4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

The side glazing I put on this old Westward Plaxton coach kit was 5 thou." Polycarbonate boiled round a can (may have done it by filling the can with boiling water, it was done a long time ago). That wouldn't otherwise stay curved. No crazing or fogging. The windscreen came with the kit and isn't quite as clear.

post-1877-0-37124600-1498928869_thumb.jpg

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 5

The side glazing I put on this old Westward Plaxton coach kit was 5 thou." Polycarbonate boiled round a can (may have done it by filling the can with boiling water, it was done a long time ago). That wouldn't otherwise stay curved. No crazing or fogging. The windscreen came with the kit and isn't quite as clear.

CoachWingMirrors.jpg

Hi Bernard,

The coach glazing looks very good and it is interesting to know how thin it is too. It looks as if PETG could be curved too using boiling water, but I have managed using a 'cold' bending method. Again, I admire anyone who can build coaches like yours that have bodies which are mostly glazing.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 1

It's just an old whitemetal Westward kit, Colin, nothing special, made some years before the EFE version and VERY heavy. There was a fair bit of added detail and the rear was reworked to an Elite III instead of II. Mounting the glazing that way had two benefits to the standard inside mounting: the real things were more or less flush, the rubber beading holding the glass about level with the curved sides; also by painting the rubber beading round the edge of the glazing to hide the glue the width of the pillars was effectively reduced. The polycarbonate film was originally used as a form of cheap double glazing, so when this was replaced with 'proper' secondary glazing frames I saved a lot of it, but I can't seem to get it thinner than 10 thou." these days and that would stand out too far for this method. PC is very clear and much more scratch resistant than clear styrene. You can scribe it though and I did that for the sliding driver's window on the offside, running silver paint between the scribed lines.

Hi Bernard,The coach glazing looks very good and it is interesting to know how thin it is too. It looks as if PETG could be curved too using boiling water, but I have managed using a 'cold' bending method. Again, I admire anyone who can build coaches like yours that have bodies which are mostly glazing.All the best,Colin

That's amazing work on those coaches

Paul

One 2 HAP is complete and sporting some nice shiny commode handles courtesy of Howard. The unit shown here is the motorised one.

post-8139-0-15716300-1398593677_thumb.jpg

This shot is pleasing to me in that the first class stripe does not now occupy the whole depth between cantrail and top edge of the window. This is partly due to window position and narrower stripe (painted-on rather than transfer). The large corridor windows now have panes which all sit in the same plane and are also curved to match the body side.

post-8139-0-21864400-1398593724_thumb.jpg

While not flush, the glazing is much more acceptable and will not be liable to falling out like the old stuff! The door droplight glazing is set back 10thou. more than the fixed quarter lights, which makes a difference, though adds a great deal to construction time as all panes are separate items.

post-8139-0-11636000-1398593766_thumb.jpg

Comparisons with the old sides: The new ones are not perfect but the original sides now look rather embarrassing when put alongside. The windows of the scrapped sides were all the same depth, whereas the door drop lights should be slightly deeper. Added to that, the windows were too large and too angular, the former defect thus leading to the panels between compartments being too narrow.

post-8139-0-96901200-1398593813_thumb.jpg

post-8139-0-87795800-1398593790_thumb.jpg

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hello Colin, I've been following your excellent modelling on here for a considerable time now, and am so astonished at the very high standards which you have consistently been achieving. The Bullied 2 Hap up grade has turned out incredibly well. This is the kind of standard which I'm aiming for in my own model-making. I look forward to your P4 endeavours.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

..................................Er, that's about it until conversion to P4 later in the year.

..............................and you know what you can run them on!  :yes:  :P

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 1

..............................and you know what you can run them on!  :yes:  :P

Get back in the queue that man...

Cheers,

Hmm. Perhaps I'll just travel the land with a box of EMUs on offer in future!

Colin

• Like 2

Final tweaking, with intermediate jumper cables now fitted to the 4 SUB. Being shorter than the ones on the 4 COR, it wasn't certain that the shorter cables would stay attached until blasting the unit up and down a few times. (They did stay on.)

attachicon.gifIMG_7469.JPG

A few pictures of the two HAPs, after testing them to see that all has gone back together. The one to the left is un-powered, being connected to the other with a magnet on a wire on the leading bogie which locates onto a screw head on the powered unit's trailing bogie. It allows the train to be divided in the fiddle yard and just the front two coaches to be used. The coupling of the units allows the two types of side of a 2 HAP trailer coach to be seen at once

attachicon.gifIMG_7455.JPG

The windows have come out like the 4 SUB's as both these units should do.

attachicon.gifIMG_7461.JPG

The contrasting features of the cab fronts

attachicon.gifIMG_7463.JPG

Er, that's about it until conversion to P4 later in the year.

Colin

Hey Colin,...

You're getting me flummoxed !

I had to 'double take' hat initial b&w roof picture !...I was so sure it was one of Dave's (dasatcopthorne's) photos of the prototype !.....Talk about perfection.

It's been a pleasure to meet you (via the Ether of RMweb) and to look in at the result of your craftsmanship over these past few years (and pick up a multitude of tips, along the way)

Wishing you All the best for the P4 project (I will be looking in) and for the future.

Cheers,

Frank.

• Like 1

Hey Colin,...

I had to 'double take' hat initial b&w roof picture !...I was so sure it was one of Dave's (dasatcopthorne's) photos of the prototype !.....Talk about perfection.

It's been a pleasure to meet you (via the Ether of RMweb) and to look in at the result of your craftsmanship over these past few years (and pick up a multitude of tips, along the way)

Wishing you All the best for the P4 project (I will be looking in) and for the future.

Cheers,

Frank.

Hi Frank,

That B&W photo was not intended as a trick shot, but the jumper cables had proven hard to photograph. I can see what you mean about the photo looking like one of Dave Smith's!

Many thanks once again for all your help with the various EMU projects over the past five years.

All the best,

Colin

Hey Colin,...

My thoughts exactly.

I thought at first Colin had used one of my shots without permission. :-)))))

Only joking, but Colin, fantastic work as usual.

Dave

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly.

I thought at first Colin had used one of my shots without permission. :-)))))

Only joking, but Colin, fantastic work as usual.

Dave

Hi Dave,

It must be the effect of staring at your excellent reference shots for so many hours over the years that produced a photo with such a similar look.

All the best,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic modelling Colin - seen together they exude late '60s, early '70s workaday SR character by the bucket-load. I'd love to catch up with the 2014 tour at some point.....

Congratulations,

Alastair M

If it hasn't already been posted there, the black and white shot in particular would look very appropriate in the 'How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.' thread. I thought it was the real thing at first.

• 2 weeks later...

One final picture and postscript to the 4 SUB project:

The Tin HAL is shown here now complete with gutters over the doors. This was a technique only figured out when making the 4 SUB and the gutters are made from 5 thou. plastic (material courtesy of Ian Fisher). Not such a difficult task when fitted during construction of a model, but a whole lot harder to execute the procedure once the model is painted.

The first picture shows the newly fixed gutters painted but not yet varnished.

post-8139-0-39626600-1400158898_thumb.jpg

This second photo shows the finished article and is taken on the soon-to-be dismantled Newhaven Harbour. The guttering only stands off the coach sides by 10 thou. or 0.25mm, but it catches the light now. The unit never looked quite right without its gutters!

post-8139-0-91264100-1400158918_thumb.jpg

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

You are right how something so small makes such a difference.

Sad to here that Newhaven is about to become Harbourless........ ;-(

Andy G