Hornby GWR Hall

Bulwell Hall

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the running video. I enjoyed the review but it's nice to know she runs well too. I won't go for Olton Hall but will wait for the BR Green one , even though it's more expensive.

I see that the real Olton Hall is to be part of the revamped Harry Potter studio tour at Elstree. The press release draws attention to a souvenir shop specifically featuring Hogwarts Express models. Doubtless, that's why the Railroad 'Hall' is appearing in the shops now, as there has presumably been a run of models for the studios.

• RMweb Premium

I see that the real Olton Hall is to be part of the revamped Harry Potter studio tour at Elstree. The press release draws attention to a souvenir shop specifically featuring Hogwarts Express models. Doubtless, that's why the Railroad 'Hall' is appearing in the shops now, as there has presumably been a run of models for the studios.

I'm going to be quite peeved off if they get a whole load done as it was in the movie. Especially as I have ordered a custom set of etched plates, headboard etc and made my own transfers.

And still a hell of a lot of Wonga,methinks.

I've always thought that this specific train pack is a little overpriced.

I assume that its a full-fat rather than Railroad Hall; so the RRP would be around £120 (e.g. R3205).  Add in 3 BR Mk1 coaches @ around £25 each (e.g. R4644) and it seems that its worth around £195.  Not really much of a bargain to spend a fiver more for a train pack as the RRP is £200.

In contrast, I think that the WW1 Troop Train pack R3219 with an unlined Star and 3 clerestories is a snip at RRP of £155.

Also in stock at Hereford Model Centre for £179.99

I hope it's an optical illusion, but the tender G - crest - W insignia looks rather unaligned in the picture on HMC's website!

Also, I know it's a train pack that reflects the as currently preserved day loco, but the GWR livery with BR smokebox number and shedplates is a little esoteric in my view. I'd buy the Collett tender in that livery on it's own though. 

Can anyone make out the steam pipes - are they fully moulded or is there daylight behind? 

• RMweb Gold

I hope it's an optical illusion, but the tender G - crest - W insignia looks rather unaligned in the picture on HMC's website!

Also, I know it's a train pack that reflects the as currently preserved day loco, but the GWR livery with BR smokebox number and shedplates is a little esoteric in my view. I'd buy the Collett tender in that livery on it's own though. 

Can anyone make out the steam pipes - are they fully moulded or is there daylight behind? 

The image does look some what distorted

• RMweb Gold

I've always thought that this specific train pack is a little overpriced.

I assume that its a full-fat rather than Railroad Hall; so the RRP would be around £120 (e.g. R3205).  Add in 3 BR Mk1 coaches @ around £25 each (e.g. R4644) and it seems that its worth around £195.  Not really much of a bargain to spend a fiver more for a train pack as the RRP is £200.

In contrast, I think that the WW1 Troop Train pack R3219 with an unlined Star and 3 clerestories is a snip at RRP of £155.

There seem to be some bizarre discrepancies in Hornby's pricing here.I have to ask if this has been seriously thought through.....considering that the 'enhanced' Rood Ashton Hall will shortly be retailing at around the£100 mark....yes,I know it's a different era.Forgive me but this is a staggering mark up and one cannot help but compare it with recent train packs from a certain rival.

On the face of it,this is an attractive package but at a price which makes me ask if it's value for money.In short,I cannot justify to myself a purchase..a pity.

one cannot help but compare it with recent train packs from a certain rival.

For completeness, Bachmann's 30-525 Shakespeare Express Train Pack also contains a GWR Hall, also with 3 coaches for the same price of £200.  

The Hall is the same RRP as the Hornby equivalent, but two of the the coaches are Pullman (RRP £45 each) and the BR Mk 1 has a RRP of £33 and a bus is also included.  This equates to package cost of around £240, plus a bus.

I shall leave it for individual's to decide which is the better quality or better deal.  Or indeed, which they would prefer to own.

Thanks for the running video. I enjoyed the review but it's nice to know she runs well too. I won't go for Olton Hall but will wait for the BR Green one , even though it's more expensive.

Thanks Legend! Glad it was of help. Highly recommend and looking forward to seeing the BR one too. Post some pictures when you get your hands on one. :locomotive:

Thanks Oz, very interesting.  I must admit I haven't read the books at all, so can't confirm (or otherwise) the use of a name on the locomotive in print.  I just assumed it had been identified as a Castle by JK which led to my original curiosity.  I do agree on the Hall over a West Country, given those were the options at the time.

R.E.

There is a good answer here.

