"Anything You Can do, I Can Do Better ! Robinson and Downes.

The rose window looks plain wrong Allan.  They were set up high on walls so that the sun would shine through and throw the image across the floor of the church/cathedral.  Yours is so close to the ground that the only time it would bathe the floor in coloured light would be very late or early in the day.

100% correct Andy. God knows that too that's why He melted mine !

Cheers.

Allan

I am sure it will be obvious to a lot of people, but not to me, not being very good at these things. How did you do the gravestones, please? They are very effective.

Stippled polyfilla over 2mm card then when dry dusted with spray matt black acrylic then when dry again lightly sanded over then cut into grave stone sized strips.

Cheers.

Allan.

• RMweb Premium

You have surpassed yourself with this church Allan. There's something foreboding about it. It's like you have somehow modeled a ghost without even trying. There's so much atmosphere there!

Regards Shaun.

Are you going to fit a chip for the bells Alan?

If this is for an exhibition layout likely to appear in my neck of the woods - Please NO! A couple of years in a bedsit opposite Broughton Parish Church in Edinburgh definitely hardened my heart against the charms of campanology! 

• Like 1

Hi Allan,

Definitely moving up a gear or three with these churches, the stonework really sets the whole building off.

On the matter of stonework I'm currently experimenting with Vallejo acrylics and Mig weathering powders which are my favoured mediums to try and imitate limestone for this tunnel which will make an appearance on my proposed early German layout. It's similar to that used on the infamous Box tunnels and I'm still in two minds about it. Any thoughts / comments are welcome as usual.

post-20303-0-19514200-1446653888_thumb.jpg

post-20303-0-97728700-1446653894_thumb.jpg

It is as yet unfinished and I keep walking away and returning to see if I still like it  :scratchhead:

p.s. the photographs were taken indoors lit with a daylight tube on my iPhone so please excuse the less than David Bailey quality (they are a fairly reasonable match though )

Grahame

• Like 2

Hi Allan,

Definitely moving up a gear or three with these churches, the stonework really sets the whole building off.

On the matter of stonework I'm currently experimenting with Vallejo acrylics and Mig weathering powders which are my favoured mediums to try and imitate limestone for this tunnel which will make an appearance on my proposed early German layout. It's similar to that used on the infamous Box tunnels and I'm still in two minds about it. Any thoughts / comments are welcome as usual.

attachicon.gifIMG_1468.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1469.jpg

It is as yet unfinished and I keep walking away and returning to see if I still like it  :scratchhead:

p.s. the photographs were taken indoors lit with a daylight tube on my iPhone so please excuse the less than David Bailey quality (they are a fairly reasonable match though )

Grahame

Well, from what I can see Grahame you've cracked it. Looks dead right to me . Keep it as it is for a while, move on then see how you feel about it later. You'll be suprised and wonder why the hell you was thinking of trying to improve it anyway. It happens to me just the same and really you've just got to know when to walk away from it. Everything always looks better in the morning !

Cheers.

Allan.

Edited by allan downes