4 SUB Unit 4377, Bulleid 2 HAP upgrade - plus all matters third rail.

Thanks for your comments Market65.

I have tried everything to get photos in the main body of text.  It's not as if I haven't done it before - the process doesn't work now for me! r

Re. the bogies, the trailer coaches are putting up more of a fight.  It seems there are two types of Bachmann Mk.4 bogie mouldings under the three vehicles.  It was not spotted during the initial building/conversion work, but there seems to be a later moulding with the inner brake blocks on a separate moulding in line with the wheels.  This is causing trouble with drilling the holes for the brass bearings, but it'll all work out in the end.

All the best,

Colin

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Colin. That's interesting about the Bachmann Mk 4 bogie mouldings. It could be something to do with the changes that have taken place in China, or then again maybe something else! It will be good to see the photo's of the finished bogies - I have always been under the impression that to convert a carriage bogie from OO gauge to P4 was 'relatively' straight forward.

The photo' problem is baffling - maybe you've had a change of computer, if so, this might be part of the answer, along with the O.S. being used and the browser. (I'm Windows 7, and Firefox).

With best regards,

Market65.

After a surprisingly difficult time with the 4 CIG trailer coaches, the wheels are almost all in place with brass bearings, which will give much more reliable running. the bearings had to be shortened to 1mm long so that they could be fitted to the Bachmann bogie side frames.  This was made easier by holding the bearing in a strip of 40thou. (1mm) plastic strip while filing. the more tedious part of the operation was to file a bevel back on each bearing to fit snugly into the newly drilled hole. 

I had previously made a kind of 'truck tuner' from part of a 2mm drill with a turned washer-come knob to rotate the drill super-glued in place (well it was correct for the deeper oil-type axle boxes as found on Hornby 8ft SR bogies etc.). The pin-point end slide, up and down the drill shank and the spring (half a three-link coupling spring) keeps the tuner located in to opposite side while drilling takes place. (One guard iron broke off during this particular operation. There was some swearing at this point.)

For drilling into these side frames care had to be taken as the roller-bearing mouldings are much shallower and I confess that on one hole the drill broke though (there was some more swearing), leaving some delicate repairs to be done.

Colin

post-8139-0-17088500-1424095996_thumb.jpg

post-8139-0-60638100-1424096027_thumb.jpg

post-8139-0-79753100-1424096047.jpg

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Colin. I do like that truck tuner which you have made. I will get one of my own made, for although having bought one in quite some time ago, it is not very good, with too thick a middle for turning it round in a typical bogie without causing problems.

With best regards,

Market65.

Thanks Market65.

Glad you like the 'tuner'.  Bear in mind it is only for fitting Romford plain bearings, although it would probably work with the top-hat type - given a wider spacing between the frames/solebars.

Come to think of it, I've never seen an American 'truck tuner', so perhaps they just ease pin-point 'holes' in plastic mouldings rather than drill them out to accept new bearings.  Perhaps someone could enlighten us?

All the best,

Colin

the more tedious part of the operation was to file a bevel back on each bearing to fit snugly into the newly drilled hole. 

Hello Colin,

This is an excellent bit of kit - you should write it up for Scalefour News!

I wonder if it might be possible to make a version of this with the drill flutes ground straight rather than to a point (rather like an end-mill) after all, there is an existing hole to follow and we are not talking about cutting cast-iron!

Excellent work going on in the stock conversion department here!

Very Best Wishes,

• RMweb Gold

Hello Colin,

I wonder if it might be possible to make a version of this with the drill flutes ground straight rather than to a point (rather like an end-mill) after all, there is an existing hole to follow and we are not talking about cutting cast-iron!

Very Best Wishes,

There was a write up of the making of a tool such as this in the Railway Modeller back in the sixties, if my memory serves. I had one made but it is lost now along with the copy of the article. Ultrascale also offered a 'tune up tool' for a while. I don't know if it is still available.

Geoff

Hello Colin,

Very Best Wishes,

Hi Howard,

Thanks for your comments re. the tuner. It had occurred to me to make a square -ended version to finish the hole, but an angled drill tip is necessary to make the initial cut so that the drill follows the line of the moulded hole accurately. It would be possible to have a 'plug' ended drill to finish the hole, but this is only needed when drilling out the roller bearing mouldings. The 'oil' type of axle box mouldings are much deeper so the problem does not occur. The length of drill protruding on my tuner is sufficient to drill a hole to accept the plain bearings in normal circumstances, having been made for drilling out Hornby bogies when I made the 4 COR a few years ago.u

All the best,

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

There was a write up of the making of a tool such as this in the Railway Modeller back in the sixties, if my memory serves. I had one made but it is lost now along with the copy of the article. Ultrascale also offered a 'tune up tool' for a while. I don't know if it is still available.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

No claims can be made for originality here, although I have never seen a commercially made tuner ( or a home-made one either), so the design seen here is just my solution for task. There is a tuner listed somewhere on a trader's list that I have seen recently on the Internet. I forget who the trader was, but the tool was listed as made by Micro Mark, which must be an American product.

