Locomotive portraits

chaz

Super, interesting and enlightening photo, Matt: got any more?

Cliff

Oh, go on then...

Reverse view of 34028 "Eddystone". The loco has fared incredibly well both in it's ten years of service, and the following two years spent in the open in a siding at Herston Halt - owed to the very thorough restoration carried out by the volunteers. All the mechanicals are in good condition, it's just a question of the boiler work.

post-20657-0-51524400-1470326281_thumb.jpg

As-Built 'Battle of Britain' Class 34072 "257 Squadron" nearing the end of its overhaul. This loco remained in continuous preserved service for 12 years and 4 months between 1990 and 2003. It was withdrawn following serious firebox issues, and proceeded to spend the best part of the following decade exposed to the elements and suffered quite badly as a result. The overhaul began in 2012, and has seen the construction of a brand new tender, as well as replacing all the boiler cladding.

post-20657-0-28214800-1470326305_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Oh, go on then...

Reverse view of 34028 "Eddystone". The loco has fared incredibly well both in it's ten years of service, and the following two years spent in the open in a siding at Herston Halt - owed to the very thorough restoration carried out by the volunteers. All the mechanicals are in good condition, it's just a question of the boiler work.

attachicon.gifSwanage Railway - Herston Works 26-07-2016-0 - 1.jpg

As-Built 'Battle of Britain' Class 34072 "257 Squadron" nearing the end of its overhaul. This loco remained in continuous preserved service for 12 years and 4 months between 1990 and 2003. It was withdrawn following serious firebox issues, and proceeded to spend the best part of the following decade exposed to the elements and suffered quite badly as a result. The overhaul began in 2012, and has seen the construction of a brand new tender, as well as replacing all the boiler cladding.

attachicon.gifSwanage Railway - Herston Works 26-07-2016-2 - 1.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Thanks Matt - super!

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...

post-4406-0-36728100-1472472616_thumb.jpg

Built for the War Department by Beyer Peacock in 1944, this metre gauge Burma Railways 2-8-2+2-8-2 GC class Garratt was photographed dumped at Thazi Jct shed on 24 February 1979.

post-4406-0-32259400-1472472553_thumb.jpg

GM22 was built by Clyde Engineering for the Commonwealth Railways in 1962, which later became Australian National. Seen at Islington Works, South Australia on 16 November 1998 it had been freshly painted in the colours of shortlived niche private operator Great Northern Great Northern Rail Services. It is now owned by Southern Shorthaul Railroad with whom it still gets an occasional run.

• Like 6

attachicon.gifV700_3_660.jpg

Built for the War Department by Beyer Peacock in 1944, this metre gauge Burma Railways 2-8-2+2-8-2 GC class Garratt was photographed dumped at Thazi Jct shed on 24 February 1979.

attachicon.gifV700_3_637.jpg

GM22 was built by Clyde Engineering for the Commonwealth Railways in 1962, which later became Australian National. Seen at Islington Works, South Australia on 16 November 1998 it had been freshly painted in the colours of shortlived niche private operator Great Northern Great Northern Rail Services. It is now owned by Southern Shorthaul Railroad with whom it still gets an occasional run.

Do we know if the BG still exists, and where? 

Cliff

Do we know if the BG still exists, and where? 

Cliff

This list suggests there are 9 GC and 4 GB Garratts extant at Yangon and Thazi, but doesn't give any real indication how recent the information is so there is no real way of knowing if they are still there or have been scrapped?

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/country.cfm?which=myanmar 

There was a mini steam revival in Myanmar in the 1990s and steam was still seen operating on a (limited) regular basis well into the noughties BUT it did not include the Garratts.

I've had a quick look through the reports on this page (lots of links) http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/asiaeast.htm#Myanmar so far I have found no mention of any of the Garratts remaining, hence my doubts about the info in the first link.

