North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

Model Railway based on North East England large scale junction in the 1960's.

This is the ninth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.  As in the last film in this series much of the activity in is shot from on board the moving trains. Films from the time portrayed by the layout very rarely showed the views from the Goods train perspective. The goods guard had a unique view that not many people saw.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Doug,

I've just read in a reply that you gave to a comment on YouTube that you're planning the demolition of the layout. It will be very sad to see it go as your weekly videos are something special and unique on the forum. I do, however, look forward to whatever you have planned for the next layout. I hope that that too will be a source of these types of video. Will you be doing a build thread for it? I for one would be very interested in following that too.

Kind regards, Neil

Doug,

I've just read in a reply that you gave to a comment on YouTube that you're planning the demolition of the layout. It will be very sad to see it go as your weekly videos are something special and unique on the forum. I do, however, look forward to whatever you have planned for the next layout. I hope that that too will be a source of these types of video. Will you be doing a build thread for it? I for one would be very interested in following that too.

Kind regards, Neil

Hadn't realised that Doug, if you do re do it; How can you improve it, it has good running and some great Yards and gives a real sense of distance in the Videos.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Hadn't realised that Doug, if you do re do it; How can you improve it, it has good running and some great Yards and gives a real sense of distance in the Videos.

All the best with whatever you decide to do.

Andy and Neil,

The layout will be dismantled, it was built that way, no gallons of PVA glue here most is screwed together.

We are to move to smaller house and smaller means no room for something this size. I do have plans however, for a sophisticated layout taking up much less space and designed with new thinking.

I set out to make a record of the main line railways in the '60's and have made more than 250 films over the last ten years, I think that's job done.

Thank you for your support and encouragement,

Kind regards

Doug W.

• Like 1

This is the tenth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.

We start with a quick run through of the regular working of the Fish Train. riding on board the 08 Shunter removes the wagons from the Arrival/ Departure road and makes ready the train of new vehicles ready for despatch from the same road. Meanwhile some passenger movements go on in the background, all non stop. 

Edited by dougattrenholmebar
  • Like 2

This is the tenth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.
We start with a quick run through of the regular working of the Fish Train. riding on board the 08 Shunter removes the wagons from the Arrival/ Departure road and makes ready the train of new vehicles ready for despatch from the same road. Meanwhile some passenger movements go on in the background, all non stop. 

Excellent Doug, to get your Video to show as a Picture, just remove the ''s'' from the http.

Will you be starting a tread for he new build?

Excellent Doug, to get your Video to show as a Picture, just remove the ''s'' from the http.

Will you be starting a tread for he new build?

Thanks Andy I'll try that next week.

I haven't decided what to do yet. I may make a film or two of the dismantling of the layout, I don't think anybody's done that before. Still in two minds whether to make a film(s) of how I filmed this layout.  I may elect to keep some of the stations and link them together in a different way. The next layout will purely be a film set so a conventional layout it certainly will not be. Anyway, until the house is sold, its staying as it is. 

Kind regards

Doug W.

• RMweb Premium

Yes , sorry to see the layout is going to be dismantled. I'm a regular viewer from the links on here. I must admit it's a bit like train spotting watching one of your videos, but with the comfort of an armchair and red wine! Thoroughly enjoyed them and intrigued by how you manage to take pics from behind the driver in the dmu, or from the guards van.

Personally I always think it's sad when you see layouts being dismantled , so probably would not watch that. But certainly very interested in seeing a new layout emerging.

Finally many thanks for the hours of enjoyment . I wish you well in your house move and new layout

Yes , sorry to see the layout is going to be dismantled. I'm a regular viewer from the links on here. I must admit it's a bit like train spotting watching one of your videos, but with the comfort of an armchair and red wine! Thoroughly enjoyed them and intrigued by how you manage to take pics from behind the driver in the dmu, or from the guards van.

Personally I always think it's sad when you see layouts being dismantled , so probably would not watch that. But certainly very interested in seeing a new layout emerging.

Finally many thanks for the hours of enjoyment . I wish you well in your house move and new layout

Thanks for your words, Legend, glad you enjoy them.

Kind regards

Doug W.

• RMweb Gold

I may make a film or two of the dismantling of the layout, I don't think anybody's done that before. Still in two minds whether to make a film(s) of how I filmed this layout. 

I think I'm with Legend on the first one... While it may be interesting (as you say, I don't think it's been done before) it would certainly be a rather down hearted video. But I'd be very keen to see the second one. Even if you didn't want to put it on here to spoil the illusion you could put it on your blog...

But until your move become imminent I'll carry on being entertained by whatever you film!

Kind regards, Neil

• Like 1

I think I'm with Legend on the first one... While it may be interesting (as you say, I don't think it's been done before) it would certainly be a rather down hearted video. But I'd be very keen to see the second one. Even if you didn't want to put it on here to spoil the illusion you could put it on your blog...

But until your move become imminent I'll carry on being entertained by whatever you film!

Kind regards, Neil

Neil, If I get enough time, I might make the layout post-Beeching, when a substantial part of the track has been lifted, that won't quite be so sad......  It's quite interesting that I've virtually no communications about the layout from anybody until I mentioned it was to be dismantled. One other thing, I like the track plan in your footer Newcastle Emlyn and may use it in my next layout if you don't mind. Doug W.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One other thing, I like the track plan in your footer Newcastle Emlyn and may use it in my next layout if you don't mind. Doug W.

Feel free to use the NE plan. I can't claim credit for it as someone else designed it before me... in 1895! My NE thread has the story of the way the plan has developed from the OS map, but in it's current incarnation it's pretty close to prototype.