It is certainly worth the bother of fitting brass bearings using such a tool as the Bachmann and Hornby bogies are not going to perform well for very long if mine are anything to go by. Both companies use a styrene type plastic for their bogies now - which is good for adapting, converting and so on, but it is not as durable as the older polythene or nylon material ( which is awful to work with!).

All the best,

Colin

Hi Geoff,

No claims can be made for originality here, although I have never seen a commercially made tuner ( or a home-made one either), so the design seen here is just my solution for task. There is a tuner listed somewhere on a trader's list that I have seen recently on the Internet. I forget who the trader was, but the tool was listed as made by Micro Mark, which must be an American product.

It is certainly worth the bother of fitting brass bearings using such a tool as the Bachmann and Hornby bogies are not going to perform well for very long if mine are anything to go by. Both companies use a styrene type plastic for their bogies now - which is good for adapting, converting and so on, but it is not as durable as the older polythene or nylon material ( which is awful to work with!).

All the best,

Colin

The Micromark 'tuners' are American- the ones I've had were marketed as 'Ed's Tool'. They're simply a piece of 1/4"  (or there about) round bar, the length of a standard axle, machined to give a point on each end. The bar has a hard rubber sleeve on it to help you grip it. One of the pointed ends has a cutting edge machined into it; operation is by pushing W-irons apart, inserting tool and turning. After a couple of turns, switch ends to do the other bearing. I use them when I've fitted brass pin-point bearings, just to make sure the bearings are true. They're also handy for getting paint off the bearings after you've weathered stock...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Geoff,

All the best,

Colin

Hello Colin, 

It is good to have you back on here, I hope your recovery is all going to plan.

I posted about the axle bearing drill to save you the effort of writing it up if someone has a copy of the original article. Your version is almost identical to that earlier model save for a little refinement in the manufacture which is not entirely necessary. Ultra scale do not appear to offer their device any more, I seem to recall it was a freeby with certain orders. Yes there is an American product which will clean up the manufacturers bearing mouldings and will work on our models. 

How right you are about the different plastics and their ease of adaptation and glueing or not as the case may be. 

I saw your railway at the Nottingham show a few years back and was very impressed so I am looking forward to your new one with anticipation. I am not a 'southern electric' modeller but you and others who model the third rail empire have certainly done much to raise its profile. 

Keep up the good work and look after yourself.

Geoff

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Geoff

It looks as though my memory was a little inaccurate as I have found my copy of the write up dated 1975. Mods, if this is likely to cause problems please remove it.

post-224-0-85116200-1424201529.jpg

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Here is a video that Howard Bolton has been kind enough to make of the 4 SUB running up and down his 'Minories' layout.

www.youtube.com/embed/6YQDHMmkbNU

I am assured that any jerkiness is down to the uploading of the video and not to do with Howard's track or the model itself.   (One droplight window fell out in the post en route to Howard!)

Colin

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Colin. What an excellent video of your 4 SUB. It is so good to see one of your units at work, along with some working point-rodding on that layout. All the work that you've put into the SUB has really paid-off. Did not really notice the 'jerkiness'.

With best regards,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

Here is a video that Howard Bolton has been kind enough to make of the 4 SUB running up and down his 'Minories' layout.

www.youtube.com/embed/6YQDHMmkbNU

I am assured that any jerkiness is down to the uploading of the video and not to do with Howard's track or the model itself.   (One droplight window fell out in the post en route to Howard!)

Colin

The jerkiness is youtubes fault for transcoding everything to US framerates

I hate youtube picture quality

Aren't DCC concepts Australian? They do a truck turner like of which you have been postin about.

http://www.dccconcepts.com/flickerfree-fx-products/flickerfree-pickup-springs-pickups/bearing-reamers-set-of-2

These are excellent, DCC Concepts are in Perth WA, but their products are distributed by Gaugemaster in the UK. and Hattons also carry a large range of their products.

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C,

Edited by 45568

• 9 months later...

Hi Paul,

I certainly like the idea of building either one of the workmanlike 313 class or the very handsome 377 class units. What I really need to do first is to build a new layout which can accommodate all the EMUs I already have.

The idea is to stick with a Newhaven area theme, as believe it or not little has changed in the infrastructure there apart from lifting of sidings and some replacement of signals since the late sixties (and I can always 're-instate' some sidings as I believe has already happened with the advent of the north Quay incinerator.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Colin! The unit looks amazing! Can't wait to see what you do next.

I was lucky enough to drive past Newhaven quite a bit up until a couple of years ago (Until I stopped doing the 13X route regularly anyway). Got a look at the new sidings during construction

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver

I'm Welsh but moved to Shoreham at 9 months.

I've still got cousins in next-door Lancing. The ex-Brighton cousin has moved up market to Hailsham. We still keep in touch.

"3rd rail electric traction, ...It's the future."  As my ol' Gran'Pappy used to say

Edited by Ceptic

Indeed. So the people who supply coach interiors could also supply passengers in groups of three and two to sit on their seats, already painted overall in their most likely colour (i.e. dark grey for city suits) so only the little details need to be picked out, and not much of those because you can't see much inside a coach that's full of passengers.

Ebay has someone in Hong Kong who does packs of 100 people for about a pound. Free postage too. 

Edited by The Evil Bus Driver