jonny777

Prototype for everything corner.

What a great photo.

Something I wouldn't have given a second glance to, at the time, let alone a first one.

Now I crave a metro valley Unit!

Kev.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I don't fancy yours much...

DMU variety @ Doncaster, 30/12/1976 [slide 7604]

Hi Monty,

I'm reliving the 1970's !!!

That photograph reminds me of what was up to the buffers at Southport back in the day.

Gibbo.

• Like 2

Or the quad-port class 56 !!

100_6899.jpg.cb3bf8d0579f27c3c90ec8755129b53e.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 11

On 24/06/2020 at 19:53, SHMD said:

What a great photo.

Something I wouldn't have given a second glance to, at the time, let alone a first one.

Now I crave a metro valley Unit!

Kev.

Oh for a Met-Camm unit from Shrewsbury to Aberystwyth or Pwllheli. If you were really lucky, in the downgraded 1st class saloon, at the front, and the driver was nice & left the blinds up. :)

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, Phil Mc said:

Or the quad-port class 56 !!

100_6899.jpg.cb3bf8d0579f27c3c90ec8755129b53e.jpg

Cheers,

Phil.

Looks like the fireman's just put some more coal on the fire.

• Agree 1

I reckon Bulleid's experiments with the Leader had carried on despite the project having been officially cancelled.

He carried on the subterfuge by hiding the gubbins inside contemporary diesel loco bodies thinking that nobody would notice.:D

• Funny 7

So much for clean air!

Why do diesel locos do that?

In the US it's not unusual to get bursts of flames as well (even without a blown turbo)

"Boss, we've run out of sheet metal for the cab..... but we have found this old water tank...."

Jersey Eastern Railway Sentinel

Jersery Eastern Railway Sentinel

• Like 9

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"Boss, we've run out of sheet metal for the cab..... but we have found this old water tank...."

Jersey Eastern Railway Sentinel 

Weelll ...... FORMER Jersey Eastern Railway Sentinel ..................... what a great shame 'DOM' is no more ! - maybe someone should build a replica - starting with a water tank, of course.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

More coal fired impersonators.  Not my video but I was standing next to the guy who filed it taking still shots!

I hope no-one had their washing out!.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

37xxx.jpg.b28a499a7a423fa8735dcc44a08e50f2.jpg

Here’s another unhealthy specimen. I remember pulling off the southbound M6 somewhere in Cumbria or Lancashire having seen this train waiting in a loop and assuming it would follow the next up passenger, which it did. Other than that, I don't know the exact location, loco number, what train it was or even the date (apart from early 90s).  

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

So much for clean air!

Why do diesel locos do that?

In the US it's not unusual to get bursts of flames as well (even without a blown turbo)

White smoke = water, normally from a head gasket or cracked liner, but could also be an leaking inter-cooler.

Blue smoke = oil, which indicates the piston rings have gone, or turbocharger seals.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel, which normally means the injectors are worn and not atomising the fuel properly.

Puffing black smoke = unburnt fuel from a single injector or sticking fuel pump over delivering fuel, possibly accompanied by loud banging.

Flames = unburnt fuel eventually burning in the exhaust system.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

With a diesel white smoke is usually vapourised diesel - i.e. fuel is being injected but the cylinder is not firing. Most prevalent on EE engines cold starting, plenty of videos on youtube for reference!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Titan said:

With a diesel white smoke is usually vapourised diesel - i.e. fuel is being injected but the cylinder is not firing. Most prevalent on EE engines cold starting, plenty of videos on youtube for reference!

On a cold engine, yes it will be white-ish, but if it is hot, it will be coolant, as vapourised fuel would burn in the exhaust system at running temperatures, and on an EE with straight out the turbo exhaust ports, flames. Hence the unofficial volcano names applied by Tinsley...

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, Davexoc said:

White smoke = water, normally from a head gasket or cracked liner, but could also be an leaking inter-cooler.

Blue smoke = oil, which indicates the piston rings have gone, or turbocharger seals.

Black smoke = unburnt fuel, which normally means the injectors are worn and not atomising the fuel properly.

Puffing black smoke = unburnt fuel from a single injector or sticking fuel pump over delivering fuel, possibly accompanied by loud banging.

Flames = unburnt fuel eventually burning in the exhaust system.

White smoke = sneaky ciggie in the cab

Blue smoke = sneaky ciggie dropped in lap

Black smoke = sneaky ciggie dropped in lap then brushed off into bag which set on fire

Puffing black smoke = ex Steam driver

Flames = run away

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

12 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Flames = run away

Unless it's a Class 37, in which case disable fire alarm and carry on as normal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

I don't fancy yours much Pt 2.

Leeds 1984

07/07/1984 - Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Leeds has changed a bit these days

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Leeds 1984

Like your number 12 shirt choice for the last dance in some dodgy night club in the 80's! 

I think I'll go for a kebab lads.......

Some great photos here! 

Regards 

Guy

• Funny 2

2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Leeds 1984

There must be a guy with a paintbrush and a tin of warning panel yellow just out of shot, as you just don't get that much clean paintwork in one place....!

• Funny 1