4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

You are right how something so small makes such a difference.

Sad to here that Newhaven is about to become Harbourless........ ;-(

Andy G

Don't worry Andy It'll hopefully be only for a short time!

All the best,

Colin

Where did you get those dorrhandles from?

They look interesting

Thanks

Martin

The door (and commode) handles come from Southern Pride This unit took four etches I think. HAB AKA Howard supplied me with some very nice commode handles for the 4 SUB which were of a more realistic shape. If using the S.P. handles they have to be to inserted then folded over. You generally only get one chance with the folding process before they snap.

All the best,

Colin

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "You are too skilful for your own good and I am jealous of you!" Well done that man. :O

Too kind you honour!

The fleet of EMUs is now up to some kind of similar standard. The next layout, being P4, will really be a test. I'm not that experienced with track-building, but HAB (Howard) has been giving masses of behind the scenes advice.

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The door (and commode) handles come from Southern Pride This unit took four etches I think. HAB AKA Howard supplied me with some very nice commode handles for the 4 SUB which were of a more realistic shape. If using the S.P. handles they have to be to inserted then folded over. You generally only get one chance with the folding process before they snap.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks, I thought they also looked DMU suaitable

Thanks, I thought they also looked DMU suaitable

Hi Martin,

I would best tell you that the handles are of Bulleid design for that type of coaches only. Both southern Pride and Roxey do mere suitable etchings for DMUs if you mean BR ones.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Colin, it is good to see the units looking harmonious, now that you've got that last bit of work completed. It is indeed excellent to see such very high standards in model-making.

I think I can also add MJT to the list of possible DMU door handles, for their Mk1 pack of handles is what I've used on DMU kits.

I also hope that Newhaven will not be gone for too long.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Martin,

I would best tell you that the handles are of Bulleid design for that type of coaches only. Both southern Pride and Roxey do mere suitable etchings for DMUs if you mean BR ones.

All the best,

Colin

Thanks

But they do look similar size!

Hi, Colin, it is good to see the units looking harmonious, now that you've got that last bit of work completed. It is indeed excellent to see such very high standards in model-making.

I think I can also add MJT to the list of possible DMU door handles, for their Mk1 pack of handles is what I've used on DMU kits.

I also hope that Newhaven will not be gone for too long.

All the best,

Market65.

MJT are a tiny bit small, got them on 3 sets so far,.

• 1 month later...

Hi Colin. So what's news on the P4 adventure ?

Hi Tigermoth,

Thanks for asking about the P4 saga. There is a bagful of track parts waiting to be turned into point work etc.. I have been rather too ill/fragile to build any base boards as yet, but I have been getting on with learning to design track using Templot.

The main stumbling block though is not conversion of the stock, but the scarcity of supplies of my preferred wheels for the Black Beetle motor bogies (Ultrascale) leaves me waiting until about September for delivery of the first order. I had thought of using Exactoscale coach wheels for non-driven axles, but that supplier was out of stock at least until very recently (they could be back in production now).

At the risk of repeating myself, here is a picture of the very easy conversion to P4 of a Black Beetle motor bogie:

post-8139-0-20898200-1403807214_thumb.jpg

Added to the above, it's also quite expensive to work in P4 if you're doing it with all the proper components. So, as money is very tight at present (see the news for problems with processing disability claims - the ATOS agency having its contract terminated, causing further delays etc., etc..) I have to tread carefully and not waste any of the track components on false-starts.

There will be pictures of P4 progress as and when. The layout plan is undecided, although I am tempted to reproduce the 'real' junction and station at Newhaven Harbour. The point formation is about 7' in total if the lines into the Marine station throat are included and I only have 11' 6" in length to play with. That would leave a small fictitious layout the only other option. We shall see.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

Hi Colin,

Not visited this page for a while so wondered how you were getting on? Also, I am now in the UK and have totally forgotten the details of the show you WERE going to until your health news made you pull out.

Hoping all is well,

John

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Has anyone seen or heard of Colin?

Looking at his profile - his last post was early September, but shown as 'active' yesterday. Hope that helps?

Colin,

If you're reading this - I hope it doesn't sound as though I'm talking about you as if you aren't here :-)

Andy

Edited by leopardml2341

Hi there all.

Thanks for the recent kind comments and apologies for not posting since June (and missing your enquiry on 30/07 John). I was in hospital on and off until the end of August, so only looked in on RMweb occasionally during that time.

The chemo-therapy is now going well and in the last few weeks I have started up modelling again to a limited degree. My exploits are now focussed on P4, with a view to eventually constructing a P4 layout based on the location of the real Newhaven Harbour junction leading to the Marine station c.1970-72. It will involve some complex (for me!)point work. To that end, a start has been made on a double slip based on the methods used by Howard Bolton. (His work and methods will be featured in an article in the Oct. MRJ.)

All the stock EMU will be converted to P4 in due course, so when I have anything of interest to share, it will appear here on this topic.

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good to hear positive things Colin.

All good wishes.

All the stock EMU will be converted to P4 in due course,..........

....and you'll always be welcome to run on a certain piece of architecture! :P

• Like 5

Glad to hear things are getting more positive Colin and hope you are not too knocked out by treatments. Have always looked forward to seeing you modelling progress as brings back memories of slam door electrics in my distance childhood. Keep chipping away and if you feel able, share with us here.

Regards

Tom

Thanks for adding the link Howard.

Plastic EMU scratch-building is easier than all the present metal work I am doing (based on the experience of filling and re-drilling holes in rail webs yesterday. I somehow don't think I should have signed up promising to be one of those noble band 'getting it all right'!

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1