Tackeroo - The Cannock Chase Military Railway project

Andy Y

wel the link to the picture states "water tower parts"

They are parts no longer. Well not until it falls off the bench.

My thanks to Phil at Intentio - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97519-intentio/ and http://intentio.co.uk/ for helping me out with this one as my first go at designing something for laser-cutting and the super-fast turnaround. I made a few mistakes along the way in the design process (all my fault) but nothing that I couldn't work around in the assembly. It all went together well and an awful lot quicker than if I'd just done it in styrene or brass. Money well spent in that context.

Assembly_11s.jpg

Pipes and fittings still to be added.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

They are parts no longer. Well not until it falls off the bench.

My thanks to Phil at Intentio - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/97519-intentio/ and http://intentio.co.uk/ for helping me out with this one as my first go at designing something for laser-cutting and the super-fast turnaround. I made a few mistakes along the way in the design process (all my fault) but nothing that I couldn't work around in the assembly. It all went together well and an awful lot quicker than if I'd just done it in styrene or brass. Money well spent in that context.

attachicon.gifAssembly_11s.jpg

Pipes and fittings still to be added.

'Like' & 'Craftsmanship etc...' buttons are not enough.

'Blimey', or even 'Gor Blimey' would be much better.

Regards

Ian

That looks great, do you seal the wood before assembly or just spray it once built?

I recommend a good coat of Halfords Primer. I find the red oxide primer is a good place to start for brickwork and the grey for everything else.

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite pleased with the end result, the only improvements are things I could have done at the design stage and to have stuck my neck out and gone for 1mm thick material, maybe even card for the panel relief but I'm new to it and would have thought it would have been way too flimsy.

attachicon.gifFin1s.jpg

It's not quite the end result though as I'll be testing a couple of liquids and I'm deliberating the colour of the tank panels. Working off black and white images it just looks dark. Black? Dark Grey? Who knows?

I love it.

In your face !!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite pleased with the end result, the only improvements are things I could have done at the design stage and to have stuck my neck out and gone for 1mm thick material, maybe even card for the panel relief but I'm new to it and would have thought it would have been way too flimsy.

attachicon.gifFin1s.jpg

It's not quite the end result though as I'll be testing a couple of liquids and I'm deliberating the colour of the tank panels. Working off black and white images it just looks dark. Black? Dark Grey? Who knows?

I think the tank and therefore all of it would be Black bitumen / tar paint (that is coal tar dissolved in a solvent).   

When I worked at Evostik (many moons ago) we marketed Bitumen paint for painting water tanks.  whilst I was there (maybe 20 years ago) bitumen paint was banned for use on water tanks..  what they were talking about was painting the inside of tanks.   However Bitumen or tar paints is very practical on steel, cheep and easy to repaint without too much prep.

I should say when first applied the paint is jet shinny Black put the material oxidises very quickly to a matt Black 

Andy

Andy

• Like 1

attachicon.gifFin1s.jpg

Andy,

Card might have worked really well but I really like how it has turned out. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The original plan was to stick the track bed directly into the shaped slab of foam and then bond 6 mm ply straight on top having previously constructed the track work

It turned out not to be that practical, at 6mm the ply does pick up the undulations in the foam track bed and you cant get the sleeper spacing around joints without the joints being assembled.

So the middle board (that's the complicated one with the ordinance store and the sunken siding) had its foam track bed cut away and timber piers erected from the base board.

see here..post-8894-0-60307400-1486845374_thumb.jpgpost-8894-0-26864200-1486845428_thumb.jpgpost-8894-0-26038800-1486845293_thumb.jpg

Lots of fiddling with levels.   Think I have it right and the Sticks like sh*t was applied this afternoon.  Need to finish the track work and the turnout control.  Note access to the tortoise motors is much better with the new stilted track bed construction.

Andy

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Historic England have been working with the Cannock Chase Through Time Project to use LIDAR aerial survey images to map the camps and other features. 

https://historicengland.org.uk/research/research-results/recent-research-results/west-midlands/cannock-chase/

The results are interesting as they can strip off most of the vegetation to reveal the ground surface. You may recognise the area shown in the first image in their post!