Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

Several shunter designs could have a higher speed if the con rods were removed.

Otherwise, it would have taken "ages" and clogged up paths.

Trouble is, I have no idea which shunters this pertained to or what speed increase was gained.

I did see several examples going past my house, in the 70s, on the Standedge route.

Kev.

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, SHMD said:

Several shunter designs could have a higher speed if the con rods were removed.

Otherwise, it would have taken "ages" and clogged up paths.

Trouble is, I have no idea which shunters this pertained to or what speed increase was gained.

I did see several examples going past my house, in the 70s, on the Standedge route.

Kev.

The PWM series had a motor disengage function which meant they could be towed in ordinary freight trains.

1 hour ago, LMS2968 said:

Just to be pedantic, that's actually a Black Five.

Thanks for that info. I did spend some time trying to decide, but concluded the running plate was too low for a Black 5; but as you can tell, I'm no expert. 

5 hours ago, jonny777 said:

How did some small diesel shunters travel to/from works visits? Many were attached to loose coupled freight trains, but others must have moved like this example on the S&C behind a Black 5 (thanks to LMS2968 for the correction).

787983095_48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.c510d3b543d72393a1c0078929642cc0.jpg

I have zoomed in on the detail, but am still not entirely sure which class of shunter that is. 

744708345_Copyof48xxxd2xxxsc1966.jpg.d7472aeec5a4be3537b45376952af6d3.jpg

See this absolutely magnificent video at around 17:20 for an example of an in-train shunter movement:

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, melmerby said:

.......  I have a book with a 1930s colour photo of a train at Oxford with King Arthur 742 and a train of SR & GW stock, nicely mixed up.

The first coach is an 8 compartment from the Southern, then a GW brake something, followed by two more different Southern coaches, then 5 GW and (possibly two) more SR on the end.

The first and second Southern coaches are definitely LSWR ( type ) "Ironclad" vehicles and the third looks to be an older LSWR panelled one - so they'd all have BS gangways as standard. ( Odd not to see any Maunsells in a 1939 Birkenhead- Bournemouth ! )

45 minutes ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

See this absolutely magnificent video at around 17:20 for an example of an in-train shunter movement:

My only issue with it is the dubbed on sound, and this is a long-standing issue for me. You see an engine pulling away from a platform but the exhaust sounds like its doing 40 to 50 mph. And when you check, it turns out there are nine beats per revolution of the coupled wheels. In that respect, this video is worse than most, unfortunately.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

My only issue with it is the dubbed on sound, and this is a long-standing issue for me. You see an engine pulling away from a platform but the exhaust sounds like its doing 40 to 50 mph. And when you check, it turns out there are nine beats per revolution of the coupled wheels. In that respect, this video is worse than most, unfortunately.

I kind of agree but I just watch not listen!

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Is there any reason to believe that diesel shunter belonged to any British Railways class ? .......... it could have been a classless military or industrial item !

Difficult to say, the photo hasn't got enough definition to be sure. It looks like it has BR style numbers on the cabside, and those look like BR standard wasp stripes on the front-but that doesn't rule out a military or industrial shunter. Or it could be a BR shunter sold into industrial use, and being transferred.

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Is there any reason to believe that diesel shunter belonged to any British Railways class ? .......... it could have been a classless military or industrial item !

There were a few shunter designs which didn't get a TOPS class but still had the older Dx/x type classification.

e.g. D2755 (only as it was mentioned earlier) was Class DY then D2/10

http://www.railway-centre.com/d2708---d2780.html

From http://www.railway-centre.com/traction-recognition.html

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

Yes, it's clearly an NB 0-4-0 from the D2745 series, is it going north or south? Some of these were transferred to England (Crewe?) in later years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 60021 Pen-y-Ghent said:

Anyone know a likely reason (other than a local bodge repair) why the mineral wagon at circa 1:10 has the bauxite panels on the lower body sides with the rest in grey?

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Elf-Express_Haworth-Sheds_78022_08993_5820_06_01.20_05.JPG.f0ed2b16d5a780866a968d1393e7b3dd.JPG

Unsure what era or region to model?  Go preserved!

That's a BR green 2MT, hauling a short train comprised of MK1 stock and a vintage Lancashire and Yorkshire carriage, having passed an ex-Welsh (former Burry Port line) cut-down-cab class 08 in EWS colours, that itself was shunting a US Army Transportation Corps S160.  All beside a former mill in West Yorkshire :)

Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, yesterday morning, whilst we were out for a walk to Haworth park.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Wickham Green too said:

A new state-of-the-art self-propelled ballast delivery system is demonstrated to the public at Andover in 1986 : -

156.28.jpg

........... unfortunately, the loading arrangements have yet to be perfected.

They seem to have attracted a decent crowd. The occasion must have been well advertised.