I had the privilege of visiting Pakistan for work reasons in '84 and '85. I loved my trips - the people I met were friendly, very welcoming, interested and very proud of their country (the state was only 36 years old at that stage)  and which, they enthusiastically pointed out, was self-sufficient in food. That the country had its It's problems was evident (which country or state doesn't?) but it's not very sensible to talk politics in a dictatorship, and religion was off limits, too. I've always wanted to return, but as time goes on, that becomes ever less likely. But I treasure my visits and was absolutely delighted to find steam in action there, despite Jane's Railways of the time saying that steam had been phased out about eighteen months prior to my visit. The engine drivers were immensly proud of their engines, and the cabs that I was welcomed into gleamed with highly polished brass and copper.

Oh, that I could have had a digital camera with the unlimited number of shots but, of course, the digital age was not yet upon us. And so I used my faithful Petri with either 50 or 35mm lenses on either colour or slide film. Here's another shot, this one of an oil-burning 0-6-0 on shunting duties at Hyderabad.

Hope you like it.

Cliff

I had the privilege of visiting Pakistan for work reasons in '84 and '85. I loved my trips - the people I met were friendly, very welcoming, interested and very proud of their country (the state was only 36 years old at that stage)  and which, they enthusiastically pointed out, was self-sufficient in food. That the country had its It's problems was evident (which country or state doesn't?) but it's not very sensible to talk politics in a dictatorship, and religion was off limits, too. I've always wanted to return, but as time goes on, that becomes ever less likely. But I treasure my visits and was absolutely delighted to find steam in action there, despite Jane's Railways of the time saying that steam had been phased out about eighteen months prior to my visit. The engine drivers were immensly proud of their engines, and the cabs that I was welcomed into gleamed with highly polished brass and copper.

Oh, that I could have had a digital camera with the unlimited number of shots but, of course, the digital age was not yet upon us. And so I used my faithful Petri with either 50 or 35mm lenses on either colour or slide film. Here's another shot, this one of an oil-burning 0-6-0 on shunting duties at Hyderabad.

Hope you like it.

Cliff

post-2411-0-70926700-1472733506_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

A bit of time to kill, so I was going thro' a few of my ( pre-digi ) railway photo albums. So for your delight I picked 3 'loco portraits', all on the SVR about 30 years old, from the first album, and no apologies for the quality :sungum:

post-7336-0-28566000-1473257517.jpg

Not long after this pic, this loco was hired for the summer season to the Swanage Railway where she did stirling service on the then short run to Herston, and back all season without any problems.

post-7336-0-48537900-1473257561.jpg

post-7336-0-96663100-1473257602.jpg

• Like 10

A bit of time to kill, so I was going thro' a few of my ( pre-digi ) railway photo albums. So for your delight I picked 3 'loco portraits', all on the SVR about 30 years old, from the first album, and no apologies for the quality :sungum:

None needed, old boy!

• RMweb Premium

A few from the weekend on the East Lancs Railway.

A three train trick, but a very entertaining selection. 

post-6831-0-73559900-1473624660.jpg

40106 at Bury Bolton Street

post-6831-0-29388900-1473624836.jpg

80080 arrives at Bury with a Rawtenstall train

post-6831-0-60800600-1473625015.jpg

34092 - a little off region - blasts into Ramsbottom with a north-bound train

• Like 4

post-4406-0-10207800-1473994934_thumb.jpg

EL57 is a 3000hp GE-powered unit built in Australia in 1991 by A Goninan originally for service with Australian National. It was sold to Chicago Freight Car Leasing Australia (CFCLA) in 1998 and repainted in the company's colours the following year - seen here fresh out of the paint booth at Islington Workshops (Adelaide)

post-4406-0-30208200-1473994941_thumb.jpg

CFCLA have a number of 'heritage' units in their lease fleet including former Victorian Railways Clyde built 1800hp EMD S311 seen at the Canberra Railway Museum in March 2015.

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

It's faded a bit over the years, but here's a scan of a colour slide I took in the early 1970s of 1905 (an 0-6-0 built by Beyer Peacock in 1877 for the New South Wales Government Railways) at the original location of the NSW Rail Transport Museum at Enfield.  I think it would satisfy the definition of the word "portrait".

30097033572_2106ee8d93_c.jpg

• Like 6