Weathering

As an illustration of skill and an advert for more commissions, that is truly impressive. I am concerned at the level of white scale shown on the B1(?). I cannot remember such scale in such quantities and, even if I was mistaken, not that colour. One wonders why the cylinder covers are so decorated with scale.

The coal wagon and 08 are really scrap line rather than service although I can recall some gronks getting bad before withdrawal but a severely rusting roof? I doubt it.

The 47 though is a masterpiece as is the 66. I suppose that a lot of experimentation has gone into those models.

My favourite is the last banana van. That is really first class. Exactly as it would have been towards the end of its life.

The rust and flaking paint effect is very good, but way overscale for OO - it'd be very good on a decrepit 7 or 10mm scale wagon. I'm not terribly impressed with the rest of it though, way too heavy and unconvincing.

• RMweb Premium

Just goes to show - prototypical corrosion mechanisms simply don't scale down.

I'm afraid that the rusting / peeling examples are, to my eyes at least, simply caricatures! :O

Look at some latterday photos of Barry scrapyard - the deterioration was, even after so many years, quite subtle. Certainly nothing like what we see here.

I remember extreme cases of hard water sludge on loco boilers, especially 9Fs. Whilst striking when you encountered them, they were again far more subtle than the illustrated models.

Sorry - not for me!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I agree - too much - too heavy and paint peels look like carpet folded back.

One thing tickled me - the way he tells you the loco has sound! I can't begin to imagine what that has to do with weathering. LOL

I do have to say though, it is definitely a skill, and this guy has it, he just goes too far.

• RMweb Premium

Agree, those rusted locos look like the are model locos made of steel just left out in the rain, very convincing at 1:1 but way overscale rust for even G scale I reckon, as has been said before it just shows that the chemical reaction of rust corrosion just doesn't scale down!

The 66 looks really good though........

Hmmm, definitely over the top with the peeling paint effects. From my (limited) experience, this is what happens if you follow Martyn Welch's instructions from his weathering book and apply the technique to 4mm models. He suggests a 'thick' coat of paint brushed on over the base layer and Maskol which, when the Maskol is removed, does indeed leave flakes around the edges, but remember that all Martyn Welch's examples are 7mm (and I suspect/assume he tidies them up afterwards). I have found that in 4mm it just looks, well, silly. I had more success with spraying a top coat on, but even then you can't just pull the Maskol off and leave it: it will need considerable attention to make it look 'real' which, in my view, the examples on the web site linked from this topic don't. This is a shame, because the painter has obviously got a fair degree of skill and has apparently taken some time over it, but I would suggest needs to take even more time to tone the effect down. The 'lightly weathered' examples are much better (but not really lightly weathered!!)

It is very easy to overdo weathering (we see plenty of examples on RMWeb and elsewhere, and I'm sure I'm guilty as well): what is much harder is to achieve the subtle effects that are seen on the prototype. When I see a picture of a model and think 'wow, that looks realistic' it is usually because it has been subtly weathered in a realistic manner.

agreed Tim, The weathering is very over the top, some doesnt look good at all, perhaps for scrapline condition, but some look almost white in appearance?!

couldnt see myself making my locos like this ,despite the sad reality of the real railways' leaving locos to get into a delipidated and poor state due to storage ...

If I remember correctly this guy was selling these locos on Ebay, but dont think theyd be worth much as the paint rusting and peeling as mentioned before looks way overscale for 4mm, as well as the over enthusiastic fading and weathering, cant really say any of those locos (37431, 66610 etc)got weathered that much whilst in service!!

NL

To me it looks way too extreme- surely no locos in service ever got that bad..?!? Therefore I don't think it looks realistic, either ; scale up those "flakes" of paint hanging off some of the roofs in particular!!

Gets a mad0216.gif from me, I'm afraid....

Skilfully done but just not realistic and even the "light weathering" is over-done. The cylinders caked with limescale are topical though, just like snow. Limescale runs are really tricky anyway, they nearly always look like someone's spilled some paint and are often simply too white.

I have seen some of these on eBay and had a small chuckle as 47's have aluminum cabs and a fibreglass cab roof.

Some impressive work there but maily in the "light weathering" department.

The benefit (or not in this case) of research, research, research.

I have seen some of these on eBay and had a small chuckle as 47's have aluminum cabs and a fibreglass cab roof.

Reminds me of a chuckle I had when looking on Ebay a while back; someone was listing a BR Blue 47, and claimed proudly that they had repainted the "wrong colour" centre section of the roof to the 'correct' Blue ... obviously didn't appreciate that many classes of BR loco had a 'clear' fibreglass panel over the engine room... :rolleyes: :lol:

Sorry, but epic fail I think...

I feel really bad criticising people's work, but when you're charging for it, it should be so much better than that!

Look at James Hilton's article in MR the other month to see how a nicely observed and fairly extreme job can look amazing. Whoever's work appeared in the link show a complete contrast to this - no observation and a real lack of understanding of the prototype.

Sorry, but epic fail I think...

Yes, very succinctly put :D

I feel really bad criticising people's work, but when you're charging for it, it should be so much better than that!

I don't think you should ever feel bad about criticising somebody's work, as long as it's constructive and you are genuinely offering them advice about how to improve. Of course, there is always the risk that you'll upset them, but if they genuinely want to improve they'll generally accept it.

Of course there are sometimes those that are so blinkered (like some of the X factor contestants who seem to be convinced they can sing like an angel, but clearly can't and are amazed when they are told that they're rubbish), but they don't tend to get too upset as they don't believe you! :D

I agree, however, that as soon as you start charging for something then you open yourself to criticism, especially if it is not to the standard that it should be.

Archived