I think both the candidates (a West Country and a Hall) had a lot to do with being the most numerous steam engines in preservation and perhaps therefore considered more suitable by preservation cognoscenti as the most suitable sacrifice to an (unknown at that time) Hollywood production, that is now, ironically, one of the most famous preserved locomotives even in it's Frankenlivery finery.

At the end of the day the Hall was a far better choice than a West Country. It probably should have been something like a Jubilee, Princess Royal or Coronation to be consistent with what JK might have imagined when she wrote the book.

The first UK paperback cover looks like nothing in particular though perhaps a LNWR Claughton might be close?  Perhaps it should have been a "Schools" class? ;)

Either way it needed to be a big kettle to warm up all those potions that made it invisible to lineside muggles and impervious to other traffic on the line.

I don't remember the locomotive being referred to by any name in the book, though I haven't looked it up so please correct me if that is wrong. "Hogwarts Castle" is certainly the building and "Hogwarts Express" is the train. 

• RMweb Gold

There is a good answer here.

I think both the candidates (a West Country and a Hall) had a lot to do with being the most numerous steam engines in preservation and perhaps therefore considered more suitable by preservation cognoscenti as the most suitable sacrifice to an (unknown at that time) Hollywood production, that is now, ironically, one of the most famous preserved locomotives even in it's Frankenlivery finery.

At the end of the day the Hall was a far better choice than a West Country. It probably should have been something like a Jubilee, Princess Royal or Coronation to be consistent with what JK might have imagined when she wrote the book.

The first UK paperback cover looks like nothing in particular though perhaps a LNWR Claughton might be close?  Perhaps it should have been a "Schools" class? ;)

Either way it needed to be a big kettle to warm up all those potions that made it invisible to lineside muggles and impervious to other traffic on the line.

I don't remember the locomotive being referred to by any name in the book, though I haven't looked it up so please correct me if that is wrong. "Hogwarts Castle" is certainly the building and "Hogwarts Express" is the train. 

Quite a research job as the train features in all 7 books. But there's no mention of a name on the locomotive at all - neither is there any comment that it doesn't have one.

It's just described as a big scarlet steam locomotive, and that's all you get. Since the naming of Kings Cross as the Hogwarts Express departure point has been admitted to be a mistake for Euston, but once made in the first book had to be maintained for consistency, the big scarlet loco may well have been intended to be a Duchess, but far too late now!

"Taw Valley" was painted red for a book promotion tour well before any filming ever started. The author would arrive in a short charter train pulled by Taw Valley at various UK cities, with lots of footage on local TV and photos in local newspapers, do some interviews and book signings, and move on to the next place. I think the Bulleid was back to green before the Hall turned red.

• RMweb Gold

Just a passinhg comment but the Bachmann Hall, 6922, is not meant to be a modified Hall and should, therefore, provide a straight comparison - but unfortunately it has been fitted with modified Hall steam pipes. There - a tilt at Bachmann on a Hornby topic :-)

Although to be fair to Bachmann wasn't 6922 one of the latest batch of Bachmann Halls that were accidently manufactured with some modified hall components?

Once Bachmann realised the mistake they recalled the models and offered everyone who had bought one a full refund.

If you were comparing to one of the original release Bachmann Hall the steam pipes would be correct.

• RMweb Premium

The 'Pitchford Hall' train pack is reportedly now turning up in the shops. As the Mk.1s are from the main range, can we take it that they are lighted?

Are the Mk 1s main range? I haven't seen anything from Hornby one way or the other. As for light as standard for main range Mk1s, I suspect not. The jury should still be out with Hornby waiting to see how well the green Mk1s with lights have sold compared to those without before deciding to produce others. Or at least one would hope so.

I'm going to be quite peeved off if they get a whole load done as it was in the movie. Especially as I have ordered a custom set of etched plates, headboard etc and made my own transfers.

To end debate, argument, quarrelling, fighting in the Model Rail office, please can you confirm the correct wording for the loco nameplates (not the headboard) as it appears in the movie. I'm saying Hogwarts Castle but one who has actually seen the movies says I'm wrong.

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

To end debate, argument, quarrelling, fighting in the Model Rail office, please can you confirm the correct wording for the loco nameplates (not the headboard) as it appears in the movie. I'm saying Hogwarts Castle but one who has actually seen the movies says I'm wrong.

CHRIS LEIGH

I reckon 'Hogwarts Castle' is pretty much on the money although the pic linked below is not a film still

http://www.theaylesburynews.com/images/5972%20at%20Cheltenham.jpg

Archived