Jim’s “out and about with GBRf” thread

You made good time! 

My best one was work ringing me to ask if I could cover a shift.

"Yep, no problem, when and what time?"

"Erm now, get your uniform on and get here as quick as you can"

"riiiight"

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

re your remark about NR allowing the MOD to run early because it was light engine.

Is that a MOD security issue or what?

If it was an actual loaded train would it have been different and with the possessions

surely it must have been timed for diversions anyway?

then your remark about 'dodging the possessions'

whose job is it to work out the new route?

Presumably not yours - but obviously you need to 'sign' the route.

presumably GB know which routes you sign - but do NR?

thanks again for explaining life on the 'real railway'

Your input always helpful

regards

mike j

• RMweb Gold

It was just the fact it was light engine, if it was loaded it have just ran as booked, as I wouldn’t have wanted to run round twice

as for the route they wanted to hold me at stafford To take the booked route to bushbury but I just asked to go a different way which they agreed to, I originally asked to go via Cannock but that was shut so came up with a few alternatives that were also closed and ended up with the rugby route

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, mikejames said:

presumably GB know which routes you sign - but do NR?

thanks again for explaining life on the 'real railway'

Your input always helpful

regards

mike j

No NR don't generally. Always have to check before diverting off booked route.

Or just ask GBRf  if Jim's driving and then most places are fair game.

Andy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, big jim said:

I did wave honest! 

Horrocksford jn, Mick was lurking behind the wall

F74A71A6-96E0-4A06-B691-1A5BADE430C7.jpg

And the view from the aforementioned wall....

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

The Cov - Nuneaton branch is currently blocked due to a lorry carrying an excavator has become wedged underneath a bridge and it looks like it's got to be cut out as it's proper wedged in the bridge metalwork. The bridge in question is the one just after Coundon Road level crossing where the line speed is 20mph and before the viaduct. As it's a Code Red bridge this may go on for sometime. 

Cheers 

Colin 

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, mikejames said:

sorry to have to ask - but what is a code red bridge?

Don’t worry, I’m an insider and I don’t know for certain. 

Bridges are allocated ‘signal aspects’ which define who can give the go ahead for trains to commence running, Red is the most restrictive and (I think) requires a bridge engineer.  I know there are Amber and Double Amber which can be authorised by others if the damage is superficial and they have the appropriate training.  Precise details, I’m in the dark too!

Paul.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Don’t worry, I’m an insider and I don’t know for certain. 

Bridges are allocated ‘signal aspects’ which define who can give the go ahead for trains to commence running, Red is the most restrictive and (I think) requires a bridge engineer.  I know there are Amber and Double Amber which can be authorised by others if the damage is superficial and they have the appropriate training.  Precise details, I’m in the dark too!

Paul.

I'm only going on the email I received stating it was a code red bridge and that BSE must visit before any train movements go across the bridge as some of the metalwork underneath the bridge deck had been twisted 

The line is open again now but I thought Jim might be having another detour on his trip tonight hence I put the original comment up.

Cheers

Colin 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just watching it on open train maps and the local service is just setting off from Cov to nuneaton! 

The line being open will please the guy I relieve as he lives in Coventry so he can get off there in the morning, a few times it’s been diverted last minute and he’s had to get a taxi home from landor st! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, clachnaharry said:

Light loco disappears into fiddle yard. Excellent scenic break.

just beware of wagons running away unattended from the fiddle yard onto the layout 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I always find it amusing that we call something that weighs 127 tons a light engine! The PWay guys would not want a heavy engine on their track I suspect,

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, big jim said:

just beware of wagons running away unattended from the fiddle yard onto the layout 

The new ballast in the video is where the track was repaired

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/runaway-and-derailment-of-a-wagon-at-clitheroe

Edited by newbryford
  • Informative/Useful 3

21 hours ago, mikejames said:

sorry to have to ask - but what is a code red bridge?

as always thanks for taking time to advise us of the real railway world

regards

mike j

Each bridge is assessed by the structures engineeers and based on the type and construction, a risk assessment is done on the potential damage any bridge bash will inflict and what effect that has on the safety of running trains over that bridge. There are four catgories: Red, Amber, Double Amber and Green

Below is the simplified version. As I'm sure you can appreciate the rules are a little more complex than this and a lot depends on many factors before you even start to take into account the bridge classification with regards to what action to take with anything other than a red category bridge

Red: - All rail traffic stopped until an inspection is carried out

Amber: - A train driver can be asked to check the track alignment at the bridge and if all looks OK then trains can run at reduced speed over the bridge until it  is examined

Double Amber:- As amber but trains can then run at linespeed. These tend to be the more solid structures.

Green: - Carry on as if nothing happened.

There aren't any green bridges that I know about.

Andy

Edited by SM42
spelling
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Markmiller2008 said:

Jim,

I'm sat in the office at Banbury thinking i should have looked out when you arrived and given you a wave!

Mark

I did wonder if you were in this morning!

always tomorrow but I may be heading straight through depending on where my relief wants to get on