Weathering

Guest 009matt

Really, how bad did locos in service get?? I have never seen anything this rusty apart from if it has been scrapped. It looks like a contagious disease is sporeading through the diesel collection. If more subtle, or in different places (they all look like they are suffereing in the smae places - more evidence for an infection) I think it could be good, but this is a little ott.

Matt

I must admit I did think the weathering was over scale and a little OTT, some good bits though on some of the locos. There is a lovely book called The art of weathering by Martyn Welch ISBN 1874103119. This is a must for any modeller. It covers steam, diesel, coaches and wagons, giving you all the techniques and methods to carry out the work

best

T

Yes, very succinctly put :D

Maybe my phraseology is a result of a few years on car forums!

like some of the X factor contestants who seem to be convinced they can sing like an angel, but clearly can't and are amazed when they are told that they're rubbish), but they don't tend to get too upset as they don't believe you! :D

That made me think of this :) -

Sing Like an Angel, Mitch Benn

Great live by the way!

I agree, however, that as soon as you start charging for something then you open yourself to criticism, especially if it is not to the standard that it should be.

Does make you wonder about those who have paid for the service. It also undermines professional model makers as a whole - I guess he won't rely on that to make a living whereas many out there do.

Hmmm;- Close, but no cigar, I think.. The amount & severity of rust would make the real thing structurally unsound,- if it was a car, you wouldn't even be allowed to drive it to the scrappy....

Never mind, it'll probably drive more custom to the likes of me....rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

Guest jim s-w

Yes, very succinctly put :D

I don't think you should ever feel bad about criticising somebody's work, as long as it's constructive and you are genuinely offering them advice about how to improve. Of course, there is always the risk that you'll upset them, but if they genuinely want to improve they'll generally accept it.

Of course there are sometimes those that are so blinkered (like some of the X factor contestants who seem to be convinced they can sing like an angel, but clearly can't and are amazed when they are told that they're rubbish), but they don't tend to get too upset as they don't believe you! :D

I agree, however, that as soon as you start charging for something then you open yourself to criticism, especially if it is not to the standard that it should be.

I have to agree chaps. Might appeal to people who dont look at the real thing as I suspect this guy doesnt! I mean I thought class 47 and 56 had fibreglass roof domes so why has he done them rusty? Perhaps they are metal but I cant ever recall seeing rust in this area.

Cheers

Jim

Not that I like to criticise, but some of this work is as others say, way over the top.

There were a couple of examples of (I presume) this chaps work at the recent Wigan exhibition. Even my mate (who isn't a Modeller) remarked about how overdone the Deltic looked.

In the Modellers defence I stated that maybe these examples were more a demonstartion of different techniques. An attempt to illustrate just what is possible.

Weathering is somewhat of a dark art that can take years to perfect. Some people seem naturals at it, but you can't just pick up an airbrush and start throwing dirty coloured paint at a model.

It does nothing to undermine a good professional, on the contrary it only enhances their skill and value. It's no different to a car mechanic or wedding photographer or any other skill you mention. The answer is in your first sentence above. Those that have paid and are happy, good luck to them, if he makes his living, or part of, doing work of that standard that's his business, it's not affecting anyone I know who models in the 'pro' capacity.

But if someone's first expereince of a 'professional' is poor, then they may think twice before going to someone else.

Plenty of other professions can suffer from a poor example - I know somereally good second hand car dealers but the odd dodgy one normaly sticks in the mind for most people.

• RMweb Premium

Well over the top modern BR locos class 33,37,37,47 never showed that amount of rusting when in service even when they were on depot for repair.

The best thing to do when you attempt weathering is to practice on an old body shell the Martin Welch book the art of weathering is a very good referance source as previous mentioned in the above posts i found this very usefull.

Seems a lot for ??31.00.

Gary

I must admit, even on the rustiest most knackered mineral wagon, I have never seen weathering quite like that! The only time I have ever seen paint peeling like that was when I sprayed Humbrol enamel onto a phoenix primer. That quantity of peeled paint would have fallen to the ground long ago and the metal worm would have been out and probably put holes in the side. I think this chap may be using the localised application of some form of noxious chemical to be getting the peeling paint effect, which is probably why it's over scale.

