New-look BRM!

SteveCole

• RMweb Gold

I'm still confused by what the 'British' bit means - British outline (irrespective of where the modeller is from), British modellers (irrespective of the location modelled) or British magazine (so they can include anything).

• RMweb Premium

I'm still confused by what the 'British' bit means - British outline (irrespective of where the modeller is from), British modellers (irrespective of the location modelled) or British magazine (so they can include anything).

I would jolly well expect it to be a British magazine with British modellers living in Britain modelling British outline railways, say what!  Poor show otherwise, wouldn't you say...?

(tongue firmly in cheek...)

Of course, if the magazine chooses not to define what they mean by 'British,' they can cover all of the above!

• RMweb Gold

I would jolly well expect it to be a British magazine with British modellers living in Britain modelling British outline railways, say what!  Poor show otherwise, wouldn't you say...?

(tongue firmly in cheek...)

No point then in sending in my Murphy's Models 071 in weathered Irish Rail livery for review!!   :sungum:

"5 great layouts (plus 9 readers' layouts)" is a bit awkward?

So the implication is that the "5 great layouts" are by non-readers, and readers of the mag don't build great layouts... :scratchhead:

Seriously though, assuming they are covered in any depth, to feature a total of 14 layouts in one edition is impressive and possibly even a record.

Do hope it isn't a case of quantity over quality though - we have after all been told 9 of them aren't "great"... :no:

So the implication is that the "5 great layouts" are by non-readers, and readers of the mag don't build great layouts... :scratchhead:

Seriously though, assuming they are covered in any depth, to feature a total of 14 layouts in one edition is impressive and possibly even a record.

Do hope it isn't a case of quantity over quality though - we have after all been told 9 of them aren't "great"... :no:

Once again I think some people are choosing to jump to premature conclusions. Yes, there will be five 'conventional' layout articles and I know there's some stunning content in there including some things which are not 'mainstream' but will find a place on their modelling merits. The reader's layout reference is there to denote submissions by readers of some of their models which aren't a 'conventional' article.

Quantity? Quality? That's always going to be an arbitrary thing and I've seen people turn their nose up at the finest of modelling simply because it's not of direct interest or relevance to them.

We're actively working at making the magazine better (another subjective term) and more stimulating, practical and accessible so it's frustrating when people are choosing to be negative when we're choosing to be very positive, for instance I read a product review from someone last night who's not an existing reviewer but is a well-regarded person in their field and it's one of the most concise and accurate ones I've ever read.

We'll be showing a bit more about the insides in due course, we have commercial reasons for telling people that change is coming whilst playing some things closer to our chest until near the time. It's unfair that we get pilloried by some for that really.

• RMweb Premium

Please don't misunderstand me, but I would hope we've all learned a thing or two from this announcement/discussion thread, and so I respectfully submit this summary for consideration; feel free to ignore/delete if you think appropriate...

To my mind there were three choices:

1. launch the new masthead/cover/contents all at once in a blaze of publicity and stand by your decision to change things because that's what you feel is best for the magazine - this may lose some readers but it's clear who's in charge and the majority will go with it.

2. tender the idea that the masthead/cover/contents are due to change and ask for informed opinion from interested parties ie the subscribers and members of RMweb - this gains you considerable credibility as a company who care about their customers and overall assists you in producing a product of which most people are at an agreed concensus.

3. announce the changes in a blaze of publicity then retreat under the radar having featured an incomplete masthead and partial cover shot and drip-feed the now-concerned interested parties with unclear comments about whether or not there will be explanatory wording under the masthead and how the layout features will be displayed - this will garner a largely negative response as many will make assumptions founded on the information supplied, and will require a clean-up operation to reassure the interested parties that all will be well with the new product...

For me, 1 would have worked best; 2 would have taken longer but would have worked just as well; 3 should have been avoided but unfortunately was the one adopted in this instance; maybe a lesson learned for future changes/upgrades etc.

As I said, this is all in my opinion but I thought it worth sharing; as a subscriber I look forward to the new-look magazine and its contents with enthusiasm and will continue to give my support where asked.

David

• RMweb Premium

Ireland (both parts) is part of the archipelago known as the British Isles, so I don't see why not.

No.

'British isles' means England, Wales and Scotland; islands in their territories (Mersea, Isle of Wight, Shetlands and so on) plus the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and a few others.

The only way Ireland fits in is as part of the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", but be aware that the CI and IoM are outside Great Britain ...

- Richard.

Once again I think some people are choosing to jump to premature conclusions.

We'll be showing a bit more about the insides in due course, we have commercial reasons for telling people that change is coming whilst playing some things closer to our chest until near the time.

Andy, can you really blame people for reaching "premature conclusions" if only partial information has been provided?

We've heard relatively little about the new content in the last eight pages which is a shame as this is what really matters to people - the exact cover design matters little to me if the standard of the articles is high. My copy of Vol. 1 No. 2 no longer has a cover - it has been read so many times since my Dad brought it home. I loved 'Penny Feathers Green' and Brian Daniels' spread on his 0 guage diesel modelling had a massive impact on me as a nine year old onwards!

I'd put Jonathan Hughes' article in the latest issue on modelling Deltics up at this level too - more stuff like that and I'll be happy :)

Archived