue that they just weren't viable in the long term - probably due to them not not having ownership of the site or a long term lease.

There was a plan, about 20 years ago, to reopen part of the Cheltenham-Banbury line between Kingham and Chipping Norton. I remember going on a fundraising trip with the founder of the group but I think they had a lot of objections from landowners. I don't think there was much more than a plan started though.

Steamtown Carnforth was open to the public at one time but is now a heritage depot albeit with the occasional open day (does that count?). 

Stretching a point a little, there was a steam loco, a Mk1 coach and a brake van on a couple of panels of track at Delph in the early 70s and I think an intention on the part of someone to reopen the branch (not sure what they would have done at the other end!).  I don't know if it was open in the accepted sense but I definitely had a ride on it at the age of about 7 and either me or my brother (probably) appears back to camera in one of Coachmann's books! 

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't one of the Ironstone branches near Grantham briefly operated as a preserved railway in the early 1970s (possibly the one from High Dyke)?

The original plan was the High Dyke branch, associated ironstone lines past Sewstern to the ex BR Bourne  to Saxby line and then along another ironstone line to Market Overton.

When it was found out how much it would cost to keep the main line connection at High Dyke that section was abandoned and consideration was given to relaying the line to Saxby.

The economic and political situation was such that the whole thing became uneconomic.  I recall it was not a simple decision at the time.  I remember a lot more but it is not relevant to this forum.

David

South Yorkshire Railway - Meadowhall,Sheffield.

Was mainly a yard full of various locomotives but always held a few treasures,D9500,D3000 and D213

Also 06003, 07001, 20096 and 26038 but this failed due to the local council not wanting to know about tourism and wanting the money from the Meadowhall Shopping Centre

Two projects near me that failed were Dinting and the railway at Padiham power station

• RMweb Premium

Riccarton Junction? There was a length of track and a Shark brakevan there. I photographed that track in 2005 and I hear that it's gone now and the site handed back to the Forestry Commission.

Archived