I once asked "hardjeff" for a price for a custom loco and got told to eff off too!

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the effects are good, but OTT.

The rusting and peeling effect is particularly good, but there is too much of it and it appears to be in the wrong places.

It would be of use along the rad room floor of a 37, or nose sides, as thats where they were prone to go (due to the floor drains getting blocked, and the rain channels in the bodywork below the cab windows.)

The weathering on the locos appears to be quite heavy, and it is generally applied, as opposed to where it counts, in louvres or around bogies, or the exhaust port.

If it was toned down a bit I think it would be more realistic.

The old maxim of 'less is more' applies here I think. Then again, it's 'extreme' weathering, so on that basis, it's probably about right!

One thing I don't see often in weathering is the 'wet' spots around filler caps and the like, where fuel has overflowed and run down the side, or even making locos look wet. Most weathering seems to assume as dry loco, same as most layouts are set in the mid summer. I did ponder possibly setting mine after rainfall, so some puddles could adorn the roads and the like. I'm still wiring, so it could happen yet!

• RMweb Premium

When I weather items I try to make use of as many colour photographs of the subject I am weathering. That way I have a good idea of what I am trying to achieve - trust me I could provide something as battered as some of the locos shown - but are they realistic?

I have had a look at the photos of "extreme" weathered locos and stock and would love to see some photos to convince me that they represent a model of a real loco or wagon. I did notice the Deltic at Wigan - when I saw the first Deltic to be scrapped at Doncaster it had been out in the yard for over 12 months and I can't recall it being as threadbare (or as rusty) as it was depicted in model form.

I will stick to my own techniques and rely on pictorial evidence for weathering locos and stock for both myself and my colleagues

The ex-LNER engine is a K3 from the Bachmann range - and no, not in any of the hundreds of photographs I have, have I ever seen a K3 in that sort of a condition, or any ex-LNER mogul for that matter. It is simply not realistic.

That said, the Flying Scotsman model wasn't realistic either - too dirty to be Scotsman!

I don't pretend to be a weathering expert, I am a beginner at best. But I know you could acheive a better level of finish with some restraint. Just looking at some of the weathering on RMweb will show realism, because of the subtlety of finish.

The method may be well done - re the rust - but there's too much of it, and as said, in all the wrong areas.

I'm afraid I must add to the consensus here - technical skill doubtless very high , but results grotesque and several scales too large. I've never seen anything remotely resembling such states , and don't believe equipment in such condition could operate.

What it looks like , to be blunt , is something out of a sci-fi film : "Network Rail - Alien Attack!" The Rust Heat Ray has evidently been deployed to devastating effect on Earthlings. Possibly he could use the techniques on a Kitmaster Stirling Single for a diorama depicting HG Wells' "War of the Worlds" , but I can't think of any other sensible applications in railway modelling

Hi :rolleyes:

Haven't been on this thread before! I was interested in all the comments about 'weathering' and how far should one go?

I personally always work from photo's and my preference is to use an airbrush. Remember your are detailing a scaled down model of the real thing - consequently you also have to scale-down the paint.

I thought it was interesting that some modellers use glossy paint to highlight spillages ie. oil etc. I personally prefer satin or even matt finishes. When I wish to simulate diesel and other leaks from loco's on the track bed I prefer to use satin colours as it is more in keeping with the surroundings. I have attatched a couple of pics of my own work.

Cheers, Bill.

post-3775-12643605105791_thumb.jpg

post-3775-12651262117337_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

An alternative is the late, lamented Southern Pacific which latterly only washed lights, glass and reporting numbers on its locos. I asked Topp Trains to do a weathering job on an SD45 that spent most of its life either on the Hill or on Tehachapi, providing a couple of shots of a Tunnel Motor as an indicator of what was required and Mike duly obliged:

Grot, grime and rust where the dynamic brake has toasted the paintwork. Because I couldn't find decent downward looking shots the roof isn't as well weathered as the flanks.

post-1516-0-40535200-1485010354_thumb.jpg

post-1516-0-74809900-1485010382_thumb.jpg

post-1516-0-95347000-1485010405_thumb.jpg

post-1516-0-60370100-1485010429_thumb.jpg

Archived