4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

Hi All,

Nice to see this thread has a life of its own! The only 4 SUB news is that it has gone to pastures new (or should that be sidings?) and can now be seen on Howard Bolton's developing masterpiece 'Minories' (cf. the front cover of Scalefour News 195). I am limbering up to convert the 4 COR to P4, but studies at university have slowed modelling progress to a crawl at present.

Meanwhile here's a trick shot of another unit which has been converted to P4 and awaits some track to run on (shown still in 00 guise): 

post-8139-0-05586100-1456016094_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Colin

• Like 11

I've still got cousins in next-door Lancing. The ex-Brighton cousin has moved up market to Hailsham. We still keep in touch.

"3rd rail electric traction, ...It's the future."  As my ol' Gran'Pappy used to say

Heh I wonder if we all tweeted Notwork Rail suggesting they convert the ECML to Third Rail. how long would they spend laughing?

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All,

but studies at university have slowed modelling progress to a crawl at present.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin

What are you studying?

I went back part time in September 2014 and I am due to finish my Masters this September.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Colin

What are you studying?

I went back part time in September 2014 and I am due to finish my Masters this September.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

I am just a humble undergraduate reading anthropology. I have just returned from a few days at an ashram near Carmarthen of all places.  Besides all the other things that we found out was the fact that the old Aberystwyth-Carmarthen railway track bed runs through the land of this Hindu community (you might remember the 'Shambo the (tuberculant) Bull' saga in the news back in 2007). It appears that the local preserved railway, the Gwili Railway, wants to extend that way and own the land.  Could be another standoff soon!

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Might we ask of any layout news, re. a successor to Newhaven Harbour? I'm sure i'm not alone in looking forward to seeing your handiwork back on the rails.

All the best for your studies!

Thanks South Central,

The new layout has not been started - unless you can count a partly assembled double slip (all 15.5" of it). I am going to sell or break up the original Newhaven Harbour this year, which will give me some space to work on something else, which will definitely be P4.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

It is wonderful to have you back on here, Colin. But I feel a little sad that you no longer have ownership of that remarkable 4 SUB unit. The 4 CIG is looking very good.

With best regards,

Rob.

Hi Rob,

Do not feel sad about the 4 SUB. It has gone to a very good home on Howard Bolton's superb Minories layout.  I did enjoy building the SUB, but it really was a bit out of place on a layout based on the Newhaven area ! 

All the best,

Colin

• 2 months later...

Stumbled over this topic whilst looking for something else.

Ref the earlier posts, what you need is one of these.

I've made mine from 8mm hex so it clears the underside of the floor. It's also easier to use as it spins easily using just your fingers.

Works a treat and will drill a hole for any 2mm bearing.

PM me for details.post-23858-0-87654100-1462988654.jpgpost-23858-0-21500800-1462988681.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

Just to mention that Colin's 4SUB will be appearing at the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition at the Brimingham NEC on 26/27 November this year, where it will be running on my "Minories" layout.    For those who have not seen the unit "in the flesh", I can say that it is even more impressive in real-life than in the photos!

Hope to see a few of you there.

Best wishes,

• Like 4

Hello Colin. 

They will miss a lot if they only see that!  But I do hope you will be able to make it and very much look forward to seeing you there.  You can at last have a go at driving your own EMU in P4 - assuming you have not got them all going on your new layout by then!

Very Best Wishes,

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2019 at 08:23, HAB said:

Just to mention that Colin's 4-SUB will be at the Epsom Exhibition this weekend on my Minories layout - details here:-

https://www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk/visitors/whats-on/event/epsom-model-railway-show-2019

Look forward to seeing RMwebbers there!

Nice to see a local authority giving some backing to a model railway exhibition. Where I was an exhibition manager, they gave us nothing but grief.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Ps any chance your layout coming out west.......

We will be at Railex, Aylesbury, next year - which counts as "West" for the likes of us lot!  Beyond that, we are booked up until the end of 2021 and all the events are more to the north.

PS, not sure about a headboard, but we will try to display a notice in Colin's memory.

Edited by HAB
Missed an important bit off...