DJModels announce new models in N, OO and O

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted in the Jan edition of Model Rail that the Holden F5 Trust is looking to get Dave to establish a 'crowd sourced' model of the F5 to help funding for the planned replica build.

The Trust is seeking expressions of interest first via an online survey:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/YRKGHS3  It only takes a few minutes to complete.

Put me down for a couple (at least!!)

Completed the survey when it first appeared and intimated that I would be interested in a blue GER and late crest BR version - family connections and all that....

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Just spotted in the Jan edition of Model Rail that the Holden F5 Trust is looking to get Dave to establish a 'crowd sourced' model of the F5 to help funding for the planned replica build.

The Trust is seeking expressions of interest first via an online survey:

www.surveymonkey.com/s/YRKGHS3  It only takes a few minutes to complete.

Put me down for a couple (at least!!)

There's a thread entiteld "Is there any interest in an F5?"

2013, a new company is announced ,with a mouth watering schedule of models. I am interested in some of them, but, so far, no production models. I realize that these things take time and a lot of money but I am concerned about the time it's taken to get product available to buy. 

I wouldn't say that the gestation period for the initial models is overly long - just think of some of the long waits for certain items from other manufacturers...

What is more of a concern for me personally is the number of items being added to that list before the first ones come to fruition. Unless there is a sudden injection of cash and Dave is cloned, it is inevitable that some of those will take substantially longer to reach the market...

I wouldn't say that the gestation period for the initial models is overly long - just think of some of the long waits for certain items from other manufacturers...

What is more of a concern for me personally is the number of items being added to that list before the first ones come to fruition. Unless there is a sudden injection of cash and Dave is cloned, it is inevitable that some of those will take substantially longer to reach the market...

Hi mate,

Quite right too. :-)

Cash flow is a problem at the minute as I've absorbed the last 2 Chinese price rises ( equivalent to paying for 1 tooled locomotive outright over my range) with more to come in May 2015.

The benefit to me directly from having third parties like Hattons or Kernow etc in ordering locos from me, is it is their monies, not mine, and as such as soon as these models go to tooling or even production, my cash flow problems will ease up considerably.

As it is, the revised 1st EP of the J94 is expected any day now, and should go to second EP stage , if all is well, before CNY with a hopeful production to arrive May / June. Once this comes online, cash flow will be helped hugely, along side the special comissions profit.

So not being cloned yet, I mean who would want 2 of me? Ones bad enough, but I do ( sorry guys) see light at the end of the tunnel, which will allow everything to speed up.

Cheers

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

2013, a new company is announced ......., but, so far, no production models. I realize that these things take time...... but I am concerned about the time it's taken to get product available to buy. 

aren't you contradicting yourself there?

Chill guys.  As a NE modeller I have heard all of the stories about the 'big boys' not doing models of prototypes of 'limited potential' (remeber all those old stories about how Southern EMUs WOULD NOT sell?) or of how 'they' have had drawings for years of NE prototypes but would not progress them, so I expect nothing and I am not disappointed.

If, on the other hand, a small manufacturer comes along with a cost base that allows him to produce some of these so called non-economic models then let him have the space and time to develop.  I have put my name down for 2 of the Q6s and I hope that they eventually turn up.  I know the Company is using this exercise to gauge just what the market is for these models and I accept that - they are honest about it which some organisations in the past have not been.

I only hope that the 'big boys' don't trump them by letting people like Dave do all the donkey work then producing their version.  I find it very interesting that Hornby have had the K1 measured up for several years (along with several other NELPG engines, as have Bachman) and have decide to bring it out now. 

Am I just being conspiratorial?  Time will tell but I wish Dave every sucess (especially with the Banks).

Just to balance, Dave did get Hugh's FTG 00 SPA wagon into production pretty quickly after Hugh had been trying for over a year. The wagons arrived in December and are sellling fast, especially the plain Railfreight version, so get in quick if you want one. See the FTG site.