Just don't do it too quickly as otherwise I'll get disheartened by my lack of progress  :jester:

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Gold

It's quite interesting that I've virtually no communications about the layout from anybody until I mentioned it was to be dismantled.

Doug,

Sorry I meant to respond to this bit as well. I think the communications about your videos (both on here and on YouTube) comment significantly on the layout. The fact that I, and others, clearly see something special in the videos indicates that the layout itself has been built as a great model. While I appreciate that much may not be so called finescale it works for the videos and you don't notice the odd bit of ballast out of place or a gap under a canopy column. My nephew (8 years old) has watched your Christmas special through four times in the last 8 months without getting bored... that says a lot!

So sorry I've not commented on the layout. But my comments about your videos are about the whole package, layout, trains, scheduling, filming and editing. Thanks for doing all of them and providing so much entertainment.

Kind regards, Neil

Doug,

Sorry I meant to respond to this bit as well. I think the communications about your videos (both on here and on YouTube) comment significantly on the layout. The fact that I, and others, clearly see something special in the videos indicates that the layout itself has been built as a great model. While I appreciate that much may not be so called finescale it works for the videos and you don't notice the odd bit of ballast out of place or a gap under a canopy column. My nephew (8 years old) has watched your Christmas special through four times in the last 8 months without getting bored... that says a lot!

So sorry I've not commented on the layout. But my comments about your videos are about the whole package, layout, trains, scheduling, filming and editing. Thanks for doing all of them and providing so much entertainment.

Kind regards, Neil

Neil, Thanks for your words, much appreciated, I wasn't having a go at anybody it was merely an observation and I know there are a small band of people who both on here and on YouTube who I have regular contact with.

I've seen your thread about the plan, I like the operating potential and the filming possibilities. The new layout will have tunnels which lead to places and further tunnels and this plan fits quite well using the tunnel as the entrance and exit from the scene.

Doug 

• Like 1

This is the eleventh in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.
The Parcels Train in the departure road pulls off with a camera man on board followed by the arrival of a Standard Class locomotive with two vans which it deposits into the Station Bay. The camera man is keen to lean a far way from the cab to get his shots. Afterwards, the locomotive picks up the train of new vehicles. We then ride in the guards van through the main station, and, after picking up  a new crew we thread our way through the traffic to places far afield.

• Like 7

This is the twelfth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.

Following on from the end of the last film we see the train of new vehicles disappearing into the tunnel as D5100 sets off on its route to the lower marshalling yard. Throughout this film we then ride in the guards van back through the main station, this time via the station avoidance road across Trenholme Junction and into the reception/departure road. The locomotive removes itself from the train, the shunter takes open wagons onto the headshunt, and the locomotive reattaches itself to the reminder of the train, ready for departure.

The last act showing another train arriving to be processed.   

• Like 2

This is the thirteenth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.

Following on from the end of the last film, this sequence of events is filmed entirely using the Sony HDR-AS10 camera I usually reserve for the on board shots. 

The great thing about this camera is has a terrific depth of field and width which shows long shots very well. Its small size also means you can get shots in really confined spaces. 

• Like 2

This is the fourteenth in a series of films based around the South East station and is about activities in both the yard throat and on the station.

Following on from the end of the last film, this sequence of events is another filmed entirely using the Sony HDR-AS10 camera I usually reserve for the on board shots. 

The great thing about this camera is has a terrific depth of field and width which shows long shots very well. Its small size also means you can get shots in really confined spaces. 

Riding on board diesel hauled stopping train past the Marshalling Yard followed by the shunter attaching  a Brake Van. Steam takes an empty mineral train through the station road whilst we ride in the Brake Vans, switching views, and then jumping to the mixed goods train coming the other way.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
I don't think there is anything better than standing on the verandah of a goods train clanking and clattering along on a sunny day in 1962. Those who had to do the job may disagree, but most of us never had the opportunity to experience this viewpoint. In this film a Black Five picks up a rake of Sand and Conflat empties and makes its way through Trenholme Junction to some far off place.
From the model point of view, there are three Hornby 'Fives' on the layout. They must be the finest mass produced models ever produced. I cannot fault them. They are beautiful to look at, everything is just right, and, their performance is second to none, but you don't to take my word for it, watch the film.    

• Like 4

Morning Doug, I've just had a nice sit down over breakfast watching a couple more Videos, and I must say, the Brake Van rides are superb, especially going through he Yards and trying to count the 16T minerals, hahha..

Excellent, thanks.

Morning Doug, I've just had a nice sit down over breakfast watching a couple more Videos, and I must say, the Brake Van rides are superb, especially going through he Yards and trying to count the 16T minerals, hahha..

Excellent, thanks.

Thank you Andrew

Great film/s again!  Enjoyed watching these!

Thank you for your comments

• Like 1

Following last weeks film, riding in the Guards Van of a goods train had such a good reception, this weeks offering is in a  similar theme.  Trenholme Junction is set at the time when both steam and diesel locomotives shared the workload, so in this film we ride in the guards van of a Class 25 locomotive number D5211. The train has a number of mineral wagons, a pipe load and empty Conflats. I always think that credit should be given to manufacturers when they produce really excellent products and the whole of the BoBo range of Diesels produced by Bachmann are just that.

This journey follows the goods lines for most of the way, before disappearing into the tunnels for destinations unknown.   

This will be the last film before Christmas Day

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Doug,

Another really great video ride in a brake van. It's always such a great way to travel around the layout taking in all of the surrounding whilst being mesmerised by the long train snaking back and forth in front of you.

"...last film before Christmas Day." Does that mean we're in for another Christmas special? :)

Kind regards, Neil