• RMweb Gold

I only hope that the 'big boys' don't trump them by letting people like Dave do all the donkey work then producing their version.  I find it very interesting that Hornby have had the K1 measured up for several years (along with several other NELPG engines, as have Bachman) and have decide to bring it out now. 

Am I just being conspiratorial?  Time will tell but I wish Dave every sucess (especially with the Banks).

If that is the case, then all Dave has to do is announce that he is going to make a long list of things, and watch the big boys announce their versions. Then Dave can cancel the ones that the big boys have announced and quietly get on with the others, but not necessarily all at once.

I agree with your success sentiments.

I seem to recall Dave saying the O gauge models won't even make it onto the drawing board until all the N and OO models have been produced and sold etc.

Shame really as we're probably talking a good two years, as I'm really looking forward to a nice saddle tank in O.

Great Western

I seem to recall Dave saying the O gauge models won't even make it onto the drawing board until all the N and OO models have been produced and sold etc.

Shame really as we're probably talking a good two years, as I'm really looking forward to a nice saddle tank in O.

Great Western

Hi,

The O gauge J94 and class 23 are designed and ready to go.

I do, however, need to get monies back from the other projects to allow these to progress to the tool room.

Cheers

Dave

Have any oo or n models been produced yet.

Hi,

I've delivered FTG models SPA wagon in OO gauge just before Christmas, and am about to deliver the revised Beattie well tank for Kernow.

The O2 is hot on the Beatties tail, with the J94 about to go into 2nd EP status.

The N gauge 17, 23 and J94 will follow the OO J94. If you'd like to see the J94 in action, please look at either Hattons facebook page, or I think there's a link to the video in the OO gauge J94 section here.

Cheers

Dave

We look forward to stocking DJ Models OO and N gauge products when they become available.

Me too mate :-))

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

DJM models will arrive when they arrive, the only one risking anything with a slip to the schedules here is Dave. For the rest of us there are plenty of models competing for our money and whatever we all might wish it is sadly the case that delivery schedules for all manufacturers might be most politely described as being flexible. You can either get worked up about this or just accept it and enjoy the hobby.

Hi,

The O gauge J94 and class 23 are designed and ready to go.

I do, however, need to get monies back from the other projects to allow these to progress to the tool room.

Cheers

Dave

Glad to see that progress is being made! Dave, could you clarify for me the BR liveries for the J94 (in both 00 and O gauge). Will you be doing a 1948 Gill Sans 'British Railways' lettering without emblem as well as the standard emblems?

• 3 months later...

Don't hold your breath, Martin - it's looking more and more like IF rather than WHEN!

Sorry I can't agree, and to propose this theory based on supposition rather than fact is rather poor in my opinion.

I've said, more than once on RMWeb in various sections as well, that the O gauge range will come after the OO J94 and N gauge J94 , 17 and 23.

Purely for financial reasons, nothing more as 1 begets the other etc.

Now, if you've got £100k sitting around doing nothing, and want to be positive rather than negative about the development cycle time of the O gauge range, how about passing it this way to get the O gauge J94 ball rolling?

Bet the answer will be no! Lol

The world is full of Sayers, but, alas, not many do'ers.

Cheers

Dave

Thing is Dave, after the flurry on new announcements last year, you have been (relatively) quiet so far this year. If that means you are beavering away in the background on the models already announced, it is a good thing :-) , though even the news page on your own website hasn't been updated to show any progress or development since November, which does rather give ammunition to those seeking to criticise...

People will always criticise and want things now, forgetting that it takes time for design process to happen, followed by mould making, followed by initial samples, followed by inspections, then adjustments then final samples and then actual production!

Keep up the good work Dave, I will hopefully be able to order one later in the year after a confirmation of a contract today.  (00 gauge btw)

EDIT TO ADD:  Ive probably forgotten several steps but broadly its a long time consuming process!

Archived